:sunglasses: 33.3 % 🧥 66.7 %
By Tubby Isaacs
Has had a bit of a time on Twitter.

First this bit of homespun strawmanning- because everybody else is arguing for schools to be like Summerhill or something.

You might also notice this famous champion of rigour has let her standards drop.

Who's the best Lord though, Katherine? Rings, Flies or Dance?

She's apparently in favour of forced smiling in school. A chap, who seems to like some of her stuff, points out that he didn't much fancy smiling as he was bullied. She puts him straight with her legendary empathy,

She moves on to employment law and business.

Where's this all leading? Yep,

By Tubby Isaacs
Just seen this cracker from Wiki.
"Teachers would tell them all the time they weren't part of the country - they say what country are you really from? Let's do a cultural thing where we all bring in our flags. The people who are doing this think they're being nice. They think they're being respectful" but that children "didn't get taught about Shakespeare and Dickens - or that they were part of their country."
Lefty liberals famously like to ask minorities where they're "really from". And how long does this "bring in the flags" stuff last? Long enough to have read Hamlet?
By Andy McDandy
Yeah, she came out in support of the head there.

I can just see these rules being tested to destruction by any student with half a brain in the first few days of term.
RandomElement liked this
By RandomElement
Geez, It would have been terrible for me. The best way for me to listen to the teacher, was to look out of the window and relax my eye and just listen. As for looking the teacher in the eyes; I still find it difficult to look at people in the eyes now, I'm in my mid forties. As for smiling all the time, No, just no.

ETA, how exactly is this meant to get kids ready for life, what job has that kind of rigidity, a part from perhaps the armed services.
By Tubby Isaacs
My teachers used to tell people off for looking out of the window sometimes. They didn't make a song and dance about it like this. Sounds like the teacher could end up wasting a lot of time on this. "Miss, Tomkins is looking out of the window, that's against school rules!" (says Tomkins' mate for a laugh).
By Malcolm Armsteen
I remind the Common Room once again of Köhlberg's Hierarchy of Moral Development:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_ ... evelopment
Kohlberg's six stages can be more generally grouped into three levels of two stages each: pre-conventional, conventional and post-conventional. Following Piaget's constructivist requirements for a stage model, as described in his theory of cognitive development, it is extremely rare to regress in stages—to lose the use of higher stage abilities. Stages cannot be skipped; each provides a new and necessary perspective, more comprehensive and differentiated than its predecessors but integrated with them.
Kohlberg's Model of Moral Development
Level 1 (Pre-Conventional)
1. Obedience and punishment orientation
(How can I avoid punishment?)
2. Self-interest orientation
(What's in it for me?)
(Paying for a benefit)

Level 2 (Conventional)
3. Interpersonal accord and conformity
(Social norms)
(The good boy/girl attitude)
4. Authority and social-order maintaining orientation
(Law and order morality)

Level 3 (Post-Conventional)
5. Social contract orientation
6. Universal ethical principles
(Principled conscience)

As you can see Burblesingh and that other head are training pupils to go no further than Level 1.1.

Others, such as m'self, have worked to get as many pupils as possible into the Post-Convential stages. But to do that you have to model moral maturity (hard for Burble) and allow much freedom, and discussion.

For a mature, educated, egalitarian and just society it is vital. Therefore the Furies of the right don't do it.
By Watchman
I remember walking along the bottom corridor at secondary school, couple of my mates had just got caught pratting around and I was grinning my face off, deputy head came out of his office and gave me a bollocking for grinning
By Cyclist
RandomElement wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:20 pm

ETA, how exactly is this meant to get kids ready for life, what job has that kind of rigidity, a part from perhaps the armed services.
It isn't. It's to enable small-minded tin-pot Hitlers to feel powerful. It's not about discipline and respect, it's about power and control, and should have no place in a place of learning.
By Andy McDandy
And it plays well with thick people who did shit at school but respected Mr Nutcracker because he didn't take any shit. And who think anyone younger than them is getting it too easy.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]