Bones McCoy wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:57 pm I'm going to suggest something revolutionary.

Maybe we should treat by-election results as independent events.
As opposed to part of a complex weave that predicts future general elections.

Labour has one more MP.
Professor John Curtice might disagree with that on this occasion.
Oboogie liked this
Abernathy wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:23 am
Bones McCoy wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:57 pm I'm going to suggest something revolutionary.

Maybe we should treat by-election results as independent events.
As opposed to part of a complex weave that predicts future general elections.

Labour has one more MP.
Professor John Curtice might disagree with that on this occasion.
During my time at Strathclyde University, I did work for the man, I respect his reputation and his work.

However - and here's the point I was trying to make...
Stats will get you so far, especially when they are collected in an isolated context.
By Elections often have big local and personality stories involved.
I believe that proven reliable polls are a much better indicator.

I'll add that the worst aspect of "everything's a numerical model", is the innumerate political figures who'll extrapolate bullshit from any result.
Throw in the dishonest actors who know better, but are spinning for one party, and the whole process is discredited.

Maybe I've been fatigued by the over-use of statistics in sports coverage.
"Middlesborough have never scored during the first 20 minutes at Norwich" - Well OK, you've got a database, but so the fuck what..

Push it a bit further and you're in nonsense territory like "The coin's bound to show tails this time" or "The Generals are due a win".
All that was showing at the time of this by election is Labour’s vote was improving in Scotland but we had little proper election data due to the council cycle.

This allows us to suggest that Labour are winning support back up there that’s why it’s big along with the swing and the absolute squeeze on LD and Con votes
Shades of House of Cards. "He made regular financial contributions to left wing causes, and admits to still supporting some of them!". Translation: he paid his student union subs on time, and isn't a fan of apartheid.
mattomac liked this
Andy McDandy wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:32 pm Shades of House of Cards. "He made regular financial contributions to left wing causes, and admits to still supporting some of them!". Translation: he paid his student union subs on time, and isn't a fan of apartheid.
Student Unions' are free to join ;)
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]