:laughing: 100 %
By Spoonman
The Australian Labor Party, led by Anthony Albanese, is projected to win the country's federal election, ending 10 years of Liberal/National government.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-a ... a-61532469 - (live updates)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-21/ ... /101084660
mattomac, Arrowhead liked this
They sell an image of no worries, shrimps on the barbie, Margot Robbie in a bikini etc. In reality it's Harold Bishop lookalikes fuming about the aborigines and how they all deserve to die.
By Boiler
Andy McDandy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:09 pm They sell an image of no worries, shrimps on the barbie, Margot Robbie in a bikini etc. In reality it's Harold Bishop lookalikes fuming about the aborigines and how they all deserve to die.
That's about the size of it - oh, and they can be bloody officious too.
Youngian wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:37 am Tony Albanese wishes Australia to become a republic. An unexpected jubilee gift for Her Maj and the Brexit land fantasists.
We won't be able to sing "God save YOUR queen" to them at the cricket :-(.

Trump down, Morrison Down.
Ardern and Trudeau hardly their sort of people.

Only one wheel left on the Bannon / Murdoch / Johnson dream of a hard-right Anglosphere bestriding the globe.
Cyclist wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:22 am @Bones McCoy , if by "one wheel" you're referring to Johnson then it really should be no wheels. Johnson isn't hard Right, he's hard Johnson - he'd espouse Corbynism if he thought it would keep him in No 10.
Johnson's political principles may be as flexible as Groucho Marx's.

I think we can agree that he is the embedded figurehead of a hard right project.
This is evidenced by the characters he has promoted to senior cabinet posts (eg the Britannia unchained mob), those he has ennobled, and his cheerleaders in the press, the thinktanks and the social media.

When Johnson follows Trump and ScoMo in the dustbin of failed populists, he will leave us with the hardest right Tory party in living memory.
One that delights in deportations, law breaking (right sort of people only), and filled with ambitious rankers who would trample over any number of hungry schoolchildren to secure a step up the party ladder.

That's why I describe him as hard right.
Youngian, Spoonman, Samanfur and 4 others liked this
Bones McCoy wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:14 am Trump down, Morrison Down.

Only one wheel left on the Bannon / Murdoch / Johnson dream of a hard-right Anglosphere bestriding the globe.
Not the Anglosphere of course, but Orban remains a big problem for Europe. Bolsonaro looks like he might be struggling - when's the next GE in Brazil?
By Spoonman
Boiler wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:34 pm RW Australians make our lot look mild by comparison. I worked in Aus a couple of times at the beginning of the century and you soon realise it's a long way from the image it likes to portray - and not in a good way.
In my experience, the main difference is that Australian right-wingers are more outspoken/honest about themselves, whereas their British equivalents are a lot more subtle & engage a lot more in dog-whistling whilst giving themselves a little more allowance in having a "non-PLU" friend - altogether this gives them a benefit of plausible deniability as well as sometimes trumpeting the very weak claim that the UK is the "least racist country in the world".
By mattomac
Arrowhead wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:46 pm

Not the Anglosphere of course, but Orban remains a big problem for Europe. Bolsonaro looks like he might be struggling - when's the next GE in Brazil?
This Autumn, he was espousing some bullshit about Putin mind was Lula, however he isn’t threatening to throw gays in prison or admiring the former dictorship. Lula has been comfortably ahead for months it’s really if Bolosarno can get rid of him.

Even two of the most positive pollsters for Bolosarno are now reporting Lula in double figures lead.
Arrowhead liked this
Arrowhead wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:46 pm

Johnson, Orban, Bolso, Modi, Marcos

Sounds a lot less threatening than

Johnson, ScoMo, Trump, Johnston/Houghton (NZ), Bergen (Canada)
Spoonman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:00 pm
Boiler wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:34 pm RW Australians make our lot look mild by comparison. I worked in Aus a couple of times at the beginning of the century and you soon realise it's a long way from the image it likes to portray - and not in a good way.
In my experience, the main difference is that Australian right-wingers are more outspoken/honest about themselves, whereas their British equivalents are a lot more subtle & engage a lot more in dog-whistling whilst giving themselves a little more allowance in having a "non-PLU" friend - altogether this gives them a benefit of plausible deniability as well as sometimes trumpeting the very weak claim that the UK is the "least racist country in the world".
I'm reading "Empireland" by Sathnam Sanghera at the moment, and he details the levels of emigration from Britain to the commonwealth since the war. Huge numbers, but as several people commented, not exactly the best and brightest. Jeremy Clarkson of all people summed it up well: "I've a great job, loads of savings, a beautiful home, a happy family and loads of friends. Fuck it, I'm moving to Australia. Said nobody."
By mattomac
Andy McDandy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:49 am
Spoonman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:00 pm
I'm reading "Empireland" by Sathnam Sanghera at the moment, and he details the levels of emigration from Britain to the commonwealth since the war. Huge numbers, but as several people commented, not exactly the best and brightest. Jeremy Clarkson of all people summed it up well: "I've a great job, loads of savings, a beautiful home, a happy family and loads of friends. Fuck it, I'm moving to Australia. Said nobody."
Excellent book by the way.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]