:sunglasses: 62.5 % :pray: 12.5 % :laughing: 25 %
By RedSparrows
Andy McDandy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:08 am According to Allister Heath in today's Torygraph, the latest woke thing is capitalism. Behind a paywall, but the gist seems to be that business leaders are too concerned about good PR and attracting customers, rather than.....whatever businesses should do.
They're backing themselves into the most deranged corners. It should be laughed out of the room...
Dalem Lake liked this
By Andy McDandy
He's another of those Tory Boys with the serious glasses and hard stare byline photos, which they think make them look tough and authoritative, but actually just make them look like the sort of person who builds bombs in their shed.

Born and raised in Gateshead (and I imagine/hope spent a good part of his youth getting the shit repeatedly kicked out of him by Biffa Bacon types), then a spell at Durham where he ran the student radio station and ripped off the PRS. Then it's the usual - Speccy, Torygraph leaders, think tank, married some posh fash totty.
By Tubby Isaacs
Who's this goon with 1.7m followers? Who's "banning" the term Dark Ages? Any bills in legislatures, or are we talking about the equivalent of an English teacher saying he was banning the word "nice" from the class's essays?

And isn't "Early Medieval Period" better anyway? Admttedly, this is a new fangled term- Penguin published a book with this title in 1972.

By Yug
The period 500 to 1000, which G O Sayle refers to as "early mediaeval" in his book "The Mediaeval Foundations of England", published in 1950.

Academics have been trying to kill off the term "Dark Ages" for over 70 years.
kreuzberger, mattomac liked this
By Boiler
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:34 pm Who's this goon with 1.7m followers?
According to his bio at http://paulgraham.com/bio.html

Paul Graham is a programmer, writer, and investor. In 1995, he and Robert Morris started Viaweb, the first software as a service company. Viaweb was acquired by Yahoo in 1998, where it became Yahoo Store. In 2001 he started publishing essays on paulgraham.com, which now gets around 25 million page views per year. In 2005 he and Jessica Livingston, Robert Morris, and Trevor Blackwell started Y Combinator, the first of a new type of startup incubator. Since 2005 Y Combinator has funded over 3000 startups, including Airbnb, Dropbox, Stripe, and Reddit. In 2019 he published a new Lisp dialect written in itself called Bel.

Paul is the author of On Lisp (Prentice Hall, 1993), ANSI Common Lisp (Prentice Hall, 1995), and Hackers & Painters (O'Reilly, 2004). He has an AB from Cornell and a PhD in Computer Science from Harvard, and studied painting at RISD and the Accademia di Belle Arti in Florence.
By Tubby Isaacs
Boiler wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:41 pm

According to his bio at http://paulgraham.com/bio.html

Paul Graham is a programmer, writer, and investor. In 1995, he and Robert Morris started Viaweb, the first software as a service company. Viaweb was acquired by Yahoo in 1998, where it became Yahoo Store. In 2001 he started publishing essays on paulgraham.com, which now gets around 25 million page views per year. In 2005 he and Jessica Livingston, Robert Morris, and Trevor Blackwell started Y Combinator, the first of a new type of startup incubator. Since 2005 Y Combinator has funded over 3000 startups, including Airbnb, Dropbox, Stripe, and Reddit. In 2019 he published a new Lisp dialect written in itself called Bel.

Paul is the author of On Lisp (Prentice Hall, 1993), ANSI Common Lisp (Prentice Hall, 1995), and Hackers & Painters (O'Reilly, 2004). He has an AB from Cornell and a PhD in Computer Science from Harvard, and studied painting at RISD and the Accademia di Belle Arti in Florence.
Ah bloke in computers puts the so-called experts to rights.
By kreuzberger
The chinos and boat shoes, that is a siren for self-assured cuntery. I have met a few.

One is doing 12 years in Virginia without parole, owing to it being on federal charges. Cunt still officially owes me close to 100 of them there yankee grands.

In fairness, I quite liked the bloke but that bonhomie is how you blag over $130m.
By Boiler
kreuzberger wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:03 pm The chinos and boat shoes, that is a siren for self-assured cuntery. I have met a few.
For some reason I remember a Steve Bell cartoon about yuppies that mentioned comfy slacks and boat shoes... ah, here it is:

That aside, any chance of you getting that wedge back?
By Yug
I wouldn't put any weight on the opinions of someone who, in some of his other tweets, comes across as a transphobic fuckloon.

I have little idea of what he's talking about, and I suspect that he doesn't either.
By Tubby Isaacs
Yeah, funny that he'd be a transphobe, isn't it? Depressing amount of followers. This sort of stuff isn't uncommon at all, that's why it interested me.

I can't make up my mind whether people like this understand or not. You'd think somebody would have pointed out that it doesn't actually say what he's saying. "Used within schools" to discuss the importance of different factors and their interplay.

Actually, fuck it, he and the rest of them know exactly what they're doing.
By Yug
It's not that he (and his fellow travellers) don't understand the issues, it's that it's blatantly obvious that they've made no effort to even try to understand. Just rant about it. And some of it clearly shows this bloke to be unhinged. His rant about the Costa Coffee logo glorifying unnecessary mastectomies is something else entirely.
mattomac liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]