By Abernathy
It seems that the Green Party, in hoovering up disillusioned/expelled former Labour members of the Trot/Momentum tendency, has become infected with a dose of the overt and covert anti-semitism that caused the Labour Party so much trouble. Green party members have apparently been sharing anti-semitic material on social media, and a newly elected Green council candidate in Leeds made an unconventional acceptance speech, exclaiming "“We will not be silenced. We will raise the voice of Gaza. We will raise the voice of Palestine. Allahu akbar!"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51np80knpmo

Apology over Green candidate's anti-Semitic post
Oboogie liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
I can remember the Greens taking a bit of stick a few years ago for saying they didn't want anyone kicked out of Labour, and I didn't hear anything to suggest they weren't being vigilant. I suspect they've had much greater movement towards since the war started last October, and that may have overwhelmed their ability to do due diligence. See how many there are.
By davidjay
They're going to be like the Kippers two decades ago - attracting all sorts of extremist nutters but not noticing because they're so convinced of their righteousness they think everyone wants to joing them.
Last edited by davidjay on Tue May 07, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oboogie liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
Would be interesting to see some sort of breakdown of what issues they ran on in different places. Of course, all parties face different ways in different areas but the Greens could soon be setting new standards in it. We elected a Green in my ward in an affluent part of Herefordshire. Was that a vote for Lynne Jones policies?

How is it going to work for them being basically the Lib Dems in one place and Respect in another? I'm not sure the greater media coverage would be entirely beneficial.
By Tubby Isaacs
I doubt very many. More likely the effect is on them not getting as many new members as they should have done. Or indeed voters. I'd guess that the big majority of potential Greens are pretty secular, and the sight of the guy in Harehills might make put them off. Just like Evangelical American style politicians would.
By Tubby Isaacs
I've learned from lots of online Green supporters today that if you think Sian Berry pulled a very cynical trick then you don't understand the closed list voting system. It's apparently fine to stick somebody well known at the top of it and for her to clear off after 3 days. A couple have even said (get this) "But it was OK for David Lammy, what's the difference?" I thought, funny I never heard this about David Lammy.

He didn't do what Berry did. He got elected to the Assembly, then Bernie Grant died, and he got elected as MP for Tottenham. Quite the cynical stroke Lammy and Bernie Grant pulled there.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]