:laughing: 100 %
By Youngian
Abernathy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:18 pm Been thinking a bit more about Forbes' admission of homophobic bigotry. Sheer nastiness aside, it's simply not good politics. Especially for an aspirant First Minister of Scotland. Choosing publicly to own such attitudes in a political culture that is essentially progressive is surely at best naive, and at worst reflective of a lack of political skill, and/or the strategic approach to politics that is an essential pre-requisite for any political leader. She has clumsily attempted to cloak her bigotry in the dubious guise of religious conviction, but that very clearly won't cut the mustard in 21st century Scotland. Given the sheer cack-handedness of the way that she, as a political operator, has dealt with this, why would anybody vote for her to get a job in which strategic political skills are an essential requirement?
Did she attend these prayer breakfasts at the Turnberry Hotel with Mr President? “Tell those liberal jerkoffs where to go, Kate, the people will love you for it.”
By Tubby Isaacs
Abernathy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:55 pm Giving members total control over all major decisions about the party doesn't work out well, Ash.

Yours sincerely, the Labour Party.
In fairness, she says decisions of direction, so she gives herself some wiggle room. But I think it would be hard not to see both the GRR Bill itself and the challenge to the UK government as the sort of thing where you'd expect to be aligned with members.
By Bones McCoy
Line Banquo, Arthur Montford's ghost is present at the feast.

Montford worked as both a print journalist and radio broadcaster before joining Scottish Television in August 1957 as a continuity announcer. He was then chosen to present STV's new sports programme, Scotsport (originally Sports Desk), where he remained as anchorman for 32 years.[2] In all, he hosted over 2,000 editions of the programme. During his time on Scotsport, Montford became famous for his trademark checkered pattern sports jackets, and some classic lines of football commentary, including What a Stramash! and Disaster for Scotland!

The Jackets created psychedelic interference patterns on the old black and white tellys.
Youngian liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
Faraway country, innit?

Ash here shifting goalposts faster than Owen Paterson's badgers. "International recognition" means governments, not having "friends" in lots of countries. Catalonia had some friends, but the furthest they got with governments was a few of them saying "Steady on a bit, Spain".

This is like one of those Brexiters saying May should just get on with it, instead of doing that Article 50 shit.

By Abernathy
All politics aside (aye right), I think it'd be great for Humza, a Scot of Pakistani heritage, to become Scotland's first minister. One of my most fondly remembered experiences dates back quite a few years, to when Mrs A and I were back in Paisley visiting my dear Mum (may she rest in peace). One morning, I went over the road to the local general store to get some well-fired rolls. The shop had been there for many years, and the last time I'd been in it it was run by a local (white) Paisley family - a traditional Scottish local grocery cum newsagent's shop. On this occasion, I noted that it was now run by a Pakistani family, and, to my delight and considerable surprise. the pleasant brown guy behind the counter spoke with a far, far broader Paisley accent than I (admittedly adulterated by several years of living in England) did. More than that, he seemed to be totally at home with the local Paisley vernacular.

I left the shop clutching my well-fired rolls and possessed of a sense of delighted pride that these new Scots had so effortlessly become an integral part of the Scotland that I, a native-born Scot, had grown up in and known.
Last edited by Abernathy on Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
I want Humza to win for the absolute hateful shit he has to put up with on Twitter.

I don't want to post the stuff here, but I've just seen him called a "hate-filled Muslim" because he once gave a speech about how Scotland has hardly any non-white people in senior positions. Lots of people have made the same point, I'm sure, most of them white. The idea that a standard speech was race baiting is appalling.
By Tubby Isaacs
Craig's playing down his big splash now. He says BTL that it was other people who were hyping it.

Elsewhere, Hamza Yousaf has promised some free childcare for 1 and 2 year olds. This sounds like a positive thing to most of us (presumably unfunded, but not impossible that it could be by any means) but Craig isn't happy.

By Youngian
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:05 pm I want Humza to win for the absolute hateful shit he has to put up with on Twitter.

I don't want to post the stuff here, but I've just seen him called a "hate-filled Muslim" because he once gave a speech about how Scotland has hardly any non-white people in senior positions. Lots of people have made the same point, I'm sure, most of them white. The idea that a standard speech was race baiting is appalling.
Humza’s been castigated this week by the fruitcakes for not being Muslim enough on gay marriage.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]