By Crabcakes
The third book was genuinely excellent. The later books didn’t really come close, with the exception of book 5 in the creation of Dolores Umbridge. A genuinely horrific villain, because like so many genuine villains she’s so ordinary and just uses the main villain for cover or even justification for their actions.

See also: Patel/Braverman and Johnson/Sunak.
RandomElement liked this
By Malcolm Armsteen
Now I think that shows JK's brilliance and ordinariness at the same time. Umbridge as a frustrated, authoritarian nasty is a stock character, and as such comes from Pratchett's Narrativium stable, but she is drawn very well and thus moves from the cliché into the creative. The same could be said for Malfoy(s), Weasleys and many others.
By Crabcakes
Interestingly, a few years back JK Rowling published a short(-ish) story on her website for free that updated with a chapter a day or so - The Ickabog. It wasn’t particularly complex a story, but felt much leaner and tighter than anything she’d written for ages and had a genuine moral message about how lies and paranoia can snowball when driven by greed and corruption.

It’s far, far more like the original Potters than the later books. I suspect in no small part because it was written without a view of becoming a blockbuster film that needed huge set pieces.
By Abernathy
The Weeping Angel wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:30 pm Judging from this tweet Charlotte Proudman didn't get past the first chapter.

That'd be perhaps because she says that she didn't get past the first chapter, I'd guess. :-/
By Bones McCoy
Abernathy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:37 pm
The Weeping Angel wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:30 pm Judging from this tweet Charlotte Proudman didn't get past the first chapter.

That'd be perhaps because she says that she didn't get past the first chapter, I'd guess. :-/
It's been a while since I read the books to my sons.
If I recall correctly, Harry began the story as an orphan living with his snobbish uncle and auntie.
Uncle was a carbon copy of Harry Enfield's "Considerably richer than Youw" nouveau riche Midlander.
He slept in the cupboard under the stairs, because cousin Dudley occupied both bedrooms, one to sleep in and one for his toys.

It takes an incredible level of cultural blindness, and lack of google skills to draw the conclusions she expressed in her tweet.

It's on par with the planks described in our Amazon answers thread.
By The Weeping Angel
Bones McCoy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:16 am
Abernathy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:37 pm

It's been a while since I read the books to my sons.
If I recall correctly, Harry began the story as an orphan living with his snobbish uncle and auntie.
Uncle was a carbon copy of Harry Enfield's "Considerably richer than Youw" nouveau riche Midlander.
He slept in the cupboard under the stairs, because cousin Dudley occupied both bedrooms, one to sleep in and one for his toys.

It takes an incredible level of cultural blindness, and lack of google skills to draw the conclusions she expressed in her tweet.

It's on par with the planks described in our Amazon answers thread.
Pretty much one particular eyebrow raising claim is the claim that Harry is a genius. Harry is far from a genius and often has to rely on luck to win.
By Andy McDandy
I think it was James Acaster who nailed it, saying "you all bought the books, went to the films, visited the website and got sorted into your houses, bought the Lego, and played quidditch on your bikes". People invested themselves emotionally into the whole brand, and now there's a lot of buyer's remorse.
Spoonman liked this
By Malcolm Armsteen
I've read them all (but I'm a prolific reader with no prejudice against YA stuff) and read them to Spike when she was small. I like the Strike novels, I think they are better written, but she's a good writer.

I still prefer Pratchett for fantasy, though. Better written, as he himself would have informed you.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]