:sunglasses: 46.2 % :laughing: 23.1 % 🧥 7.7 % :cry: 7.7 % :poo: 15.4 %
By Oboogie
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:57 pm It feels very strange. I was born in the reign of his grandfather, but for almost my whole life monarch has equalled 'queen'. I wonder if people have always felt this disconnection at the death of a monarch? Is monarchy deeper in my psyche than I thought? Like the Bible.
Surely rarity plays a large part? We've just had the longest period in British history without the death of a monarch. My grandfather, on the other hand, was the subject of six monarchs in his lifetime four of whom died, I doubt those deaths had as much impact on him.
By Oboogie
In 1979 I attended my sister's graduation. The ceremony concluded with the national anthem which our dad bellowed out at the top of his lungs. My 15 year old self was embarrassed and amused that he sang God Save The King 26 flippin' years after it went out of date. Today I grew some sympathy, I wonder how long it'll take me to adjust.
Arrowhead liked this
By kreuzberger
How strange. I was 101% certain that I wouldn't give a cuss about the death of the Queen. I do care though, and deeply so.

I have never felt this feeling before and I have thought for an hour or so about what I am trying to process. Yes, it is a certain type of sadness and regret but, otherwise, I am completely stumped.

This came from a friend;
I think she was rather cool turning flower beds into veggie patches and driving trucks in WW2.
It brought a tear to my eye.
davidjay, zuriblue liked this
By davidjay
kreuzberger wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:49 pm How strange. I was 101% certain that I wouldn't give a cuss about the death of the Queen. I do care though, and deeply so.

I have never felt this feeling before and I have thought for an hour or so about what I am trying to process. Yes, it is a certain type of sadness and regret but, otherwise, I am completely stumped.

This came from a friend;
I think she was rather cool turning flower beds into veggie patches and driving trucks in WW2.
It brought a tear to my eye.
Is exactly what I felt. It might be to do with the passing of someone who has always been there, or a sense of loss for times past, or the knowledge that everything comes to an end eventually, or the uncertainty of what happens next. I don't know, but I do know I feel sadder than I ever thought I would.
By Oboogie
Keir Starmer has a good take on her:

"Today we mourn the passing of a remarkable sovereign.
It is a deep private loss for the Royal Family and our first thoughts are with them at this time. The nation shares in their grief.
Queen Elizabeth II created a special, personal relationship with us all. A relationship based on service and devotion to her country. Nobody under the age of 70 has known anything other than Queen Elizabeth II on the throne. For the vast majority of us, the late Queen has been simply the Queen. The only Queen. Above all else, our Queen.
As we mourn her loss, we should also treasure her life. Our longest-serving and greatest ever monarch. Above the clashes of politics, she stood not for what the nation fought over but what it agreed upon. In crisis, she reassured us. Reminding us that we are all part of something that stretches back through time. A symbol of the best of us. I saw it for myself when I led the Crown Prosecution Service.
Every time I had the privilege to meet the late Queen, she would ask the most searching questions because she wanted to understand the lives and struggles of her people. And as Britain changed rapidly around her, this dedication became the still point of our turning world. An example that taught us that whatever the challenges we face, the value of service always endures.
And the obvious love the late Queen displayed for Britain, the British people gave back in return. That is why there is such an outpouring of grief across the nation today. As there is across the Commonwealth to which the late Queen was so devoted.
Around the world, people are united in mourning. And united in celebrating her life. This togetherness is a reminder of what she achieved. A reminder of our shared values. Values which I know will be upheld by her beloved son, Charles, our new King.
So as our great Elizabethan era comes to an end, we will honour the late Queen’s memory by keeping alive the values of public service she embodied.
For seventy years, Elizabeth II stood as the head of our country. But, in spirit, she stood amongst us."

Keir Starmer
Leader of the Labour Party
By Spoonman
The Weeping Angel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:20 pm
Spoonman wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:24 pm
The Weeping Angel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:46 pm
Man who typically sneers at ‘snowflakes’ demands you stop making Queen jokes

https://newsthump.com/2022/09/08/man-wh ... een-jokes/
That isn't what twlldun or me for that matter are saying.
Whilst you're right, the two circles in the Venn diagram would definitely overlap. A lot.
By RedSparrows
Crabcakes wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:33 am Christ on a bike. I think Dacre’s had a stroke or something, as this is insane even for him

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -away.html
Compare and contrast to some snot about 'African voodoo beliefs' and whatnot.
Oboogie liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]