:laughing: 100 %
By Abernathy
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:25 pm @Abernathy
What was the importance/size of the 'Gaza' vote going against Labour in the West Midlands, do you think?
I’d say that it more or less equates to the 69,000 odd votes polled by Akhmed Yakoob - damned substantial. His entire campaign seemed to be anti-Labour on the basis of the Palestine/Gaza issue. Which is worrying because we‘ve been here before : in Birmingham in 2004, Lib Dems took advantage of anger at Labour over the invasion of Iraq the previous year, in combination with an all-up election on re-drawn ward boundaries, to defeat Labour in key muslim Labour-supporting areas by stirring up anti-Labour sentiment, and which led to the Tory/Lib Dem coalition that controlled the city for eight years and was supposedly the model for the dreadful national Tory/LibDem Clegg/Cameron coalition of 2010- 2015.
By davidjay
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:25 pm @Abernathy
What was the importance/size of the 'Gaza' vote going against Labour in the West Midlands, do you think?
The independent had no policies other than Palestine so I would guess that about 90% of his vote was down to that. He got two-thirds of his votes in Birmingham, and there are no marginals there with a large Muslim community.
By Tubby Isaacs
Think it may be overrated how many of the Independent voters would have even voted otherwise. Voting against Genocide is a bigger thing than voting for tram extensions or to stick it to Rishi Sunak. Slight swing against Labour in Birmingham, so I suppose a lot of them must have been Labour voters but by no means all.
By The Weeping Angel
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:36 pm Think it may be overrated how many of the Independent voters would have even voted otherwise. Voting against Genocide is a bigger thing than voting for tram extensions or to stick it to Rishi Sunak. Slight swing against Labour in Birmingham, so I suppose a lot of them must have been Labour voters but by no means all.
I'd add even without all that is happening in Gaza it would still have been close.
By Abernathy
The Weeping Angel wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:30 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:36 pm Think it may be overrated how many of the Independent voters would have even voted otherwise. Voting against Genocide is a bigger thing than voting for tram extensions or to stick it to Rishi Sunak. Slight swing against Labour in Birmingham, so I suppose a lot of them must have been Labour voters but by no means all.
I'd add even without all that is happening in Gaza it would still have been close.
Yes, of course it would. The point is that without the Gaza issue being deployed in the way it was, it would have been appreciably less close.
By Tubby Isaacs
The West Midlands PCC election was won very easily by Labour. It was a straight fight between Labour and Tory, no Galloway-Independent. Looks like some of the Gaza voters voted Labour in that.

The trouble for Labour is that the 6 weeks of a GE campaign is a long time for Galloway to tour the country and get up a head of steam.
By The Weeping Angel
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:21 am The West Midlands PCC election was won very easily by Labour. It was a straight fight between Labour and Tory, no Galloway-Independent. Looks like some of the Gaza voters voted Labour in that.

The trouble for Labour is that the 6 weeks of a GE campaign is a long time for Galloway to tour the country and get up a head of steam.
That election almost didn't take place as Andy Street wanted to get rid of the role and absorb the responsibilties into the combined authority. Simon Foster had to go to court for the election to go ahead,
By Watchman
Just had a look at the local elections for 2023, the seeds were clearly sow and we are now seeing the result, nothing has improved for Sunak, plus all the by-elections losses. And they are still saying now what they said then, “protest vote”, “ no stomach for Starmer”, “we will turn it round”, and Sunak was in denial then. Looks like the last 12 months haven’t been a bad dream at all, but bad reality. Admit it man , you’re fucked
By slilley
Watchman wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:40 am Just had a look at the local elections for 2023, the seeds were clearly sow and we are now seeing the result, nothing has improved for Sunak, plus all the by-elections losses. And they are still saying now what they said then, “protest vote”, “ no stomach for Starmer”, “we will turn it round”, and Sunak was in denial then. Looks like the last 12 months haven’t been a bad dream at all, but bad reality. Admit it man , you’re fucked
All the Government interviews I have seen since polling day have been the same that the results were disappointing (an understatement), that only the Conservatives have a plan ( hmm I think both main opposition parties are saying what they would do), that the Government has brought down inflation (how? I think it is the bank of England and its interest rate policy mostly responsible), there is no enthusiasm for Starmer (maybe not but plenty of people voted for his party).

I appreciate these people get sent out to bat with a certain message, but it takes the electorate for fools if they keep parroting this stuff. The results were a walloping, they ended up with less seats than the Liberal Democrats, so if they said yes we took a beating and we need to address people's concerns, which are mainly around the economy and public services they would get a far fairer hearing. But they are in a state of denial in public at the very least and long may it continue.
mattomac liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]