:laughing: 75 % :cry: 25 %
By soulboy
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:21 pm Lee's on food banks again. His dad worked 7 days a week down the pit, and they grew vegetables and kept chickens. That was their food bank!

He seriously said that. Can you spot a problem with that at all? Apart from most likely lying abut his Dad.
My Grandad grew vegetables, had several apples trees, and had both chickens and beehives.

If you had the 300K for a one bedroom flat where Bee Cottage used to be you could have a spud planter on the balcony and cross your fingers for a decent crop of tomatoes and chillies at the back end of a warm summer.

Other than that, the Good Life awaits.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
By Andy McDandy
Seems to be riffing on an old Kinnock speech ("...work 8 hours down the pit then come up and play rugby..."), which was later "homaged" by Joe Biden.

That or various Python Yorkshiremen.
By Youngian
Andy McDandy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:39 pm Seems to be riffing on an old Kinnock speech ("...work 8 hours down the pit then come up and play rugby..."), which was later "homaged" by Joe Biden.
“It was a lonely life,” Biden continued, “No one else had heard of rugby.”
Strange to think the current POTUS was a pretty well known bit part comedy politician in Britain 35 years ago.

Up and coming on Lee’s agenda:
Bring back the cane in schools
Get rid of metric measurements
Slash the mental health budget in favour of a kick up the backside.
By MisterMuncher
davidjay wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:51 pm The party of aspiration, yet they want their grandchildren to struggle as much as they did.
They want *your* grandchildren to struggle.
By Malcolm Armsteen
MisterMuncher wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:28 pm
davidjay wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:51 pm The party of aspiration, yet they want their grandchildren to struggle as much as they did.
Exactly. It's about gaining and maintaining privilege.
By davidjay
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:40 pm
I'm not sure about that. These sociopathic wankers seem to me that they'd send their own grandchildren up chimneys to prove the point that they had it harder. The over-riding force in their lives seems to be aa visceral hatred of anyone who smacks of privilege.
By davidjay
davidjay wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:35 am
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:40 pm

I'm not sure about that. These sociopathic wankers seem to me that they'd send their own grandchildren up chimneys to prove the point that they had it harder. The over-riding force in their lives seems to be a visceral hatred of anyone who smacks of privilege.
By Crabcakes
My great grandad worked down t’pit before they had safety regs so probably *did* work the hours Lee claims his dad did, and then some. He didn’t keep chickens because he couldn’t afford them. And when he wasn’t down the pit he was conscripted into fighting wars for rich people because he was considered disposable. He lived to 96 and voted Labour all his life precisely because of arseholes like Lee who, when they weren’t sucking up to the bosses, were bullying and belittling people less able to stick up for themselves. And his son - my grandad - had a better life than him but never forgot why, and also voted Labour his whole life. I suspect Lee’s dad might do something quite different in the privacy of a poll booth than what he tells his pub bore son.

(Admittedly my dad had a better life still, was the first to go to university and had a career in banking, and consequently voted Tory or worse for years because of association with some of the dullest, most out of touch shits I’ve ever had the misfortune to occasionally come across. But even the best genes occasionally skip a generation 😁)
By Tubby Isaacs
Your Dad wasn't that unusual. As Dennis Healey observed (I think) that lots of that Labour had helped win freedoms for its base, but that lots of them used those freedoms to become more like Tories. But even before this, there was always a big working class Tory vote. The Tories would never have won an egg and spoon race, let alone been the main party of government, if this hadn't have been true.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]