:sunglasses: 9.1 % :pray: 27.3 % :laughing: 45.5 % 🧥 9.1 % :cry: 9.1 %
By Andy McDandy
davidjay wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:27 pm It's not 'just' JDW - all pubs will get an extra hour. Why the Mail should highlight one chain over all others, I have no idea.
Because Wetherspoons had a press release ready. And because they know their audience.
By Yug
About that slimmed-down Tesco Value coronation they're on about

More than half of Britons think the King's coronation should not be funded by the government, according to a new poll.

The YouGov survey, carried out just over two weeks before the event, found 51% of adults questioned believe the ceremony should not be taxpayer funded.

Almost a third - 32% - said it should, while around 18% did not know.

The Westminster Abbey coronation, where the King and Queen Consort are set to be crowned, is expected to cost several million pounds, but with no budget revealed and the government not commenting on the expected total cost, the amount of public funds due to be spent remains unknown.

Some unconfirmed predictions suggest Operation Golden Orb could cost between £50m and £100m.

The late Elizabeth II's coronation cost £912,000 in 1953 - £20.5m in today's money - while the King's grandfather George VI was crowned at a cost of £454,000 in 1937 - worth £24.8m in 2023 and the most expensive coronation of the last 300 years.

Critics have branded the event a waste of taxpayers' money...

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/more-tha ... s-12860254
Even 'pared to the bone', this coronation on the cheap is going to cost between double and quadruple that of the previous most expensive in the last 300 years
By Bones McCoy
And the Proclaimers have been cancelled.

Proclaimers removed from King's coronation playlist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65366133

I won't hold my breath waiting for Toby Young and the rest of the Freeze Peach brigade to comment.
Insidious application of thought crime.
Separate the art from the artist.

and various other bullshits.
By Watchman
Bones McCoy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:58 pm Image
At first I thought, just a clumsy mistake, then the penny dropped, good trolling
Samanfur liked this
By Yug
If Jeremy hadn't done all that hard work back in the '90s this would never have been possible

Sinn Fein's Michelle O'Neill has accepted an invitation to attend the coronation of King Charles.

Northern Ireland's first Minister-designate told Sky News "we live in a changing space" and said she was honouring her pledge to "represent all of the community".

She said: "There are those in our community who have a British identity and allegiance to the monarchy and I think it's important that I, as a first minister for all, can be respectful of their viewpoint."...

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/sinn-fei ... s-12866632
Go girl! Show the UK government what a grown-up politician looks like.
Oboogie liked this
By MisterMuncher
There's a bit about Sinn Féin run councils apparently banning all celebrations, which appears to use that most intriguing definition of banned, meaning "not paying for".
Oboogie liked this
By Oboogie
MisterMuncher wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:58 pm There's a bit about Sinn Féin run councils apparently banning all celebrations, which appears to use that most intriguing definition of banned, meaning "not paying for".
I live in a safe Tory seat in England. As far as I'm aware, all the local celebrations are privately run and funded and the Tory council are not paying for any of them.
By MisterMuncher
Tbh one of my preferred things about my current local authority (Newry, Mourne & Down) vs my previous (Castlereagh as was, pre-amalgamation) is that rather less of the budget is directed towards building big fuck off bonfires to keep the "stakeholders" engaged and happy.

And whilst one could argue that SF are in some way retrograde politics, I'll take current MP Chris Hazzard over the incumbent when my wife was born here, one E. Powell
Oboogie liked this
By Youngian
Eels prop up coronation fever
For the first time since before the pandemic, Ely's annual Eel Festival will be returning to being a three-day event. In 2023, the festival will combine with King Charles' Coronation to become Ely’s Coronation Eel Day.
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/whats- ... t-26690772
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]