:laughing: 100 %
kettle wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:05 pm The problem is of course that the left is far more critical of racism in its own camp than it is elsewhere, and of course the media holds a double standard which we play into. This leads to centrists tying themselves in knots trying to say "racism is bad, but racists need to be given a platform for their legitimate concerns", which ends up pleasing nobody.
It is? Usually many on the left will happily ignore racism in their own ranks.
By kettle
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:43 pm
kettle wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:05 pm The problem is of course that the left is far more critical of racism in its own camp than it is elsewhere
Is it? I had noted the exact opposite.

See also: misogyny.
I suppose this came to mind today after seeing this on Twitter:

This was retweeted with the comment "Spot on" by former Conservative and ChUK MP Anna Soubry

And I just feel like I'm losing my mind. An op-ed in a major broadsheet claiming we "pander" to a profoundly victimised ethnic and cultural minority group in this country, and there's no reaction from anyone. The rest of the media doesn't say "hold on that's not acceptable". A former MP bigs it up (one who is ostensibly more liberal than most conservatives) and there's no reaction, no response, no consequence. Just another racist grenade thrown over the trench.

I appreciate comments by a political party/MP are separate from comments made by a newspaper, but I also think it's naive to ignore the ever-closer ties and revolving doors between the media and politics.
By Malcolm Armsteen
You might object to Soubry's views, but I don't think this is terribly inflammatory, in fact she condemns such.
As part of my attempt to have an informed and honest debate about what is a problem across our country, I think it is important to note that there is a distinction between Romany gypsies who have for centuries lived their traditional life mainly in the countryside and travellers of Irish descent who tend to lead their lives in more urban and suburban areas.
I also want to be equally honest in taking considerable exception to the stereotyping of any community. Frankly, some of the calls to my office and emails have verged on blatantly offensive nonsense about travellers. It is equally unacceptable for community leaders and people with a political interest to stoke fears and prejudices for their own advantage.
The question is; can we reconcile a travellers lifestyle in today’s Britain? Providing legal traveller sites with washing and lavatory facilities is part of the answer but in order to ensure we can accommodate travellers in that way, we undoubtedly need tougher sanctions to protect the rights of landowners. I welcome your views on this issue.
@kettle - we ask people to introduce themselves for a reason. I would like to know more about you before I answer further. Look in the Hello thread and use the template.
Oboogie liked this
By Malcolm Armsteen
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:26 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:21 pm So you're claiming that Soubry and Parris are leftists? If not, then I have no idea what your point is.
Double standards, I presume.

This won't register as any sort of "race storm".
You can't claim 'double standards' and 'she said that before'...
By Tubby Isaacs
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:28 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:26 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:21 pm So you're claiming that Soubry and Parris are leftists? If not, then I have no idea what your point is.
Double standards, I presume.

This won't register as any sort of "race storm".
You can't claim 'double standards' and 'she said that before'...
Not double standards on Anna Soubry. Double standards on "race storms" involving the right and the left.
By Andy McDandy
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:18 pm Asa Winstanley stands with David Miller.
8 words to strike fear into any politician.

Who are you and why should I care?

On travellers, it's been recently revealed that some holiday companies have a policy of not allowing bookings made by "traveller names", or charging them an increased rate. Names such as Ryan, Rourke, Leigh, and more.

Now imagine that those companies had such a policy about names such as Hussein, Singh, Meyer, Toussaint, Poliakov, or even Evans or McDonald.

Anti-traveller racism is alive and well, and jokes about "pikeys" aside, needs to be addressed. Niemoller and all that.
kettle wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:16 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:43 pm
kettle wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:05 pm The problem is of course that the left is far more critical of racism in its own camp than it is elsewhere
Is it? I had noted the exact opposite.

See also: misogyny.
I suppose this came to mind today after seeing this on Twitter:

This was retweeted with the comment "Spot on" by former Conservative and ChUK MP Anna Soubry

And I just feel like I'm losing my mind. An op-ed in a major broadsheet claiming we "pander" to a profoundly victimised ethnic and cultural minority group in this country, and there's no reaction from anyone. The rest of the media doesn't say "hold on that's not acceptable". A former MP bigs it up (one who is ostensibly more liberal than most conservatives) and there's no reaction, no response, no consequence. Just another racist grenade thrown over the trench.

I appreciate comments by a political party/MP are separate from comments made by a newspaper, but I also think it's naive to ignore the ever-closer ties and revolving doors between the media and politics.
I've seen plently of people condemn this online

This is just a small sample BTW.
By Youngian
Parris has spent his life trying to rise above his idiot Tory DNA since World in Action invited him to live on the dole for a fortnight (he couldn’t). But he can still fall back in the gutter.

The idea Romanies are just itinerant vagrants (hence insults like tinkers, knackers and pikeys) was a cliche when my gran said it (born 1899).
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]