:sunglasses: 100 %
By Youngian
Macron forcing the pension reforms through by (legal and proper) executive decree appears to be exciting the protesters’ wrath. Maybe time to end executive presidencies if they’re such avid parliamentarians.
Read that in Denmark you can retire earlier if you’re in stressful and manual occupations. That would conjure up liberal interpretations in France; “Nous sommes des mineurs de littérature,” claimed protesting librarians.
By Tubby Isaacs
Yes, I agree about physical work.

But Macron is much more right than wrong about this. As I may have said before, Corbyn in 2017 ran on 66 as the pension age, which puts 64 into perspective.

It would be nice if the second biggest economy in the Eurozone showed a bit of concern about debt, and all. That's not to say it has to go for fiscal tightening that forces the economy into recession or anything, but that's where it could end up before too long. The same people agitating against this will be moaning about cuts and taxes if that happens.
By Youngian
It’s not just international confidence a French president has to worry about but millions of voters who may conclude you’re not up to the job if mob rule changes your policy direction.
At best protests can be a catalyst to concentrate minds for more innovative solutions. Like EV conversation subsidies for those on low incomes. So the Yellow vest ‘radicals’ rioting over petrol price rises can now shut the fuck up.
By Malcolm Armsteen
Drove back across northern France today.
Lack of some petrol (SP95) in Normandy - squeaky bum for a bit - and a big manif with burning tyres, rockets, flares and burning cable reels at le Pont de Normandie, and supposedly a big manif at the tunnel - when we got there they were cleaning up what looked like it had been another pile of burning tyres, and the car park was closed off, which is a bit of a concern at the Channel Tunnel. I think they had moved on to the freight section.

All seemed very good-natured, though.

The M25 is a fucking nightmare, though..
By Oboogie
Parliamentary inquiry exposes collusion between French far-right and Russia • FRANCE 24 English

French far-right leader Marine Le Pen testified for nearly four hours Wednesday before the parliamentary inquiry committee on foreign interference, which is investigating potential links between her National Rally party and Russia. At the centre of discussions is a 9.4 million euro loan her party took out from a Czech-Russian bank, which is still being repaid. …

Tubby Isaacs liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
Why on earth would they have called for this? What did they think would happen?

This stuff was very obvious at the time of the Presidential Election. They still got 42%, and won lost of departements. Aside from the racism, how anyone votes for that "cut taxes, more spending" bollocks is beyond me.
mattomac liked this
By Watchman
I’m sure Mr Armsteen gets on with his neighbours

‘It’s been hell’: Briton tells of harassment in French bridle path dispute
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... SApp_Other
By Malcolm Armsteen
I don't know if this has penetrated UK news, but there has been a big march in Paris, against anti-semitism.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... tisemitism
More than 100,000 people, including senior politicians, have marched in Paris against antisemitism amid a dramatic surge in anti-Jewish incidents across France and bitter political rows over whether – and how – to take part.

“Our order of the day today is … the total fight against antisemitism, which is the opposite of the values of the Republic,” Gérard Larcher, the French senate speaker and a co-organiser of the largely peaceful demonstration, said as it got under way.

His counterpart in the lower house and the march’s co-organiser, Yaël Braun-Pivet, said as the march neared its end near the Luxembourg Garden: “In France, we are able to unite around our common base, our history and our future.”

The prime minister, Élisabeth Borne, whose Jewish father survived Auschwitz but took his life when she was 11, said at the head of the procession that when it came to antisemitism, the nation “must let nothing pass”.
Emmanuel Macron, the French president, did not take part but said earlier he would be there “in my heart and in my thoughts”, adding that there could be “no tolerance for the intolerable” and France must be “united behind its values, its universalism”.

In a letter published in Le Parisien newspaper, Macron condemned the “unbearable resurgence of unbridled antisemitism” in France. “A France where our Jewish citizens are afraid is not France,” he said.

How different from this bastion of equality and tolerance...
By kreuzberger
Given their/(our*) history, it's easy to scare the living shite out of Jews. The press know how to press all the right buttons, and it's child's play.

*One of these days, I suppose that I will need to firmly establish how Jewish I am, but I get goose flesh every time a bass clarinet and a sop sax kick off inna Yiddish-stylee.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]