:laughing: 100 %
By Andy McDandy
Protestantism was about reforming the church and reevaluating man's relationship with God. Anglicanism is Catholicism with the serial numbers filed off, invented so a guy could dump his wife without much hassle.
By Youngian
Henry VIII’s Protestants successors were serious about their religion rather than just a power play with the Vatican.
The subject came up in a thread by George Galloway on Charles’s oath to maintain Protestant ascendancy. An insult to Catholics in Britain and a dangerous constitutional protocol, George argued. One poster told him to calm down, the New Model Army would be after Charles’s Anglican head for displaying blasphemous Papist flummery before getting around to arresting Galloway in the confession box.
By Bones McCoy
Andy McDandy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:29 am Protestantism was about reforming the church and reevaluating man's relationship with God. Anglicanism is Catholicism with the serial numbers filed off, invented so a guy could dump his wife without much hassle.
To be fair to the Episcopalians, they've spread a bit since them.
One end overlaps Catholicism and apes its dress ceremony and splendour.
Hence the ease of Anne Widdecombe and others swapping denominations.

At the other there's a fairly stripped down tendency with beards and guitars replacing the cassocks and choirboys.
I suspect this has always been there, since the church has had several breakaways like the Wesleyans since the reformation.

Most of the big protestant groups in England and Wales are Anabaptists or Arminists, not Lutherans or Calvinists.
By AOB
He should be calling for the people paying for it to get an extra day off. I would expect nothing less from No 10 to oppose an extra day, I don't want the Labour leader nodding along. I should've worded the previous better- he didn't like MPs joining strikers on picket lines. I could understand neutrality on his part, "join one if you want" but not speaking against them for doing so.
By Andy McDandy
Also remember that their fiscal prudence goes out of the window in certain situations.

Royalty
War
Recreating Hogwarts (see JRM insisting on every MP getting bound copies of Hansard, despite the thing being available online; or his sister during her spell as an MEP moaning about having a tablet)
Transferring public funds into private hands
By davidjay
No-one should be surprised. For all his supposed attempts at reform, Brian is as much a bread & circuses man as the next monarch. He is, and I have said this many times, a macro version of the kindly eighteenth century landowner who knew all his tenants' names, gave them a farthing at Christmas and would have them transported to van Diemen's Land for poaching a rabbit. The rich man in his castle...
By Oboogie
davidjay wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:50 pm No-one should be surprised. For all his supposed attempts at reform, Brian is as much a bread & circuses man as the next monarch. He is, and I have said this many times, a macro version of the kindly eighteenth century landowner who knew all his tenants' names, gave them a farthing at Christmas and would have them transported to van Diemen's Land for poaching a rabbit. The rich man in his castle...
But is it Charles or is it really Sunak who's behind this?
By Andy McDandy
Liz, I suspect, may well have been frugal in private, but she sure loved the bling when on the job.

I think this is partly the palace, partly the PM. Britain means royalty and heritage and pomp and ceremony; and anyone disagreeing - whether an out and out republican or just calling for restraint - can be painted as doing the country down, unpatriotic, probably a lefty remainer who reads books and that.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]