By Crabcakes
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:50 pm I was thinking Corbiyn might this time. Then again, "Independent" might help him hide some of the crank nonsense better than if he was in a party with a whole bunch of other people who keep banging on about "NATO sabre rattling" or whatever. He can be Jez the nice chap who just talks about free stuff vaguely paid for by someone else.
If someone does it all for him and funds it, possibly. If he has to do anything, no way. Plus he’ll check the polling to see if there’s any chance he’ll lose - and the slightest whiff of a knock to the ego and he’ll either retire or ‘nobly step aside so as not to hand a seat to the Tories despite the Labour party’s behaviour’ (or some such nonsense)

He’s had 70-odd years of drifting and grifting. It’d be quite the turnaround now if he put his money where his mouth is and risk taking an L.
By Tubby Isaacs
I think he'll do it. There's not all that much work to do, he can just phone it in, while being a bit more careful than before about who he associates with. Labour will probably play him really badly. There's a big chunk of people who love for voting for the underdog, don't support the main parties, blah.
By mattomac
It’s a weird one, because anyone who campaigns for him can effectively be removed from the party, there desperate Labour don’t move on it and leave it too late.

You might say what’s the big deal, but it cuts their numbers down fewer, and you know what twitter is like, no one will be able to hide.

As for this I get my flu jab done at Lloyd’s Pharmacy every year.
By Youngian
Portillo does have views formed in his own head rather than a sock puppet for the Murdoch mind hive.
The loon wing of the Lib Dems pop up on GBNews in the form of Lembit Opik (anti vaxer) and Ufologist Norman Baker. They’re at least entertaining and preferable to another frequent LD guest Vince Cable who has a new set of fag packet ideas every month.
By Malcolm Armsteen
>ahem<

An historical reference, m'lud.

In the 19th century your local rat-catcher had a sideline in ratting contests. He'd capture the rats and then either organise or supply competitions in which people tested their terriers against gangs of rats in a 'rat-pit'. The dog that killed the largest number of rats in a given time won, and many bets were laid. The rats were transported in a sack, and it's fair to say they were keen to regain their liberty as free rodents. Aggression ensued.

See 'London Labour and the London Poor' chapter on Jack Black The Rat Catcher to Queen Victoria - Henry Mayhew. Well worth a read.
Among the men, rat-killing is a favourite sport. They will enter an old stable, fasten the door and then turn out the rats. Or they will find out some unfrequented yard, and at night time build up a pit with apple-case boards, and lighting up their lamps, enjoy the sport.
Mayhew, Henry. London Labour and the London Poor: Selection (Classics) (p. 22). Penguin Books Ltd. Kindle Edition.
Abernathy liked this
By Andy McDandy
Seems to be a bit of a red flag, when an MP goes from "the member for [constituency]" to seeing themselves as a brand. When they start to believe their own bullshit, basically.
Arrowhead, mattomac liked this
By MisterMuncher
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:07 pm >ahem<

An historical reference, m'lud.

In the 19th century your local rat-catcher had a sideline in ratting contests. He'd capture the rats and then either organise or supply competitions in which people tested their terriers against gangs of rats in a 'rat-pit'. The dog that killed the largest number of rats in a given time won, and many bets were laid. The rats were transported in a sack, and it's fair to say they were keen to regain their liberty as free rodents. Aggression ensued.

See 'London Labour and the London Poor' chapter on Jack Black The Rat Catcher to Queen Victoria - Henry Mayhew. Well worth a read.
Among the men, rat-killing is a favourite sport. They will enter an old stable, fasten the door and then turn out the rats. Or they will find out some unfrequented yard, and at night time build up a pit with apple-case boards, and lighting up their lamps, enjoy the sport.
Mayhew, Henry. London Labour and the London Poor: Selection (Classics) (p. 22). Penguin Books Ltd. Kindle Edition.
Gets a nod in Sir Terry's "The Amazing Maurice" too. A useful book for children, teaching them that most, if not all the world's seeming cruelties don't arise from nature or chance, but from people who are pure cunts.
By Malcolm Armsteen
There's an excellent TV documentary - years old - by Jonathan Miller, and I used to use it when teaching Victorian London. There's an associated book.

The kids' favourite was the woman who made a living by collecting dog shit - the white was the best - to sell to the tanners.

The trouble is that the present Tory party think it's an instruction manual.
Youngian, davidjay liked this
By Malcolm Armsteen
Youngian wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:32 pm Jonathan Miller can talk to anyone, genuinely engaged and never talks down or over them. Be it tramps or lords although it isn’t long before he’d show his contempt for a lord. Which makes you like him even more.
He died in 2019, sadly.
By davidjay
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:24 pm There's an excellent TV documentary - years old - by Jonathan Miller, and I used to use it when teaching Victorian London. There's an associated book.

The kids' favourite was the woman who made a living by collecting dog shit - the white was the best - to sell to the tanners.

The trouble is that the present Tory party think it's an instruction manual.
Never done me no harm
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]