By Tubby Isaacs
The narrative of New Labour's fairy-tale victory of 1997 doesn't always include the role of turnout. One Tory campaigner from the time says there was a "toxic combination of switchers and stay at homes".

They recall that "for every ten doors you knocked on of Tory voters, you probably had three or four direct switchers and two or three who were just not going to vote".
They recall that, do they? That's a new one on me. I can recall them saying that there wasn't any love for Labour. And they seemed genuinely surprised by the election result.
By Andy McDandy
I recall the labour bandwagon picking up increasing steam and their leading lights being treated like rock stars. LDs too. Charlie Kennedy and Martin Lewis for two in Lancaster. Fuck the Tories was very much the mood.
By Oboogie
I don't think the "There's no love for Starmer" line being peddled by Mogg, Sunak et al is the win they think it is, even if it were true. Surely, losing to a really unpopular Labour leader is an even worse reflection on the Tories than losing to a popular one?
kreuzberger, Samanfur liked this
By Bones McCoy
Oboogie wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:11 am I don't think the "There's no love for Starmer" line being peddled by Mogg, Sunak et al is the win they think it is, even if it were true. Surely, losing to a really unpopular Labour leader is an even worse reflection on the Tories than losing to a popular one?
I think the public have had enough of personality cults.
Oboogie, Samanfur liked this
By satnav
Ben Habib has stated today that he will stand in Wellingborough at the next general election. This seems rather an odd choice on his part because if he can't even manage 2nd place in a by-election he has no chance of winning it at a general election. Presumably when the general election does take place Ben Habib and Richard Tice will spend much of the campaign either in the TV studios or campaigning nationally, so they won't have that much time to take part in local campaigning in a specific constituency.
By Bones McCoy
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:51 pm He can say anything, none of the people who vote for him will care. I would think Tice will get Clacton, or Farage if he comes back. I suppose somewhere like Boston and Skegness would be next best, but maybe Habib thinks he can build on name recognition in Wellingborough.
There are places in the country where anybody capable of landing a couple of GCSEs ups and leaves as soon as possible.

It's remarkable how many of them elected gobby red wall style MPs.
By mattomac
Problem is they had Conservative next to their name.

It’s ironically beneficial for Reform to run again in seats where they have at least done ground work.

Like this dickwad challenging Starmer, he’s going hold a few protests, a few street stalls a march or two but he won’t go near a doorstep and will get about 500 votes.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]