By kreuzberger
Yesterday, the EU's structural response to the ongoing desperation of poor and disadvantaged people simply shrugged as perhaps over 500 souls perished in the Mediterranean Sea.

Borders, walls and fences don't stop anyone or deter those who are forced to migrate. Building this shit is complicit in the killing, and "Frontex" (a Billy Big Bollocks name for Brussels' criminal negligence) has as much blood on its hands as the Greek authorities.

Even BBC staffers have been choking today when staring this institutional slaughter in the eyes.

As the tide goes out on a reasonably satisfactory day in British politics, I can't ignore that we have bigger fish to fry.
By soulboy
Compare and contrast.

Five people, including a British billionaire, are missing in a submarine near the wreck of The Titanic. The story breaks at the same time as Johnson's political career is hopefully ended and Rishi Sunak's cowardice is yet again revealed.

Lead front page story on The Sun, The Daily Telegraph, The Times, Daily Express, Metro and Daily Mail, as well as being prominent on the front page of every newspaper except the Daily Star.
By mattomac
I found it very odd the way the Mail presented it.

Usually it would have been dead woman corner treatment but their whole page was given over like it was 9/11 or something.

I can only assume this gentleman had some friendship with certain people at the Mail or that he owned some shares as the coverage was just bafflingly to me.
By Andy McDandy
Their defence of Johnson has been (sorry for the pun) sunk. Comprehensively. To the point where only the Express is still coming out to bat for him. Indeed, I'd not be surprised if his new and exciting column is quietly buried.

So, talk about anything else. And billionaires,submarine and Titanic has enough "weird world" to qualify.
By Abernathy
The Weeping Angel wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:32 pm So now they'll all dead will someone explain to me who this was an attempt to distract from Johnson's woes?
Can we have that in some form of recognisable language ?
By Oboogie
Abernathy wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:35 pm
The Weeping Angel wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:32 pm So now they'll all dead will someone explain to me who this was an attempt to distract from Johnson's woes?
"So now they're all dead, will someone explain to me how this was an attempt to distract from Johnson's woes?"
The Weeping Angel liked this
By Spoonman
At a stretch, the whole story of the implosion & attempted rescue mission is an extension of "missing white woman syndrome". Being more rooted to reality, it's less connected than the idea some years back of Cherie Blair getting deliberately up the duff to keep Ken Livingstone's London Mayor run off the front pages.
Dalem Lake liked this
By Malcolm Armsteen
I don't think so. Stories of rescues, or attempted rescues, missing planes, kids in caves - they have a massive human interest pull. The jeopardy, the tragic stories and if possible the snatching of victory from the jaws of defeat. It's what the press loves, and the public wants it, too.

There's also a very strong element of narrativium.
Andy McDandy, Abernathy, Oboogie and 1 others liked this
By MisterMuncher
I have vague recollections of hearing about the firm early on and that they were making a sub from carbon fibre. A middling GCSE technology student could most likely list the ways in which that is a fucking silly idea in the first place.
By Abernathy
Oboogie wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:00 am
Abernathy wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:35 pm
"So now they're all dead, will someone explain to me how this was an attempt to distract from Johnson's woes?"
Nope. Still not getting it.
By Bones McCoy
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:31 am I don't think so. Stories of rescues, or attempted rescues, missing planes, kids in caves - they have a massive human interest pull. The jeopardy, the tragic stories and if possible the snatching of victory from the jaws of defeat. It's what the press loves, and the public wants it, too.

There's also a very strong element of narrativium.
Yes, it makes excellent copy:
Remember the Chilean miners, the Wild Boars cave rescue.

Those with long memories may recall various domestic mining accidents.
Worried relatives gathering at the pithead awaiting any update from the rescue teams.
Oboogie liked this
By Bones McCoy
MisterMuncher wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:17 am I have vague recollections of hearing about the firm early on and that they were making a sub from carbon fibre. A middling GCSE technology student could most likely list the ways in which that is a fucking silly idea in the first place.
You're probably witnessed a carbon fibre bicycle component failure.
Remarkable stuff, light, stiff, but when it fails it fails without warning.
Oboogie liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]