:laughing: 100 %
By Yug
Here's a good one to start us off

Police in England on alert for polling day rage over voter ID rules

Fears that number of people turned away at May’s local elections over identity could be underestimated

Police forces have been alerted to the risk of a spike in disputes and confrontations at the forthcoming local elections, amid concern that new voter ID rules will provoke rows in polling booths across England.

Polling station staff are being trained to de-escalate heated situations expected to arise next month, when many more people than usual are likely to be turned away as a result of new identity checks...

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... r-id-rules
I'll be back in Torytown by then, and the house is next door to the polling station. This could be interesting.
By Samanfur
A colleague of mine who normally mans the polling station reckons that there's a shortage of people wanting to man the stations, and an overabundance of people wanting to help with the count afterwards.

Nobody wants to be on the receiving end of the ID confusion.
By Tubby Isaacs
Unpredictable election here in Herefordshire, because of a party called It's Our County and lots of Independents. Doubtless they're a mixed bag, but lots of them have been prepared to work with non-Tory parties to keep them out. Labour will likely get no seats at all, as they have deferred to Greens in their best ward (my ward). Lib Dems have a candidate too, but aren't campaigning.

I'd expect another non-Tory coalition, which is pretty good seeing the two Westminster seats are very safe indeed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Here ... l_election
By mattomac
Watchman wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:48 pm Five Tory councillors suspended for alleged racism standing in local elections
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
“Let’s ban mosques” - Apparently you can say that in jest.

What a lovely cocknugget, in jest of course*

*or perhaps not.
By Watchman
I’m just imagining Friday’s Mail in respect of photo ID;
War hero, Colin Gusset (87) was outraged when he was asked to provide photo ID in order to vote. Colin told the polling officer that people his age didn’t have such things, but he was still denied his democratic right. Colin told our reporter, “it’s an absolute disgrace, I defeated Nazi Germany so I wouldn’t have to show my papers to anyone, now some jumped up, woke civil servant is stopping me exercising my right to vote, this is clearly a communist plot”
By mattomac
She’s a Labour supporter and goes to the Mirror so the Mail won’t be interested in her because she knows who is actually to blame.

I feel we won’t get that much of an issue and the Tories will go, look see no issues and then it will cause massive issues at the GE because people generally go out to vote in them.
By MisterMuncher
You can also expect plenty of manufactured outrage if Labour or the Lib Dems engage in any kind of activity to get voters sorted with ID before that happens, too.

The Tories are really running through various Republican state legislatures' greatest hits on a two-three year delay at this stage, and if the ID thing doesn't come up trumps (pun somewhat intended) you can expect similar denialism to start to creep in
By Andy McDandy
JRM has asked for "flexibility" from officials, saying there's nothing wrong with presenting an expired passport and that voter impersonation is incredibly rare.

In other words, let my people vote. While admitting the grounds for this law change are bollocks. The long streak of Tory twattery.
Oboogie, Watchman, Spoonman liked this
By Spoonman
Didn't realise that some local elections in England were on today, ours isn't for another fortnight!

In terms of photo ID over here, the official line from the Electoral Office of Northern Ireland is...
The identification document does not need to be current, as long as the photograph is of a good enough likeness to allow polling station staff to confirm the identity of the holder.
https://www.eoni.org.uk/Elections/Elect ... lectio#q89

...which is something that I'm guessing that JRM is hinting at. But if the English legislation doesn't specifically allow for this, then it doesn't and polling staff should not be put in a position to arbitrarily having to judge wherever a person is allowed to vote or not on at best a grey area of electoral law, thanks to an ill thought-out piece of legislation brought in for party political advantage above anything else. That makes elections ripe for legal challenges, especially in close contests.

Edit: @Rosvanian seems to have cleared that up?

MM mentioned about the possibility of Labour, Lib Dems & others maybe having recently organised to get people valid ID cards - that what all the major political parties over here have been doing for years & is simply seen as helping people engage in democracy regardless of political leanings.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]