:sunglasses: 38.9 % :pray: 2.8 % :laughing: 30.6 % 🧥 8.3 % :cry: 8.3 % :🤗 2.8 % :poo: 8.3 %
By Youngian
Oboogie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:03 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:41 pm As a good Hindu.
I know he's a Hindu (I'm unqualified to assess how 'good' he might be), but whilst many Hindus are vegetarian, most are not.
Thought I heard it’s a tradition for Brahmins and other upper castes but not necessarily so
Nehru was a non-vegetarian like most of Kashmiri Brahmins (including Brahmins of Bihar, Bengal etc.) but there is no proof in the contemporary official or non-official records that he was a beef-eater.
https://sabrangindia.in/pandit-jawaharl ... -gang/amp/
By Oboogie
Apparently Hindus are prone to lie about their diet due to religious/societal pressures, making it hard to ascertain the true numbers. From my brief Googling, it seems most estimates of vegetarianism amongst Hindus are in the 30-40% range.

"If you go by three large-scale government surveys, 23%-37% of Indians are estimated to be vegetarian. By itself this is nothing remarkably revelatory.

But new research by US-based anthropologist Balmurli Natrajan and India-based economist Suraj Jacob, points to a heap of evidence that even these are inflated estimations because of "cultural and political pressures". So people under-report eating meat - particularly beef - and over-report eating vegetarian food.

Taking all this into account, say the researchers, only about 20% of Indians are actually vegetarian - much lower than common claims and stereotypes suggest.

Hindus, who make up 80% of the Indian population, are major meat-eaters. Even only a third of the privileged, upper-caste Indians are vegetarian."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-43581122
By Abernathy
Thoughtful piece from Nick Cohen :
Yet there is nothing remotely tedious about Keir Starmer. He has the potential to be one of the most extraordinary figures in modern British history.
https://nickcohen.substack.com/p/keir- ... t-ruthless

Keir Starmer: the nicest ruthless bastard you could hope to meet
By Tubby Isaacs
I know this stuff is ten a penny, but this stuff is special. Opposition in "changing policy after a defeat shock". By this logic Jeremy Corbyn broke promises Ed Milliband made.. And as ever Labour's grassroots support for a second referendum is elided to "Starmer".

Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By mattomac
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:30 pm And here's another. It's not interesting, no. He said when conditions allow- which so far as it means anything means within fiscal rules. With bonus Tony Benn quote BTL. Doubtless someone was telling Attlee this when he supported rearmament.

Ironically it’s the same position he took on the green bill.
By Tubby Isaacs
Those are the "Wall of Gammon" meme put together of angry Kippers from the Question Time audience, I think. I think Labour's probably resigned to Reform getting their votes.

Anyway, I thought the mistake of 2019 was that "Starmer" made the party disrespect Northern Brexit voters. But it's wrong for them to go after... Northern Brexit voters now, is it?
By Tubby Isaacs
Good post here on the "£46bn black hole" Labour attack. I didn't really get why Labour was spending so much time on it, but it's a very good attack.

Of course, Hunt probably didn't mean this- probably meant raise other taxes instead, and there are certainly political arguments for that. But he didn't say that. He just wanted credit for his plan to abolish NI without spellig out the trade off. And if you do that, people are entitled to bring it up. Until you reply with your answer (probably that income tax has to go up by the amout NI is cut). Then the Opposition have you on "smoke and mirrors, give with one hand, take with the other".

long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]