:sunglasses: 31.6 % :pray: 10.5 % :laughing: 26.3 % :cry: 21.1 % :🤗 5.3 % :poo: 5.3 %
By Yug
Just Stop Oil

Methods: despise 100%

Somebody needs to drag JSO members into the car park and keep whacking them with a cluebat until they grow the fuck up and stop pissing off large numbers of potential supporters unnecessarily.
By Tubby Isaacs
Well they did it, and sounds reasonably inoffensive. Maybe that defeats the object, I don't know., but probably the best way following that daft letter.

But the point made humorously by the Yimby bloke up there remains. I'm disrupting them till I get a statement that they support HS2 and much more development where they live.
By Spoonman
Northern Ireland weather: June was hottest on record says Met Office

Despite recent cloud and rain across Northern Ireland, the Met Office has said June 2023 is set to be our hottest ever June in a series of records that go back to 1884.

The month has seen two distinct periods of weather contributing to the record-breaking temperatures.

June started with a very settled period of high pressure, bringing warm and dry conditions.

That was replaced later in the month by warm and humid conditions.

These kept the temperatures above average but also delivered one of the most dramatic days of convective weather - ie severe thunder storms with heavy rain and sudden temperature changes - in years on 20 June.

The two have combined to set the new monthly temperature record.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66071587

The above article also states near the end that it has also been a record-breaking June in GB too.

Looking at the stats on my weather station, the average temperature for last month was 16.6C compared to 13.2C for the same month last year, and was nearly a degree warmer than the warmest month last year (August: 15.7C).

It's much more temperate and the rain has returned in my 'hood over the last two weeks, but I will not be surprised if I see another extended heatwave later this summer.
By Yug
Human ingenuity at it's finest.

An integrated device has been developed that can convert carbon dioxide captured from the air into hydrogen and carbon monoxide using sunlight. This process coupled captured carbon dioxide reduction to the oxidation of plastic waste, generating the feedstock chemical glycolic acid to boot.

‘This is the first demonstration of connecting direct air capture of carbon dioxide with its direct utilisation in a solar-powered process, with everything in one device,’ says Erwin Reisner, who leads the group at the University of Cambridge. Carbon dioxide was captured from simulated flue gas or air using a standard amine/hydroxide solution under ambient conditions.

A perovskite-based photocathode with a cobalt–phthalocyanine catalyst generated syngas – carbon monoxide and hydrogen – from the captured carbon dioxide. At the dark anode, ethylene glycol from waste plastic polyethylene terephthalate was oxidised to glycolic acid over a copper–palladium alloy catalyst. Atmospheric carbon dioxide is tapped as the carbon source, while discarded plastic waste acts as an electron donor, and sunlight is the only energy input.

‘Generally, people used water oxidation as a conventional anode reaction, but our process can only be driven by plastic waste oxidation, which is a less thermodynamically demanding process,’ says Motiar Rahaman, a senior postdoc in the Cambridge lab.

Most prior processes, say the group, relied on concentrated streams of carbon dioxide. Whereas for this demonstration, the Reisner lab used flue gas with 15 to 20% carbon dioxide. They also successfully tested their device on carbon dioxide captured from the air. ‘We were surprised that this was actually possible,’ says Reisner.

The process runs at ambient conditions, producing the commodity chemical glycolic acid, used by the textile and cosmetics industry, and syngas, which can be turned into a liquid fuel using the Fischer-Tropsch process. Production was on µM/cm2 scale, with microlitres of products generated. ‘The next step is to make it more practical by going to concentrations that are more meaningful,’ says co-author Sayan Kar.

The team note that a net zero future will likely rely on recycling of atmospheric carbon dioxide to produce sustainable fuels and chemicals...

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/pla ... 13.article
This is brilliant.
Samanfur, Boiler liked this
By safe_timber_man
Just ignore the fiery inferno burning around it you. It's just alarmist hysteria and all a climate hoax.

Screenshot 2023-07-25 133218.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-25 133218.jpg (278.44 KiB) Viewed 4298 times

Happy and smiley couple Dean and Jenny from Birmingham say they haven't even thought about the wild fires and the local's houses and businesses burning down.

Screenshot 2023-07-25 133258.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-25 133258.jpg (117.42 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
By satnav
Apparently Michael Gove says he is still heading to Greece for his holidays regardless of the fires. Which is fine as long as no taxpayers money is wasted rescuing the tit if he does get caught up in the fires.

I saw Mike Parry on the Jeremy Vine show arguing that the fires in Greece were nothing to worry about because we had lost less land to forest fires this year than we did last year! The fact that there are still another 5 months to go this year seems to have passed him by. An presumably if we did lose lots of forests last year because of fires doesn't that mean we started off with a lot less forests this year because it will take an awful lot of time for the old forests to grow back.
By Killer Whale
Don't have nightmares, folks.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... y-suggests
The Gulf Stream system could collapse as soon as 2025, a new study suggests. The shutting down of the vital ocean currents, called the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (Amoc) by scientists, would bring catastrophic climate impacts.
This might be a bit more inconvenient than a bunch of pensioners walking a funereal pace in front of your Range Rover.
mattomac liked this
By The Weeping Angel
They're not that bad, in fact their climate has been on the whole pretty good, but they have a tendancy to engage in this sort of reporting. Here's a good article from the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... te-doomers
Stanford engineering professor and renewable energy expert Mark Z Jacobson tweeted the other day, “Given that scientists who study 100% renewable energy systems are unanimous that it can be done why do we hear daily on twitter and everywhere else by those who don’t study such systems that it can’t be done?” A significant percentage of the general public speaks of climate change with a strange combination of confidence and defeatism: confidence in positions often based on inaccurate or outdated or maybe no information; defeatism about what we can do to make a livable future. Maybe they just get their facts from other doom evangelists, who flourish on the internet, no matter how much reputable scientists demonstrate their errors.

They’re surrendering in advance and inspiring others to do the same. If you announce that the outcome has already been decided and we’ve already lost, you strip away the motivation to participate – and of course if we do nothing we settle for the worst outcome. It often seems that people are searching harder for evidence we’re defeated than that we can win. Warnings are a valuable thing, given with the sense that there’s something we can do to prevent the anticipated outcome; prophesies assume the future is settled and there’s nothing we can do. But the defeatists often describe a present they assert are locking in the worst outcomes.

One day this week, someone told me that she was “angry at people’s refusal to acknowledge what’s happening to the planet” and when I waved a couple of surveys at them showing that in 2023 “Nearly seven-in-ten Americans (69%) favor the U.S. taking steps to become carbon neutral by 2050” and in 2021 “three-quarters (75%) of adults in Great Britain said they were worried about the impact of climate change” they shifted to complaining about poor leadership and climate deniers. So far as I could tell, she wanted to be angry at obstacles, and if one was removed, she had others.
Boiler, Tubby Isaacs liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]