:laughing: 75 % :cry: 25 %
By Crabcakes
Blackpool wasn’t ever popular because it was great - it was popular because it was one of the only options people could afford that was marginally better than where they lived and worked. No one who had a choice would want a swim in the cold, Atlantic-adjacent Irish Sea, then stagger out of the nut brown water onto a coarse beach to enjoy temperatures that if you’re lucky might hit 22 degrees. Then on to an evening of overpriced fish and chips, shit beer and miserable B&B owners who lock you out at 9pm.

But obviously it was never the advent of cheap flights to places with warm, crystal clear waters, incredibly cheap, great food and wine, and nice hotels with full board deals. No, it was definitely some mysterious, nebulous swarthy-looking types scaring everyone off. :roll:
By Andy McDandy
A guy I know used to be a door security operative. Did all the big clubs in the north west - Liverpool, Manchester, Chester, Preston, Lancaster, Morecambe. Actually from Shelta (Irish traveller) background, as it happens.

He would not work Blackpool, nor would many other experienced door staff. As he put it, in other towns and cities, you need to know about first aid, defusing arguments, watching out for drink spiking, and all sorts of things. To work the doors in Blackpool, you need to know how to knock someone out with a fire extinguisher.
Philip Marlow liked this
By Abernathy
Andy McDandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:03 pm
He would not work Blackpool, nor would many other experienced door staff. As he put it, in other towns and cities, you need to know about first aid, defusing arguments, watching out for drink spiking, and all sorts of things. To work the doors in Blackpool, you need to know how to knock someone out with a fire extinguisher.
Presumably before the advent of SIA licensing ?
By Tubby Isaacs
Samanfur wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:15 am For the record, "gypsy" is increasingly regarded as an ethnic slur, seen as erasing individual cultures, and with a lot of harmful stereotypes attached.

Romany/Romani tend to prefer to be addressed as such, as do Irish travellers.

The likes of 30p Lee don't care about that angle, but it's one reason why there's been a gradual change in language.
Apologies. I went from using it in a quote to using it myself. I'll only usse "traveller" in future.
By Samanfur
No offence meant or taken. It was just something I felt was worth mentioning.

Even the organisation I work for still uses the term alongside Roma and traveller, and I wonder how long that'll last.
Last edited by Samanfur on Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]