:poo: 100 %
By Abernathy
Now that Brenda has finally breathed her last, there is an absolute orgy of grieving getting into full swing. Ringing bells. Firing heavy artillery weapons all over the shop. Enough flowers to keep Interflora in business for the next century. Endless media coverage. And above all, cancelling things. Cancelling football matches, in particular, seems to me to be a bit excessive.
Games could still go ahead, with minutes of silence, players wearing black armbands, and above all recognition that football matches are community events where people can gather together and express tributes to the departed monarch in the ways just mentioned. They aren't cancelling say, theatre performances, so why pick on football matches ?
Last edited by Abernathy on Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Yug
Abernathy wrote:They aren't cancelling say, theatre performances, so why pick on football matches ?
How dare the plebs keep calm and carry on when our Glorious Queen has just died? Make them suitably miserable as befits such an occasion.
kreuzberger liked this
By Bones McCoy
Interesting Contrasts:

Horse Racing pushed the St Ledger back one day.

Cricket cancelled the 2nd day of the Test match. (More below)

Football's completely off.
But would probably have degenerated into a "Longest silence / biggest black armbands" slanging match if it went ahead.

Great North Run probably made the best call.
Recognising that there isn't a GNR every day, and it attracts folks fomr all over, they will "Continue so runners can park the solemn occasion as a community".

Returning to the Cricket, I don't know what happens with a 3 day test match.
Back when I had to remember the laws for my Cub Scout sportsman's badge, they included different regulations for 3, 4 and 5 day test matches.
I don't recall any 3 or 4 day tests in my lifetime, but those regulations would swing into action if the first day (or first 2 days) were lost to rain.

Much has been done to simplify the laws since then.
No bad thing either, since it used to be like the full version of Mornington Crecent.
I do wonder whether Saturday morning will see Aggers at the Oval explaining that the 3 day rules are in operation.

If my cub scout brain remembers correctly, the differences were:
* Scope to add extra playing time at the end of each day if conditions permit (Good luck with that in an English September).
* Reduced "follow on" deficit of 150 runs.
By Tubby Isaacs
Bones McCoy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:10 pm
Back when I had to remember the laws for my Cub Scout sportsman's badge, they included different regulations for 3, 4 and 5 day test matches.
I don't recall any 3 or 4 day tests in my lifetime, but those regulations would swing into action if the first day (or first 2 days) were lost to rain.

Much has been done to simplify the laws since then.
No bad thing either, since it used to be like the full version of Mornington Crecent.
I do wonder whether Saturday morning will see Aggers at the Oval explaining that the 3 day rules are in operation.

* Scope to add extra playing time at the end of each day if conditions permit (Good luck with that in an English September).
The reduce follow on happened in 2001, here-

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/pak ... -scorecard

Don't know if it would apply in this situation.
By Bones McCoy
Cricket update (in case anybody else gives a shit).
Bones McCoy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:10 pm I do wonder whether Saturday morning will see Aggers at the Oval explaining that the 3 day rules are in operation.

The remaining days are still set to begin at 11:00 BST, with 98 overs scheduled for each day because of the time lost due to rain. The follow-on has also been reduced to 150 runs because of the washout on day one.
By Tubby Isaacs
Bones McCoy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:01 pm Cricket update (in case anybody else gives a shit).
Bones McCoy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:10 pm I do wonder whether Saturday morning will see Aggers at the Oval explaining that the 3 day rules are in operation.

The remaining days are still set to begin at 11:00 BST, with 98 overs scheduled for each day because of the time lost due to rain. The follow-on has also been reduced to 150 runs because of the washout on day one.
It'll be dark when they finish the 98 overs. Like some old Nat West Trophy final, except a week later.
By Bones McCoy
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:52 pm
Bones McCoy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:01 pm Cricket update (in case anybody else gives a shit).

It'll be dark when they finish the 98 overs. Like some old Nat West Trophy final, except a week later.
Sell all your PonziCoin to Bet now on Drawn Game - You heard it here first you lucky Billionaires.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]