:sunglasses: 46.2 % :laughing: 23.1 % 🧥 7.7 % :cry: 7.7 % :poo: 15.4 %
By Youngian
Watching the biographies it appears the Queen’s legend only took off in 1977 and they don’t seem very sure footed in the 50s and 60s. Even Witchell noted that sister Margaret and her colourful antics attracted more attention in the 60s. Wilson and Heath were the first PMs that didn’t come from her class but it looked like Her Maj was still on the grouse moor with MacMillan and Douglas-Home. The 1969 documentary was a disaster and it would be interesting to give it another showing. Windsors are masters of reinvention but it took some time for Liz and Phil to find their way.
By Abernathy
You know, I used to scoff at all that guff about a lifetime of devoted service to the British people. I took the view that I’d happily devote my life to “serving” the British people if all it entailed was meeting an elected politician once a week and trying to talk some sense into him/her, doing a bit of ceremonial frippry every so often, opening things, shaking hands , and asking people if they’ve come far. Particularly since it comes with phenomenal wealth, property, and your every possible need, requirement, and comfort catered for with the very best of everything available.

Since Brenda croaked, however, I’m almost starting to believe the “lifetime of service” guff. The brainwashing must be getting through to me.
By The Weeping Angel
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:54 am
The Weeping Angel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:07 pm Oh god the discourse around the Queen's death is truly mind numbingly stupid.
If the Queen got all those people killed, did she also set up the NHS and build Crossrail?
Perhaps the weirdest claim is the Nigerian professor who claimed that the Queen was responsible for the Nigerian Civil War and the genocide against the Igbo. Now I'm no expert but I tend to blame the people who were running Nigeria at the time.
By Tubby Isaacs
I've seen other people arguing that the Queen would have stopped it by "speaking up". I suppose you could get the impression from some of the silly commentary that the Queen was the "power behind the Prime Minister's throne" or something. But I think she'd have pretty rapidly been told to shut up by the Labour Government and the Tory Opposition.
By The Weeping Angel
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:53 pm I've seen other people arguing that the Queen would have stopped it by "speaking up". I suppose you could get the impression from some of the silly commentary that the Queen was the "power behind the Prime Minister's throne" or something. But I think she'd have pretty rapidly been told to shut up by the Labour Government and the Tory Opposition.
Yeah I'm not saying what the Wilson government did was right. But the blame for that lies with them not the Queen.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
By Watchman
The following random thought was prompted by my next door neighbour explaining to his youngest, who's 9, what was going on.
So I got to thinking; for my generation (born mid 1950's), this is obviously the only monarch we have known, but for some one of that age (say 65) when QE2 came to the throne, they would already have memories of 3 ruling monarchs, an abdication, and still be old enough to remember the death of Victoria !
By The Weeping Angel
Watchman wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:46 pm The following random thought was prompted by my next door neighbour explaining to his youngest, who's 9, what was going on.
So I got to thinking; for my generation (born mid 1950's,) this is obviously the only monarch we have known, but for some one of that age (say 65) when QE2 can to the throne, they would already have memories of 3 ruling monarchs, an abdication, and still be old enough to remember the death of Victoria !
That's exactly my thought as well.
By soulboy
Crabcakes wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:52 am Another random thought: bar a sensationally unlikely set of events, no one alive today is likely to hear “god save the Queen” as the national anthem again.
Is it that unlikely? Of course we may find that Sweet Caroline replaces the dirge or a republican revolution occurs but if we stay a Monarchy it would only need something to happen to George.

In terms of the Order of Succession, Charlotte is third in line. Prince William is 40 so even with a long and healthy life that scenario could be only fifty or so years away.
Oboogie liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]