:pray: 25 % :laughing: 75 %
By Andy McDandy
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:45 pm Why was Brown at fault in 2014? He would be expecting Milliband to win the election and do that. How was he supposed to do it?
At the time, he couldn't have predicted Brexit. Cameron was hoping on either another hung parliament and coalition ("Oh dear, price of power, bloody Lib Dems"), or to win the referendum. Brown was stiffed along with the rest of us.
By Bones McCoy
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:45 pm Why was Brown at fault in 2014? He would be expecting Milliband to win the election and do that. How was he supposed to do it?
I don't believe Gordon was so naive to forget the old saw about not writing cheques that you can't cover..

He was put up as a Trusted local face to promise something that most of Westminster had no intention of honouring.
The farce that followed left him with all the credibility of Arlene Foster - but without the billion.

It doesn't look good either way: Extravagant undeliverable promises, or outwitted by Cameron and his goons.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
Bones McCoy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:34 pm
I don't believe Gordon was so naive to forget the old saw about not writing cheques that you can't cover..

He was put up as a Trusted local face to promise something that most of Westminster had no intention of honouring.
The farce that followed left him with all the credibility of Arlene Foster - but without the billion.

It doesn't look good either way: Extravagant undeliverable promises, or outwitted by Cameron and his goons.
His "federalism" stuff is nonsense., I wish he'd swerve that. "Home rule"? Pretty major devolution in the two Scotland Acts, but there could definitely be more. The EU bit hasn't worn well, but given that Barosso told Scotland to fuck off, I think Gordo had a point.
By Arrowhead
Anybody fancy yet another early general election?

Could the Tories - who never knowingly let a good crisis go unexploited - repeal the Fixed-term Parliaments Act in order to deliver us GE2023, a year earlier than scheduled?

Johnson legitimises it by pointing to the SNP and waffling some insincere, misty-eyed nonsense about how "our precious Union is in mortal danger - give me a mandate to tell Sturgeon to get stuffed and save good old Blighty in the process". By 2023, the country will probably still be basking in a post-COVID glow, coupled with some huge growth numbers as the economy continues to bounce back. Plus it would have the benefit of stymying Starmer, who as we have seen from the past few days needs every single one of the 36 months between now and May 2024 .

It'd further wrap the Tories in their beloved Union Jack, set up Labour as the fall guys ("Labour's disastrous devolution policies have led us to the brink of oblivion, we warned them!"), distract the public from Brexit bad news, and normalise the notion of voting Tory every election to keep the nasty nationalist wolf from the door ("I used to vote Labour, but I love my country so I've gotta do what's right").

End result: 200+ Tory majority, Union Jacks everywhere, and "three cheers for Boris!" down the boozer every Saturday night for saving the UK. Rinse and repeat for every election.

Or am I just being fatalistic in my old age?
By Youngian

Its overestimating the deep seated love of Britain among the English. Nearly 50 percent when I last looked were relaxed about an English state and Britishness over Englishness was strongest among non-Tory voters; Ethnic minorities and metropolitan liberals using it as a more inclusive identity. Most problems have no objection to Scotland leaving.
By Boiler
Arrowhead wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:42 pm End result: 200+ Tory majority, Union Jacks everywhere, and "three cheers for Boris!" down the boozer every Saturday night for saving the UK. Rinse and repeat for every election.

Couple of Tories on another board I read are angling for Scottish Independence because it gets rid of a bunch of ungrateful moaners/Barnett Formula scroungers and pretty much guarantees a Tory Government in England in perpetuity.
By Arrowhead
Boiler wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:42 am Couple of Tories on another board I read are angling for Scottish Independence because it gets rid of a bunch of ungrateful moaners/Barnett Formula scroungers and pretty much guarantees a Tory Government in England in perpetuity.
What are the chances they both incorporate Union Jacks within their social media avatars?

I had a similar experience with a neighbour who, right before the referendum in 2016, dished out loads of pro-Leave leaflets with a badly-photocopied Union Jack on it. A couple of years earlier following Indyref, he was on Facebook bemoaning a lost opportunity to rid the country of a load of grumpy lefties.
By mattomac
Arrowhead wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:42 pm Anybody fancy yet another early general election?

Could the Tories - who never knowingly let a good crisis go unexploited - repeal the Fixed-term Parliaments Act in order to deliver us GE2023, a year earlier than scheduled?

Johnson legitimises it by pointing to the SNP and waffling some insincere, misty-eyed nonsense about how "our precious Union is in mortal danger - give me a mandate to tell Sturgeon to get stuffed and save good old Blighty in the process". By 2023, the country will probably still be basking in a post-COVID glow, coupled with some huge growth numbers as the economy continues to bounce back. Plus it would have the benefit of stymying Starmer, who as we have seen from the past few days needs every single one of the 36 months between now and May 2024 .

It'd further wrap the Tories in their beloved Union Jack, set up Labour as the fall guys ("Labour's disastrous devolution policies have led us to the brink of oblivion, we warned them!"), distract the public from Brexit bad news, and normalise the notion of voting Tory every election to keep the nasty nationalist wolf from the door ("I used to vote Labour, but I love my country so I've gotta do what's right").

End result: 200+ Tory majority, Union Jacks everywhere, and "three cheers for Boris!" down the boozer every Saturday night for saving the UK. Rinse and repeat for every election.

I’m not getting the economy bouncing back to be honest nor do I expect the warm glow of vaccinations to still be prevelant.

We’ve been here before with May, and anyhow thought the fixed term thing had been dumped anyhow.
By Bones McCoy
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:21 pm I wonder if Johnson would ditch the Barnett Formula? Would saw off the legs of lots of Unionists, but he might do. If they're going anyway,
If they do abolish Barnett, they'll certainly have calculated any political cost in advance.
I don't think they have a lot to lose.
Only 6 (or was it 5) directly elected seats at Holyrood.
They'll still creep close to 25% with the D'Hondt list seats.

The biggest threat to the Tory list seats would be a Labour resurgence.
Maybe Sawwar Jr, can work some magic outside his Glasgow South manor.
By Arrowhead
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:44 pm Good Labour effort in Airdrie and Shotts (Westminster). But you aren't beating the SNP on tactical voting if they get nearly 47%.
Agreed, not a bad showing given the wider circumstances right now. Something to give a bit of encouragement to Sarwar.

Airdrie & Shotts was one of several constituencies that Scottish Labour only very narrowly failed to immediately win back at GE2017. There were a few places where, if they had even matched their GE2015 vote tally, they would have won back at the first attempt.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
Genius logic here. Andy Burnham accused of nasty nationalism by a bloke who thinks the SNP and Scotland are the same thing. Do SNP politicians criticizing Westminster mean England then?

With the added twist that apparently Burnham is doing this as a stunt to win a leadership contest he won't be running in.

(Yeah, I know Bozo's still in charge forever and he's still awful).

Arrowhead liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]