:sunglasses: 41.7 % :pray: 16.7 % :laughing: 16.7 % :cry: 8.3 % :poo: 16.7 %
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:47 pm I'm still waiting to find out who they are.
Check out Baron Maurice Glasman who is the intellectual force behind the Blue Labour project. MPs who’ve flirted with the ideas would include John Cruddas (a bright man with better ideas of his own). Gloria DiPiero (now a KGB News gobshite) and Caroline Flint (a back of fag packet economic protectionist and anti immigrant shit stirrer). Blue Labour is based on a lazy and well established argument that you have a path to power by welding social conservatism to left leaning economics and strong welfarism. Peronism basically but the world doesn’t neatly line up this way.
Theresa May’s architect of disaster Nick Timothy is trying to tread a similar path for the Tories and has laughably rebranded himself as a Christian Democrat. He has more in common with Orban than Merkel.
Anyone else noticed the BlueKIP headbangers are describing themselves as ‘centre right?’ Including Farage and Andrea Jenkyn.
Youngian wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:54 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:47 pm I'm still waiting to find out who they are.
Check out Baron Maurice Glasman who is the intellectual force behind the Blue Labour project. MPs who’ve flirted with the ideas would include John Cruddas (a bright man with better ideas of his own). Gloria DiPiero (now a KGB News gobshite) and Caroline Flint (a back of fag packet economic protectionist and anti immigrant shit stirrer). Blue Labour is based on a lazy and well established argument that you have a path to power by welding social conservatism to left leaning economics and strong welfarism. Peronism basically but the world doesn’t neatly line up this way.
Isn't that basically the Old Labour that many of the latter-day BNP-lite party candidates bemoan the death of?
Isn't that basically the Old Labour that many of the latter-day BNP-lite party candidates bemoan the death of?

Their conservatism was more personal but not hills they came into politics to die on by a long way. Jim Callaghan let people know he was a traditional kind of guy out of step with the new fangled permissive society. But he wasn’t showboating and concocting ridiculous ministerial edicts to clamp down on the Sex Pistols and Play for Today. Even Thatcher dropped Mary Whitehouse when she started getting up the noses of tit ogling Sun readers and the paper’s owner.
When asked what his greatest achievement was in his distinguished political career, Lord Callaghan cited his spell as a junior transport minister under Atlee; ‘I introduced cats’ eyes.’ Proper grownup politics.
In fairness, I will admit that 'Blue Labour types' was spawned out of a certain intellectual imprecision. I was thinking, partly, of Paul Embery, but am happy to admit that he is but one man. A spectacularly unpleasant man, but still...

Talk of 'social conservatism' does tend to give me hives. I don't have a minority status to inform that beyond being Jewish - and we're not a minority group the 'traditional values' types tend to be placing in the crosshairs these days (honestly, I could get to missing the days when we were regarded as a lurking communist menace, although that's rather self-indulgent; I would not have enjoyed the attendant prejudice, or its contemporaneous respectability) - but so far as I can tell Labour's current strategy around this stuff is a big lacking. We shall see.
Philip Marlow wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:19 pm but so far as I can tell Labour's current strategy around this stuff is a big lacking. We shall see.
Surprised as Mark Lawson for saying this but they could do worse than take a lead from err Grant Shapps. During his three day leadership campaign.
That does sound remarkably unToryesque in its sensible approach

Tories used to have a socially liberal contingent running alongside its raison d’etre of economic liberalism. And today’s culture warriors like 30p Lee aren’t really embedded in social conservatism, just nasty shit stirring arseholes (which Shapps is alluding to).
Youngian wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:12 pm

Tories used to have a socially liberal contingent running alongside its raison d’etre of economic liberalism. And today’s culture warriors like 30p Lee aren’t really embedded in social conservatism, just nasty shit stirring arseholes (which Shapps is alluding to).
They're not Conservatives at all. They don't want to conserve anything.
davidjay wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:20 pm
Youngian wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:12 pm

They're not Conservatives at all. They don't want to conserve anything.
Except their own superior positions and grip on power.
Rupa Huq again.

It's an office block, not a housing development. Developers propose stuff, councils evaluate, negotiate s 106 and reject if they're not happy. There may or may have been stuff wrong with this development, but I can think of worse things than offices on the site of a cash and carry in Zone 2, by a tube and train station.

Last time I went to a bowling alley, the staff were nicely spoken teenagers. This was in London, and I recall us clientele on a work do were kept in order easily enough. As far as I know, none of us ran amok on the way to the bus stop.

But I don't know about York, Are they expecting The Wild Bunch to show up?
The Weeping Angel liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]