By Arrowhead
This will in all likelihood turn out to be a very straightforward by-election from a Labour perspective, but I thought the contest may as well have its own thread anyway.

The by-election has been triggered by the early retirement of the incumbent MP Rosie Cooper, who has accepted a new role as Chair of Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust. The precise date of the by-election is yet to be confirmed.

Cooper leaves behind a solid Labour majority of 8,336 (52.1%) as per GE2019. The seat has been Labour since 1992, when it was won by Colin Pickthall from the Tories.

The constituency is estimated to have voted 55% Leave back in 2016.
mattomac wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:52 pm Not sure why these people think they can write whatever they want and then run for high office.
They aren't very bright?
mattomac liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
mattomac wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:52 pm Not sure why these people think they can write whatever they want and then run for high office.
It may not be too bad, in fairness- ie the sort of thing that in a general election could be apologised for, and everybody move on, if they even notice it at all. The nation's media won't generally show up in a safe seat.

A by-election though is much more focussed on the candidate. Loads of journalists will show interest, especially in a Labour heartland seat. "Skelmersdale is a million miles from blah blah Islington blah..."
By Arrowhead
Ashley Dalton has been selected as the Labour candidate for the by-election. Currently lives in Preston and works in the voluntary sector. Prior to that, she worked for Southend Council for seventeen years and fought the 2017 & 2019 elections as the Labour candidate in Rochford & Southend East (Teddy Taylor's old seat).

By Youngian
A by-election though is much more focussed on the candidate. Loads of journalists will show interest, especially in a Labour heartland seat. "Skelmersdale is a million miles from blah blah Islington blah..."

From what I read its even a million miles from Liverpool if you don’t drive.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
By mattomac
Interestingly in the last decade there had been a push for a station to terminate in Skem but the government debunked it in July 2022, I think Labour to push for it as a local idea would easily be a vote winner, also something that may be missed by journalists but will probably cause anger.

It will have some of the Liverpool and Manchester commuter belt but also some of the isolated types (yet the station being cancelled won’t endear the Conservatives to many there).

The county council is Conservative and had purchased land for 2 million for the station.

Of course the old line took went through Ormskirk which now has the odd interchange of connection with Preston, my dad is better on this.

The whole area would probably benefit from that especially as Edge Hill is a growing University in the area. Anyhow glad they chose someone from Lancashire even if she has moved away and come back.

Strangely Ormskirk always gave vibes of Tory off but it is held by Labour, had a quick look at the 2021 elections for that council from my local knowledge it seems Labour held all the big settlements (bar Burscough) and with decent majorities, I assume West Lancs (East/West) fall under this seat.

That was 2021 though, if run this year I’d have a feeling it would be slightly better for Labour and now I guess even better.

Strangely growing up it is a seat I wasn’t aware was Labour, but to be honest I had left Southport for University a year before I joined the Labour Party and my parents moved away while I was there.
Arrowhead, Youngian liked this
By mattomac
Possibly, they would have known about the Chester situation, also maybe they waited on Truss it has been apparent for some weeks this government wouldn’t last.

No point setting a by election when a GE is around the corner, and it may yet happen, I expect a week or so we will see, also the incumbent is leaving on her own terms so probably no rush for her to fully resign her seat.
By Arrowhead
It sounds as if this by-election might not be happening for a while now. Apparently Rosie Cooper is holding off from formally standing down as an MP because she feels she should be offered a peerage.

Not surprisingly, this seems to have pissed off the Labour leadership, who cancelled their NW conference and had already green-lit a candidate (Ashley Dalton) to fight the by-election.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]