:laughing: 100 %
By RedSparrows
The absolute lack of understanding, and brazeness with which it's displayed, and the attendant lack of recognition of said absence, is another great example of the conceit that so much public discourse is crushed by. There's a sense on the part of so much broadcast journalism idiocy (and beyond) that industrial action (or, I dunno, anything non-Tory) is somehow aberrant and to be shouted down.

Then one of them will wrap a 'free speech' flag around their cock and everyone will cheer.
Arrowhead liked this
By soulboy
"Nine, sorry NINE, men to change a plug socket" will be the new Winterval.

Revealed: The 'Spanish practices' 25 Labour MPs took to picket lines to defend - including 'sending NINE men to change a plug socket' and giving drivers 12 minutes' pay for one-minute walk - as Boris vows to 'stay the course' against unions

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lines.html

However
A rail insider told The Telegraph: 'We can't roster individuals. Let's imagine you want to change a single socket to a double in your kitchen. Potentially you'd need an electrician, a tiler and a plumber as your dishwasher waste pipe will need adjusting too.

'Alternatively, you could find a competent odd-jobber to do the whole task. In Network Rail we can't roster individuals, only teams and we can't multi-skill those teams so we'd need to send a team of three electricians, three tilers and three plumbers – nine people to do a job one person could do.

'Eighty per cent of the most common infrastructure faults could be fixed by small, multi-skilled teams.'
By Youngian
Lynch is there to talk about one subject which he knows an awful lot about while his interviewers have managed to learn fuck all. Its been a delight to watch but he’s going to be a hot guest pundit now giving his insights into macro-economics, electoral strategies Labour should be following and international relations. I’ll still take him over Owen Jones.
Last edited by Youngian on Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattomac liked this
By mattomac
soulboy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:23 pm "Nine, sorry NINE, men to change a plug socket" will be the new Winterval.

Revealed: The 'Spanish practices' 25 Labour MPs took to picket lines to defend - including 'sending NINE men to change a plug socket' and giving drivers 12 minutes' pay for one-minute walk - as Boris vows to 'stay the course' against unions

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lines.html

However
A rail insider told The Telegraph: 'We can't roster individuals. Let's imagine you want to change a single socket to a double in your kitchen. Potentially you'd need an electrician, a tiler and a plumber as your dishwasher waste pipe will need adjusting too.

'Alternatively, you could find a competent odd-jobber to do the whole task. In Network Rail we can't roster individuals, only teams and we can't multi-skill those teams so we'd need to send a team of three electricians, three tilers and three plumbers – nine people to do a job one person could do.

'Eighty per cent of the most common infrastructure faults could be fixed by small, multi-skilled teams.'
“Insider made up bullshit”
Boiler, Andy McDandy liked this
By Andy McDandy
I know people who have to break down their work time into units, which are then billed to different places. The shortest slice of an hour they can assign to anything is 12 minutes - 20% of an hour. Hence any short break or journey gets put in at 12 minutes because woe betide anyone who overbills a client.

As for some of the other claims, there looks like a lot of creativity going on, such as in one instance "not being allowed to work 500 yards away". Why so specific? Unless this is to do with perhaps line of sight, or communication ranges (in both cases, especially underground), or maybe the point 500 yards away is really dangerous.

Funnily enough, nobody's talking about picking up turds from the trackside. All in a day's work for the train workers.
By Boiler
Andy McDandy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:58 pm Funnily enough, nobody's talking about picking up turds from the trackside. All in a day's work for the train workers.
For the most part, that's a thing of the past as modern trains have retention toilets now, the tanks of which are emptied when the train goes into a depot.

There is an exemption for "heritage" rolling stock (the D2 waste exemption) but I can see NR wanting to clamp down on that before long - some heritage stock (the sort you see mostly behind steam-hauled excursions) has already been converted to retain waste; it is not a minor job to do this.
By MisterMuncher
I wonder how cheap that competent odd-jobber will seem relative to actual qualified tradesmen when there's a train on its roof, burning...

The usual contemptuous, patronising shitbaggery for any job accomplished by people in jeans rather than suits. "How hard can it be when they can do it?"
By Malcolm Armsteen
MisterMuncher wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:36 pm I wonder how cheap that competent odd-jobber will seem relative to actual qualified tradesmen when there's a train on its roof, burning...

The usual contemptuous, patronising shitbaggery for any job accomplished by people in jeans rather than suits. "How hard can it be when they can do it?"
This is 100% true.

When I was teaching a parent asked me if I was so clever, why wasn't I rich...?

It's the only measure they have. And in a society where you can get to be a millionaire selling insurance rather than producing actual goods...
By Andy McDandy
MisterMuncher wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:36 pm I wonder how cheap that competent odd-jobber will seem relative to actual qualified tradesmen when there's a train on its roof, burning...

And of course, its close cousins "women's work" and "pen pushing" (which never seems to extend to journalists watching TV or skimming twitter for something to pad out and elevate into a story, oh sorry, I meant newshounds racing to uncover the truth).

One wonders what in their eyes constitutes a proper job.
By Dalem Lake
Boiler wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:11 pm Incidentally, Mr. Lynch is on Question Time tomorrow, along with Rachel Maclean MP, Nick Thomas-Symonds MP, Anne Boden MBE and Ben Habib.
Maclean is the one who suggested that those who were struggling with the cost of living could simply get a better paid job. Must be scraping the barrel at Tory HQ if they're going to let her on, though given the performance of some of them I can see why.
By Samanfur
Andy McDandy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:19 amAnd of course, its close cousins "women's work" and "pen pushing" (which never seems to extend to journalists watching TV or skimming twitter for something to pad out and elevate into a story, oh sorry, I meant newshounds racing to uncover the truth).

One wonders what in their eyes constitutes a proper job.
Ask five of them, and you'd get ten definitions. The only thing that they'll agree on is what it's not.
By Youngian
Clarke is right, they’ll be a strike wave and it’ll make the government look totally useless and no longer in control. Oh dear, how sad.
The main catalyst is inflation and I suspect labour shortages help as you can find yourself work while on strike. Who’s going to be the first politician to admit what needs to be done to halt inflation? Jacking up interest rates and possibly fixing the exchange rate. The ECB will help shore up Sterling if you ask them nicely.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]