Tubby Isaacs wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:20 am ... I haven't heard of a football team from there.
I am probably on shaky ground here, but I think that Clyde FC played at Shawfield Stadium in the Burgh until around the mid-eighties.

I never went to a game, but there was once a night at Shawfield involving tons of booze and a few dog races.
Abernathy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:37 am Irvine Welsh tends to set his scenes, including his worst ones, mostly in Edinburgh, not Glasgow.
Ah this was Glasgow though, I’ve never been near the rough areas of Edinburgh, then again Rebus isn’t Welsh is it, that’s probably my mistake.

Those housing scheme outdoor scenes were actually shot in Easterhouse. Presumably, that was a decision made by Danny Boyle but which Welsh then endorsed.
kreuzberger wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:29 pm
I am probably on shaky ground here, but I think that Clyde FC played at Shawfield Stadium in the Burgh until around the mid-eighties.

I never went to a game, but there was once a night at Shawfield involving tons of booze and a few dog races.
I always muddled Clyde up with Clydebank. At least it's harder to make that mistake now.
MisterMuncher wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:14 amLeith.
I've not been there for some time but a few years ago it seemed as though the regeneration money had run out halfway through, so you had tenement blocks next to loft developments and Michelin restaurants sandwiched between an offy and a bookies.
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:20 am Rutherglen is a bigger town than I thought it must be. 30,000 people. Probably thought it was smaller because I haven't heard of a football team from there.
'mon the Glencairn!!

Rutherglen was a Royal Burgh before betting absorbed into Glasgow.
kreuzberger wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:29 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:20 am ... I haven't heard of a football team from there.

At the end of the Eighties Shawfield hosted Clyde, Glasgow's American football teams and the Speedway.
I think the dogs are back now, and the other tenants have moved on.

The M74 has rather isolated Shawfield and the surrounding desolation form Rutherglen now.
mattomac wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:42 pm
Abernathy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:37 am Irvine Welsh tends to set his scenes, including his worst ones, mostly in Edinburgh, not Glasgow.
Ah this was Glasgow though, I’ve never been near the rough areas of Edinburgh, then again Rebus isn’t Welsh is it, that’s probably my mistake.

Those housing scheme outdoor scenes were actually shot in Easterhouse. Presumably, that was a decision made by Danny Boyle but which Welsh then endorsed.
The scene where they shoot the dog with an air rifle was Rouken Glen park.
The poshest park in posh East Renfrewshire.
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:36 pm Eastwood, the predecessor of East Renfrewshire, was a rare safe Tory seat in Scotland back in the day. Even in the Poll Tax disaster election of 1987, they won it by over 6,000. What sort of Tory voters are/ were these?
Eastwood had the first or second british outlet of (I forget the name) a california Wholefood / Fresh food supermarket.
I dropped in for a nosey when having a tyre replaced.

Loaves at £2.50 when similar size ones were about 60p at Sainsburys.
Potatoes (Organic) at 3 quid a pound.
Potatoes (Organic) covered in dirt at £3.60 a pound.

If Harry Enfield wanted inspiration for a sketch about overpriced goods and housewives with more money than sense, he could have started here.

The place went bust, and there were rumours of a new Waitrose opening in its place.
When the new tenant turned out to be LIDL, residents, encouraged by wanker MP Jackson Carslaw raised a petition to protest.

Where are they now.
LIDL is doing a roaring trade.
Less well heeled residents can actually aford the food that's for sale in their district.
Jackson Carslaw's raising a petition to protest against parliamentary boundary changes which will add less well heeled neighbourhoods to his constituency.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
By mattomac
Seems the battle lines have been drawn.

SNP started out on the child benefit thing but of course got asked what they are doing about it so have gone back to Independence, assuming this is the position they will take in the GE it will be interesting to see if can get them over the line.

I feel Labour are probably most of the 11k who submitted the recall however it’s still an impressively high number for something not massively promoted. You have to remember at an election you’ve forgot press and leaflets this would have had nothing during a summer holiday
By mattomac
I see the Labour candidate has taken the lines of Scottish Labour, I do think Beales sopping to ULEZ protest late on didn’t help him.

It’s also cut off the SNP attack as they keep saying he will be Starmer’s man when he has elected and yet he quite clearly shows he isn’t.

I’ve said Scottish Labour with their decent leader should take most of this campaign, see if they can get Gordon out shaking a few hands.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]