:sunglasses: 9.1 % :pray: 27.3 % :laughing: 45.5 % 🧥 9.1 % :cry: 9.1 %
By Abernathy
The expense of the Coronation courtesy of the public purse IS obscene, despite the array of “relatively speaking it ain’t all that much” attempts to play it down. But it isn’t just the money, egregious though that is, it’s the fact that the whole sparkling pantomime was completely unnecessary. As I understand things, and I think this is accurate, Charles III became the King at the very instant that his dear old mammy drew her last breath. So he was already King, which means that the whole fucking coronation shenanigan was nothing more than a massive, multi-million pound vanity exercise. And a vanity exercise, furthermore, played out in the midst of a national cost of living crisis, in which thousands upon thousands of those taxpayers footing the bill for Brian’s extravaganza are still forced to make decisions about whether they can afford to turn on the heating, or deciding they have to go to the food bank again.

Obscene is definitely the right word.
Last edited by Abernathy on Fri May 12, 2023 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Samanfur, Yug, Oboogie liked this
By Abernathy
kreuzberger wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:23 pm
And that's before the cost of Moruant's get-up seeps into the public domain.
Good point. And guess who’s paying? To quote an old Daily Mail catch-phrase. I’d not be at allsurprised to find that Mordaunt claimed the cost of her togs on expenses.
By Andy McDandy
In olden days, the point of the coronation was to make the accession of the new king, and the swearing of oaths of loyalty, public. Nice, big and clear. He's the king, got the crown, everyone said the words.

None of that is necessary nowadays, even if you're a monarchist. It's all about the bling.
By Yug
I'm sure the Met will be pleased to hear this

The anti-monarchy group Republic’s membership has almost doubled in a week following the high-profile arrest of its chief executive, Graham Smith, during last weekend’s coronation.

The news comes as a poll reveals that almost nine in 10 Britons did not pledge allegiance to King Charles during the ceremony, despite being encouraged to do so by the archbishop of Canterbury.

Scotland Yard has expressed “regret” over the arrest of a group of protesters from Republic on the morning of the coronation on 6 May.

Smith said the group had benefited from more than £80,000 in donations and sales income over the last week and attracted thousands of new paying members...

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... on-arrests
I'm so glad that the fascists never learn from their mistakes. Farage and his fellow gobshites shrieked about the RNLI. The RNLI announced a massive surge in donations. The gobshites shrieked about the National Trust going "woke". National Trust members voted to end all hunting on NT land, and to do a lot more to explore/expose the links between the filthy rich and slavery. Now the fascist Met try to intimidate a republican organisation. The republicans report a rise in both donations and membership.

Let's hope the fascists will continue to nudge the British people along the path to becoming a truly civilised country
Oboogie liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]