By soulboy
Labour-run Birmingham looks like being a Tory attack line but is the tip of the iceberg.

I think there is value in tracking councils that have had to declare "bankruptcy" as I can see this becoming a major issue in the next election. Missed bin collections and rats in the street are far more visible to most people than small boats.

One from the Tory heartlands.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ug-deficit
By Bones McCoy
soulboy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:22 pm Labour-run Birmingham looks like being a Tory attack line but is the tip of the iceberg.

I think there is value in tracking councils that have had to declare "bankruptcy" as I can see this becoming a major issue in the next election. Missed bin collections and rats in the street are far more visible to most people than small boats.

One from the Tory heartlands.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ug-deficit
Show me a city without rats in the street, and I'll show you a city you barely know.
The rodent issue is a classic example of the client press turning a Nelsonian eye.
By Crabcakes
Woking is the antidote to any attack lines based on Birmingham. The cuts they need there are far, far bigger and entirely the result of Tory mismanagement and hubris.

Not to say Birmingham has been flawlessly managed, but the other big reason for the cash problems in so many councils is of course Tory central govt. mismanagement. So again, everything leads back to the piss-poor £9.99 Argos value range ‘cabinet’ we’ve been lumbered with for the past decade or so.
By slilley
There are some on comment columns etc talking about Woking Council claiming that the Lib Dems have bankrupted the council having only been in power there for a year. They dont mention that the financial mess was created by the previous Conservative administration and the problem has exploded on the Lib Dems watch. the same applies to Guildford.
Spoonman, Oboogie liked this
By Bones McCoy
Michael Gove’s local council warns of bankruptcy risk after failed Tory investments

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... nvestments
Michael Gove’s local council warns of bankruptcy risk after failed Tory investments
New Lib Dem leadership in Surrey Heath attacks previous Conservative regime for racking up debts of £165m

Richard Partington Economics correspondent
@RJPartington
Wed 13 Sep 2023 16.25 BST
Michael Gove’s local council is warning that it faces effective bankruptcy within two years after racking up millions of pounds in debt for failed property investments overseen by its former Conservative administration.

Surrey Heath borough council is in the parliamentary constituency of Gove, who as levelling up secretary is the cabinet minister in charge of local government.

The tiny Surrey local authority – where the Liberal Democrats seized power in May after almost half a century of Conservative control – said its finances were under “severe pressure” as it struggles with debts worth £165m, while warning that high inflation and rising debt interest payments could leave it in “effective bankruptcy”.

“Clearly he [Gove] and his colleagues have been asleep at the wheel for a long time,” said Shaun Macdonald, the council’s new Lib Dem leader.
By Tubby Isaacs
And Chorley, but otherwise the concentration is incredible. 7 out of 11 of the districtcouncils in Surrey.

Some of these districts are far too small, basically one constituency. Why does Surrey have 11 district councils? If there aren't plans already to wipe most of these away and replace with a couple of unitaries, there should be.
Oboogie liked this
By slilley
Watchman wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:11 am Epsom and Ewell…..MP Chris Grayling. I knew investing in that ferry company was a mistake
Epsom & Ewell has been run by the Resi-Tories since the year dot, if not before. I am suprised they are on the list as their policy is to avoid spending any money on anything and refusing permission for anything.

My best friend still lives there so I will look to get the full story from him when I next speak with him.

Simon
By Tubby Isaacs
1937, apparently. I had no idea. Must be pretty much unique.

Looks like it's the same problem as elsewhere, judging by this from 2017.
The Property Investment Strategy (“the Strategy”) aims to provide a robust and
viable framework for the acquisition of commercial and residential property
investments.
The purchase of suitable commercial property investments will assist the Council
generate additional income to support the delivery of the Council’s services by
investing in a diversified and balanced property portfolio. It will improve the financial
resilience of the Council and support its longer term ambition to become financially
self-sufficient from central government funding.
The Strategy governs the acquisition of both directly held Council investment
property as well as indirect purchases made through the Council’s 100% wholly
owned property trading company - Epsom & Ewell Property Investment Company
Ltd.
Small staters are as likely to think they're property geniuses as anyone else.
Spoonman liked this
By soulboy
An election year?

Over 40 MPs – including seven former cabinet members – urge the government to re-think local authority funding plans

https://www.countycouncilsnetwork.org.u ... ing-plans/
The group of MPs, include former Local Government Secretary of States Robert Jenrick and Greg Clark, as well as prominent former cabinet members such as Priti Patel, Therese Coffey, Damien Green, and Brandon Lewis. They also include former local government ministers Neil O’Brien, Heather Wheeler, Kit Malthouse, and Jake Berry.
Would the Prime Minister agree with...
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]