:sunglasses: 28 % :pray: 12 % :laughing: 32 % :cry: 28 %
By Malcolm Armsteen
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:26 pm Not worth it at all. You’d need to change the constitution.
Not necessarily. A different Supreme Court might well define 'a well organised militia' rather differently, after all the present shitshow is not what the founding fathers had in mind.

But that would also require constitutional change to limit the tenure of Supreme Court judges - an idea which seems to be gaining some traction.
Don't tell the Americans but bits of the constitution were very badly drafted...
By Tubby Isaacs
I'm not sure. Certainly, pre-Heller (2008) there was a legal framework much more tolerant of gun control locally. But there were still, by our standards, and incredible amount of guns about in lots of places. You certainly didn't have to be a member of a "militia" to own one. With the second amendment in place, you won't get British gun control.
By Malcolm Armsteen
That's the sort of thing, although reading some US sources there is rnough leeway in the 2nd Amendment to considerably alter its presence in law. E.G. you can have an assault rifle so long as you are actually part of a well organised (official) militia.
By Abernathy
The problem seems to be the quite untrammeled political power of the National Rifle Association, which seems to be on perpetual alert to mobilise against literally any move to impose even the most modest of restrictions on gun ownership.

All it would take would be the political will to take on and defeat this immensely powerful vested interest group. The second amendment is obviously utter bollocks in the context of the 21st century. But it’s very difficult to see where that political will is coming from, if it’s ever coming at all.
By Bones McCoy
Meanwhile, American derangement syndrome escalates.

Stand with Trump; Fund the $355M Unjust Judgment

https://www.gofundme.com/f/stand-with-t ... settlement
My name is Elena Cardone and I am a wife of Grant Cardone, mother and an ardent supporter of American values and an advocate for justice, I stand unwaveringly with President Donald Trump in the face of what I see as unprecedented and unfair treatment by certain judicial elements in New York.
The recent legal battles he faces are not just an attack on him, but an attack on the very ideals of fairness and due process that every American deserves. It's a moment that calls into question the balance of justice and the application of law, disproportionately aimed at silencing a voice that has been at the forefront of advocating for American strength, prosperity, and security.
By The Weeping Angel
I doubt this will get six articles in the NYT.

https://www.aol.com/donald-trump-calls- ... kJqnCDXkDm
Former president Donald Trump called Melania ‘Mercedes’ as he praised his wife during a speech in Washington DC.

The crowd at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) gave the former First Lady a standing ovation as Mr Trump described how “people love her”.

“Oh look at that Mercedes, that’s pretty good” he said as the audience stood and applauded.

The GOP presidential hopeful was making the keynote speech on 24 February on the same day as voters head to the polls in the South Carolina primary.
By Crabcakes
Starting to think the Biden age thing is backfiring on Trump. In pushing it, he’s increased the scrutiny on his own incoherent ramblings and come up with equally incoherent reasons to explain them. Whereas Biden’s team have (sensibly) started to just drop him into normal situations where he comes across as a normal guy. An old guy, sure, but clearly in charge of his faculties.

His appearance on Seth Meyer was sharp, funny and punchy. And even if it was scripted or autocued, that shows he can follow a script or read an autocue. Both things Trump struggles with, and god forbid he gets to ad lib.

And there’s also a widely under-reported factor that Trump is winning his GOP primaries but underperforming in terms of vote share as to what’s expected - in some cases by up to 20%. Whereas Biden/democrats are overperforming.

Obviously I won’t feel entirely happy until the race is called for Biden, but I just get a sense the momentum has shifted and that the (US) media - or parts of it at least - are cranking out a narrative of a tight, exciting fight when that’s not looking like what may happen…
Oboogie, Arrowhead liked this
By Andy McDandy
https://www.thepoke.com/2024/02/27/maga ... said-them/

No idea if, given the source (Jimmy Kimmell is a late night comedy show host) the people here are actual members of the public, or actors. But if the former, the level of disconnect and double standards is disconcerting.

Short version - people were vox-popped and asked their opinions on quotes from Trump, but falsely attributed to Biden. They were overwhelmingly negative. Then, when told the source of the quote was actually Trump, they very quickly started excusing or praising the sentiments expressed.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]