:sunglasses: 100 %
By kreuzberger
It is quite conceivable that these pages, at least as wireframe drafts, would have been ready to go and run past legal before a single word went to press. Unless there are specifically libellous sentences in the copy, not altogether unlikely, this action is unlikely to succeed.

Being a nasty, vindictive toilet of a rag is depressingly legal.
By Abernathy
I’m simply bemused that anyone with a grain of intelligence is remotely interested in this confected guff. Simply astonishing the way that these tabloid bogrolls seek to manipulate simpletons into hating (and I’m not just talking about Prince Hazzer and Princess Megan).
Last edited by Abernathy on Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By kreuzberger
Aye, that too. I wandered back over to 5 Live this morning and listened to the bile. Suckers, really. A diet of not much bread and endless circuses of hate to distract them from the less than envious position of being stranded on an island of enduring misery.

If I was still there, I would be hot-footing it to Dover to cut a deal on a dinghy for the return trip.
Abernathy liked this
By Youngian
Abernathy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:38 pm I’m simply bemused that anyone with a grain of intelligence is remotely interested in this confected guff. Simply astonishing the way that these tabloid bogrolls seek to manipulate simpletons into hating (and I’m not just talking about Prince Hazzer and Princess Megan.
Even worse than that as ludicrous culture war battle lines are being drawn like a Don King spectacular. Don discovered conservative people liked Joe Fraser and loathed Muhammad Ali. Counter culture types the exact opposite. Fight!
Find the royals even less interesting than Formula One but like Mosley, start taking shots at Murdoch and Rothermere and you have my full attention.
By satnav
In the latest episode Meghan says that all the negative press coverage possibly caused her to miscarry a baby and consider suicide. Hours later Jan Moir responds by another negative article.

Apparently William is going to keep a dignified silence but he appears to be happy for his staff friends in the media to do his bidding for him.
By The Weeping Angel
Here's a good write up of part two

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... es/672478/
Well, here we all are again. Ready for three more hours of expensively lit retribution? I hope so, because the second half of Netflix’s documentary Harry & Meghan dropped today, covering the four and a half years from the couple’s wedding to the present day.

The final three episodes of this six-hour series—Ken Burns needed just three times as long to get through the entire Vietnam war—focus on the Royal Family’s relationship with the press (again). Over and over, Harry and Meghan’s departure from Britain is presented as a missed opportunity for racial healing, for generational change, for a new social awareness in a stuffy institution. It was, as the British journalist Afua Hirsch declares, “the death of a dream.” This recurrent motif gives the whole documentary the unfortunate air of a late-night message left on your ex’s voicemail, insisting that you are happy to have moved on, and are having a great life, actually.

The Royal Family’s approach to the media has been to “never complain, never explain.” This is very much not the Harry-and-Meghan way, and so they have taken to the media to settle their scores with the media. I can’t help but suspect that, deep down, they know they will never have as good an opportunity to monetize their fame again, and so litigating their beefs with the Windsors and the press in spectacular fashion is their equivalent of a 401(k). Harry’s brother, William, who has a kingdom to inherit one day, has so far not commented in response.

The backbone of the story is Meghan’s invasion-of-privacy suit against the Mail on Sunday, the London tabloid that published excerpts of a letter she had written to her father, urging him to stop selling stories about her. At one point, Harry suggests that the stress over this court case led Meghan to miscarry in July 2020. “Now, do we absolutely know the miscarriage was caused by that? Of course we don’t,” he says. “But bearing in mind the stress that caused, the lack of sleep, the timing of the pregnancy, how many weeks in she was, I can say, from what I saw, that miscarriage was created by what they were trying to do to her.” Harry already blamed media intrusion for his mother’s death, and now he blames it for his unborn child’s death, too.

This is, to be fair, an enormous burden to carry—all the more so because he seems to believe that his brother is complicit in his treatment by the press. The other headline accusation in today’s episodes is that staffers for William, now the prince of Wales, fed the British media gossip about Meghan in exchange for burying damaging stories about their own boss. (What kind of stories might those be? Harry declines to speculate.) This is entirely believable; various households within the Royal Family have been at loggerheads forever. In the 18th century, the rift between George II and his son Frederick was so deep that the king cut off his heir’s allowance. Frederick, who had wanted to marry an English aristocrat named Lady Diana Spencer—yes, time is a flat circle—then settled down with a German princess. When she got pregnant, they lied about the due date so that the king and queen would not be present at the birth. Nearly 300 years later, Harry and Meghan did exactly the same to outwit the British press. Instead of announcing that she had gone into labor, they waited until their son, Archie, had been born to release a statement.

Sometimes I wonder if Harry would benefit from reading more royal history; it might help him understand, the way literature often does, that his problems are not unique. I found these episodes more tragic than the first three, because they raise doubts about whether the Windsor brothers’ rift can ever be repaired. In the fifth hour of the series, Harry describes the meeting in January 2020 to decide the terms of his departure from Britain; Meghan had already flown to Canada, so he went alone to a summit with his family at Sandringham in Norfolk. Harry explains that he wanted to be “half in, half out,” pursuing his own career while supporting the royal brand. The Queen; his father, then-Prince Charles; and William had other ideas. “It was terrifying to have my brother scream and shout at me,” he says. “And my father say things that just simply weren’t true, my grandmother quietly sit there and take it all in.”

These episodes repeat the assertion in the first three that Meghan and Harry have never had a real chance to tell their story. Never mind that, in addition to sitting for a prime-time interview with Oprah Winfrey last year, Meghan also cooperated with the writers Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand, the authors of a sympathetic biography of the couple. In the course of her privacy litigation, she falsely told a court that she “did not contribute” to the book. After a member of the royal household revealed that he’d had multiple meetings with her to agree what briefing points to share with Scobie and Durand, Meghan said she had forgotten about doing so and apologized to the court. The Netflix series does not discuss this.

Omissions like this make me think a less hagiographic treatment would have served the couple better. Harry & Meghan is a perfect blend of love story and quest for vengeance, and moment-to-moment it is extremely compelling. But its lacunae mean that if you know anything about the royal soap opera, then from the minute you stop watching, awkward questions begin to bubble into your mind. The relentlessly one-sided narrative makes you feel manipulated.

Not coincidentally, manipulative is a word that Meghan-haters (who are legion) frequently apply to her, alongside variations such as calculating, narcissistic, self-dramatizing, fake. The Netflix documentary is the case for primarily her defense—Harry, despite being a literal prince, feels very much like the supporting cast. The friends Meghan calls up in pivotal moments are her friends. She is the one who gets a text from Beyoncé, who, Meghan reports, says “she admires and respects my bravery and vulnerability and thinks I was selected to break generational curses that need to be healed.” (This was a moment of culture shock; as a Briton, I have wonderful, lifelong close friends who wouldn’t say anything this nice about me if taken to a CIA black site.) Remember the Oprah sit-down, where Harry was brought on halfway through? Or the recent Meghan interview in The Cut where he plays a walk-on part to say she’s beautiful like a model and burble about the plumbing at their house in Montecito, California? The title of Harry’s upcoming autobiography is Spare—as in “the heir and the spare”—but I wonder if he hasn’t exchanged one type of superfluity for another.

Sometimes the documentary’s willingness to let Meghan and Harry complain at length almost feels cruel. After their wedding, Harry notes, they lived in Kensington Palace—well, Meghan corrects him, not in the palace, but on “palace grounds.” Nottingham Cottage was “very small” with low ceilings, on which Harry would bang his head. Sure, but it was also a beautiful house with a garden in the middle of ultra-prime London real estate. Shortly after this discussion—whether by un-self-aware accident or sly sabotage by the production team—the documentary cuts back to the terrible 2017 Grenfell Tower fire, which killed dozens of people and left other residents living in hotels for 18 months. Meghan became a champion for the survivors, although hopefully she didn’t try to bond with them by telling them—as she told the documentary crew—about Oprah’s surprise at the modesty of their lodgings.

These are the Meghan moments that make me wince. Another is the time, unmentioned in this documentary, when she visited a charity for sex workers and wrote inspirational messages on bananas with a Sharpie (you are loved). The shots of guided meditation and yoga here are no less cringeworthy. One of the interviewees talks about the press campaign against Harry and Meghan as a “symbolic annihilation” of “people who are symbols of social justice,” and my brain screamed at me to remember that she was talking about a duke and a duchess.

We also get the fact that a friend loaned them a private jet for their “freedom flight” out of Britain—the best kind of friend, one whom “we’ve never met, but who believes in us and wants to help.” This turns out to be Tyler Perry—yes, that Tyler Perry, famous for dressing up as his mother—who lets them use his Los Angeles house for as long as they need it. This section of the documentary elicited the most sympathy from me, because once again their refuge is discovered by the paparazzi, and baby Archie is awakened at 5 a.m. by helicopters flying overhead. Who would want that for their kids? Meghan tears up when she recounts the death threats faced by the family, and wonders: “Are my babies safe?”

Once again, this documentary contains little that won’t already be familiar from the book by Scobie and Durand, the Oprah interview, or the recent BBC program The Princes and the Press—which, in retrospect, echoed many of H & M’s talking points, making me skeptical afresh that they are innocents who experience media machinations solely on the receiving end. From Harry & Meghan, we do learn that Harry doesn’t know whether an avocado is a fruit and that he objects to filming in portrait mode, but otherwise he is a peripheral presence, haunted by his mother and hoping to exorcize her tragic story by giving his wife’s encounter with a prince a happier ending.

The final shots are of the California sunshine, with Harry saying that he has lost friends but gained a new purpose, because he had “outgrown” his old life and his old country: “My wife and I, we’re moving on, we’re focused on what’s coming next.” For all our sakes, let’s hope so.
By Youngian
Harry explains that he wanted to be “half in, half out,” pursuing his own career while supporting the royal brand. The Queen; his father, then-Prince Charles; and William had other ideas. “It was terrifying to have my brother scream and shout at me,” he says. “And my father say things that just simply weren’t true, my grandmother quietly sit there and take it all in.”

I bet they screamed at him, that would be a popular direction with the public for all royals below heir to the throne. Not so popular if its your family facing the job lay offs.
By Andy McDandy
No other European monarchy is either as big, or as obsessed with all the Ruritanian shit. Almost like they know they're doing panto in Cleethorpes, but are telling themselves it's just the same as playing Lear in Stratford.
By Malcolm Armsteen
As someone on Twitter noted the stench and noise was Clarkson but the arse that emitted it was Murdoch.

6000+ complaints to Ipsos.

The chair of which body was due to dine with Rupert this evening, but even their brass necks couldn't take the weight of that...

Shits, corrosive and utterly destructive shits.
Youngian, Oboogie liked this
By Spoonman
In the past I've sort of half defended Clarkson occasionally in him being more of a wind up merchant/buffon whom has been willing to self deprecate rather than being an outright nasty piece of faeces in what he says/writes at times (better than Piers Morgan though that isn't hard), but there's no defending what he wrote yesterday and I'm someone that couldn't care less about the circus surrounding Harry & Meghan.
Oboogie liked this
By Malcolm Armsteen
I don't know much about Game of Thrones (hated it) but it seems he is making a 'joke' (isn't it funny how bullies are always joking - ain't you got no sensayuma?) based on the treatment of Cersei Lanister.

So he is comparing MM with a woman whose main character attributes are her lust for power, scheming, transgressive viewpoint, and her love for her children (all through incest with her brother), whom she seeks to protect in assorted violent and unpleasant ways.

And saying that she should take a naked walk of shame and be pelted with shit.

Well I don't think that works as well as he hopes.
By MisterMuncher
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:13 pm I don't know much about Game of Thrones (hated it) but it seems he is making a 'joke' (isn't it funny how bullies are always joking - ain't you got no sensayuma?) based on the treatment of Cersei Lanister.

So he is comparing MM with a woman whose main character attributes are her lust for power, scheming, transgressive viewpoint, and her love for her children (all through incest with her brother), whom she seeks to protect in assorted violent and unpleasant ways.

And saying that she should take a naked walk of shame and be pelted with shit.

Well I don't think that works as well as he hopes.
There's another wrinkle to it all. Cersei herself set the faith militant in their position of power that ultimately led to their fate. So he's also saying that Meghan herself is responsible for how the press had acted

(Also, She manages to wipe out every single enemy she had in one fell swoop not long after.)

Thing of it is that GRRM is pretty "woke", in the parlance of the cretins. He'd fucking hate Clarkson.

Edit for context on the last bit:

A few years back (fewer than would be comfortable) a bunch of mediocre F/SF writers and their fans decided that the problem wasn't their material, but too many blacks, women and (gasp!) black women interfering in their genre. As such, they organised a straw vote for a panel of white-gobshite approved materials at the Hugo Awards to "fight back". Martin took it upon himself to fund equivalent prizes for the people that were diddled out of their just reward.

Also, his primary writing assistant in the GoT days, Ty Franck, is possibly one of the most aggressively inclusive authors (turned screenwriters) in SF, and I don't think they could remain such good friends were Martin not on the side of the angels here
Last edited by MisterMuncher on Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By satnav
The Sun has now removed the article from its website but plenty of people have kept screen shots so it will be impossible to brush it under the carpet.

The IPSO has received over 12,000 complaints about the article but with the head of IPSO having a private meal with Murdoch in a posh Mayfair hotel tonight I'm sure they will come up with a convenient excuse as to why they won't take any action. They will probably argue that Meghan needs to make a formal complaint before they can look at the case.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]