:sunglasses: 50 % :pray: 12.5 % :laughing: 12.5 % :cry: 12.5 % :🤗 12.5 %
kreuzberger wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:05 pm (note to self: the Kreuzette winds up Radio Drei of a misty morn. I need to come to this and wean myself off that noxious shit.)
I recommend that for news from the Island in the morning, you limit yourself to that delightfully Reithian period upon the Home Service between 05:20 and 06:00. You will learn all you will need to know, from the winds in South Utsire to what is happening on the farms. And a few minutes of news without comment or analysis.

After that, either switch off or tune to Radio Drei.
Boiler wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:00 pm I see the nutters are out: I believe there were suggestions that there has been a spike in searches for Welsh postcodes from English IP addresses.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66902150

Seems like another case of Crank Magnetism...
Crank magnetism is the condition where people become attracted to multiple crank ideas at the same time. Crank magnetism also denotes the tendency — even for otherwise "lone issue" cranks — to accumulate more crank beliefs over time. You know that old saying about not being so open-minded that your brain falls out? People with crank magnetism didn't pay attention to that. Crank magnetism is an important stepping stone on the path towards being wrong all of the time.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Crank_magnetism
Boiler wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:49 pm
kreuzberger wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:05 pm (note to self: the Kreuzette winds up Radio Drei of a misty morn. I need to come to this and wean myself off that noxious shit.)
I recommend that for news from the Island in the morning, you limit yourself to that delightfully Reithian period upon the Home Service between 05:20 and 06:00. You will learn all you will need to know, from the winds in South Utsire to what is happening on the farms. And a few minutes of news without comment or analysis.
Farming Today is a firm MW favourite for being a Reithian redoubt. A fact highlighted by the awfulness of the Today programme which follows it. Did my NCTJ journalist training with Farming Today’s reporter and now producer. She was the smartest person in the room even back then.
Spoonman wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:15 pm Seems like another case of Crank Magnetism...
Crank magnetism is the condition where people become attracted to multiple crank ideas at the same time. Crank magnetism also denotes the tendency — even for otherwise "lone issue" cranks — to accumulate more crank beliefs over time. You know that old saying about not being so open-minded that your brain falls out? People with crank magnetism didn't pay attention to that. Crank magnetism is an important stepping stone on the path towards being wrong all of the time.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Crank_magnetism
That has just explained one of my family members...
There’s an article by James Bloodworth on the Russell Brand thread that touches on this phenomenon. If you believe the elites secretly plotted to kill Princess Diana, it’s not hard to start believing they’re secretly plotting all sorts of other shit by using the same illogic. Conspiracies do exist of course but they differ from conspiracy theories because of evidence.
Article from The Athletic on Rickie Lambert, who's gone mad, and why footballers in general may fall for conspiracy stuff.

Not sure there's much more to be said than "law averages, there are a lot of well-known former footballers", mind.

https://theathletic.com/4885754/2023/09 ... -theories/
In terms of sub-demographics most likely to go a bit odd and start espousing complete fucking bollocks, none hold a candle to Nobel prize winners
Tubby Isaacs liked this
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:55 pm Article from The Athletic on Rickie Lambert, who's gone mad, and why footballers in general may fall for conspiracy stuff.

Not sure there's much more to be said than "law averages, there are a lot of well-known former footballers", mind.

What was the reason, grifters target people who don’t know anything but aren’t short of a few quid?
It seems that Noel Edmonds, having moved to settle on New Zealand's south island, has gone from showing some rather oddball behaviour a decade or so ago into pretty much delving down the now familiar conspiracy** rabbit hole.

'You're the enemy': Noel Edmonds' cycleway rant and a meeting of conspiracy theorists

“I turned up with a contractor, expecting to have a conversation about practicalities of the project, go for a wander, see how we could make it work for everyone,” Crisp recalls.

Instead, she got a taste of Edmonds’ cantankerousness. He wanted to record the conversation, at River Haven’s cafe, which Crisp agreed to.

He asked who she worked for.

She explained the trust contracted to the council, to manage and develop the Great Taste Trail, an established cycleway and tourist attraction.

At mention of the council, Edmonds bristled.

“When he heard that, he said, ‘you’re the servant and I’m the ratepayer, so I’m the master’,” Crisp says.
In August, he sent an email to various people in the community urging them to attend an “emergency” public meeting being organised by “people who care about River Haven, Motueka and Kiwis everywhere”.

The “entire River haven team” would be attending, the email said, and “as someone so important to our venture, I trust we can rely upon your attendance”.

He signed off by saying: “If you can’t support the River Haven community at this pivotal time, I will understand. But I won’t forget. No threat, just fact. Love and positivity, Noel.”
...no Mr Edmonds, that's a threat.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/30099386 ... -theorists

**even if he feigns ignorance, as mentioned in the linked article.
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:55 pm Article from The Athletic on Rickie Lambert, who's gone mad, and why footballers in general may fall for conspiracy stuff.

The article's behind a paywall, so I can only guess that "forced to abandon education early", "wealthy demographic attracts dodgy influencers", "prone to irrational superstitions" and "Hoddle" feature heavily.

The "MMA and Gym bunny" crowd are a similar bunch who appear to have been deliberately targeted by the US alt right (and some in the UK).

I have a nephew gym type.
He's keen to tell me the latest thing he learned from Joe Rogan.
Before that it was Alex Jones.

Currently simping for Putin who "He felt threatened by the west".
Also anti-vax, and liable to sing the praises of crypto.

He does shut up when I imply his type are obviously bald older men, and I'm sure they'd like him too.
Boiler liked this
Looks like there’s a bit more to the Noel Edmunds story than a “local hero” standing up to the might of the council

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rinks.html
Noel Edmonds sparks furious row with New Zealanders as they accuse him of 'colonising' idyllic village with £15m Crinkley Bottom estate and pub with lewd drinks

That's pure Gideon Soames off the Fast Show. "We've received terrible news. The house has fallen into the hands of Jocky Wilson, who plans to level it and build a darts theme park.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]