:laughing: 100 %
By Oboogie
Re "Keith" and "Kid Starver" it may be, but it's certainly not new. It's part of a very old tradition of political nicknames, many of which weren't witty or clever either (see the link for a list). I don't really see how it's different to "Magic Grandpa", "Hamface", "Milk Snatcher" etc. I expect someone can explain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_n ... ed_Kingdom
By Abernathy
Possibly that nicknames like "Grocer Heath", "Milk Snatcher", "Bambi", "Call Me Dave" etc were more or less universally used and understood nicknames, whereas "Kid Starver", "Keef", and so on are very narrow, factionally devised nicknames reflective only of s tiny spectrum of generally marginalised opinion within the Labour Party.
Yug, Malcolm Armsteen liked this
By Oboogie
Abernathy wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:39 am Possibly that nicknames like "Grocer Heath", "Milk Snatcher", "Bambi", "Call Me Dave" etc were more or less universally used and understood nicknames, whereas "Kid Starver", "Keef", and so on are very narrow, factionally devised nicknames reflective only of s tiny spectrum of generally marginalised opinion within the Labour Party.
"Universally used"? Really? So Tories universally called Thatcher "Milk Snatcher" and Cameron "Hamface"?
For that matter, how many Corbynistas embraced the term "Magic Grandpa"? None of these names are complimentary and, in my experience, are used exclusively by their opponents, just as "Kid Starver" and "Keith" are used by his.
By Malcolm Armsteen
Oboogie wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:31 am
Abernathy wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:06 am "More or less universally used" was what I actually said.
You did. But I think these names are are only used by opponents of the politicians concerned, they are intended as insults after all.
Just so. Can anyone think of approving nicknames given by friends to politicians?
By Oboogie
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:08 pm
Oboogie wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:31 am
Abernathy wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:06 am "More or less universally used" was what I actually said.
You did. But I think these names are are only used by opponents of the politicians concerned, they are intended as insults after all.
Just so. Can anyone think of approving nicknames given by friends to politicians?
"Uncle" Jim Callaghan
and "The Iron Lady" for Thatcher, though admittedly that started life as a Russian insult.
By Andy McDandy
Norman Tebbit was apparently rather pleased with being the Chingford Skinhead/Polecat. He said that when he ran into a group of football hooligans and they started congratulating him, it was oddly satisfying.

As I recall, Supermac was meant as a joke, the idea being that Macmillan only thought he could solve everything. Turned out he loved it.

Just like Spitting Image puppets, many an MP has taken a nickname, insulting or not, as a sign they've impacted on the popular consciousness. Which is normally a good thing.
By Oboogie
Can't believe I forgot Dennis Skinner "The Beast of Bolsover", he definitely liked that one.

Re "Uncle Jim" Callaghan: right after I posted that it occurred to me that's probably an "Uncle Joe" reference and intended as an insult. I'm too young to remember him well (I was only 11 when he became PM) but, if he was compared to Stalin, that's absurd.
By Boiler
"Sunny Jim" was a popular nickname at the time and not just for Jim Callaghan - I can certainly remember being called "Sunny Jim" by my mother. Was it perhaps a radio or comic character, even an advertising phrase?

Edit; Google reveals "Sunny Jim" was a cartoon character created to promote "Force" breakfast cereal flakes.
By Spoonman
Boiler wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:45 pm Edit; Google reveals "Sunny Jim" was a cartoon character created to promote "Force" breakfast cereal flakes.
Over on this side of the Irish Sea, mentioning "Sunny Jim" is likely to make people think you're talking about a popular brand of firelighters...
https://shs-group.co.uk/portfolio/sunny-jim

...one thing I learned when I was young was to always put any boxes of Sunny Jim's into its own bag separate from other groceries, unless you wanted your fruit and veg to taste like paraffin!
By Andy McDandy
It's called a queue, and was made by twisting a soldier's hair and soaking it in flour paste. When it dried, you had a stiff mass of hair that pulled the facial muscles tight into a "soldierly" expression. Along with the stock (a rigid leather collar that forced your head upright) these were army uniform innovations from the Napoleonic era, widely hated by the rank and file, but loved by officers who despised their own troops and didn't have to wear them.

Both had major H&S risks. Rats would nibble the queue as soldiers slept, while the stocks caused abrasions and cuts that could get infected. Both were typically discarded with enthusiasm on campaign. The things you learn from Sharpe books, eh?

But yeah, looks like a massive cock, ho ho.
By Abernathy
https://www.gbnews.com/politics/jeremy- ... dependence

Jeremy Corbyn backs IndyRef2 and admits UK could already have been split up if he was PM

Is it actually possible for Corbyn to fuck over Labour's chances of government retrospectively ?

Cunt's doing his level best.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]