:sunglasses: 100 %
By mattomac
Youngian wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:23 am ‘It’s the economy, stupid,’ claims Priti Patel. Is she finding her constituents aren’t interested her culture war nonsense when you put their mortgage rates up?
Odd that mild winter claim as I’ve seen mild winter and harsh winter so far (last years winter was pretty mild mine) of course as someone told me predicting weather so far in advance is like guessing the weather off how the cows are seated on that day.
By Malcolm Armsteen
Indeed. This from Labour List:
The restructuring will see policy and communications roles move to Labour headquarters and reporting directly to the general secretary. Evans is said to have stated that no other jobs are at risk as a result of the restructure.

Starmer said White “played an incredible role taking our operation to the next level” and that “under his leadership the team has become better and stronger”. But he said the merger meant that running the leader’s office is becoming a smaller role “and we both agree as we’re making this change, now is the right time to go”.

White said: “The next phase of the campaign needs a different structure, but we part very much as friends with the intent to work together again in the future. You’ll find no greater champion for a Starmer government than me.”
https://labourlist.org/2022/10/chief-of ... n-footing/
mattomac, Oboogie liked this
By mattomac
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:45 pm Indeed. This from Labour List:
The restructuring will see policy and communications roles move to Labour headquarters and reporting directly to the general secretary. Evans is said to have stated that no other jobs are at risk as a result of the restructure.

Starmer said White “played an incredible role taking our operation to the next level” and that “under his leadership the team has become better and stronger”. But he said the merger meant that running the leader’s office is becoming a smaller role “and we both agree as we’re making this change, now is the right time to go”.

White said: “The next phase of the campaign needs a different structure, but we part very much as friends with the intent to work together again in the future. You’ll find no greater champion for a Starmer government than me.”
https://labourlist.org/2022/10/chief-of ... n-footing/
I saw a couple of journalists try and push this as turmoil and then they rowed back with caveats, I muted their garbage, some political journalists are increasingly as bad as football journalists.
By Arrowhead
This seems a bit dumb to me. I would've thought Gina Miller would stand more chance if she stood as the official Lib Dem candidate in Epsom & Ewell at the next election.

Although Chris Grayling has a majority of nearly 18,000 right now, the Lib Dems managed to take nearly 25% of the vote there at GE2019, so they seem better placed than anyone?

By mattomac
Yeah, I assume Ed will be polite and suggest she joins.

Anyhow I have a theory this will be a Spring/Summer election after the BoE announcement. You won’t go to the country in the most miserable parts of the year. If it’s 2023 it will be June/July, if it’s the year after anytime from April.

I saw after June because the boundary commission rulings will be in place then as well as photo ID.
By Abernathy
As we commence 2023, Labour has a 26 point lead over the Tories, enough to secure a handsome win at the election when it comes. This is by any standard quite an achievement for Keir Starmer’s leadership when you consider that when Starmer blessedly took over from Corbyn only just 2 years and 8 months ago in the teeth of the pandemic, Jeremy Corbyn had just led Labour to its biggest election defeat since 1934, granting a huge majority of 80 seats to Boris Johnson. At that time, the opinion polls had Labour trailing the Tories by a despairing 26 points. A total turnaround has taken place in less than three years.

The Tory record in government for the past three years has, it is true, been absolutely appalling. A disastrous Brexit, a grossly mishandled Covid-19 pandemic entailing more avoidable deaths than virtually any other comparable country, corruption and lies in public office made endemic, a truly grim cost-of-living and energy crisis with record levels of inflation, public services in perpetual crisis with dedicated professionals forced into strike action by callous government indifference, food banks needed everywhere, £30 billion lost by a disastrously incompetent Prime Minister inflicted on the country by the Tories, and people dying for want of a timely ambulance. It is a government that has run out of road, made literally everything rubbish, and which it would seem the electorate has already decided is to be voted out whenever the election comes.

The Corbynite narrative on this is that *any* Labour leader would be benefitting similarly from the Tories’ dreadful record, including Jeremy Corbyn, and there may even be a tiny kernel of truth in that. But Starmer’s achievement is to have positioned Labour as irrefutably *the* default alternative government, perfectly placed to benefit from the Tory meltdown, and all but certain to return to government to begin re-constructing a decent society in the UK. This is an achievement that, it seems to me, was totally beyond Jeremy Corbyn, who had no grasp whatever of the strategy required to get the Labour Party to this position.

There is room for some self-congratulation, but not very much room. Labour’s offer for the coming election is still not fully developed into an attractive package that people will actually vote *for*, although the 2022 conference put quite a bit of flesh on bones, particularly in respect of investment in green industries and energy. The job now is to be ready to shape policy into a manifesto at the clause V meeting that people will vote for in numbers. I am confident that this will happen.

In theory, the election may still be as far away as January 2025, and truth I can only envisage Sunak possibly hanging on for those full two years, only calling the election before then if he can somehow bring about some kind of miracle Tory recovery. 2023 looks to be a lousy year for the economy again, and it is difficult to see how or when anything is going to get any better during the Tories’ remaining time in office.

So where are we? Roy Jenkins’ image of the Labour Party in around 1995-1996 as a man carrying a priceless porcelain vase and walking along a long corridor(now possibly longer than it’s ever been) with a highly polished floor seems spookily appropriate again. We need, in short, to keep the heid. .
Oboogie, Watchman, davidjay and 3 others liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]