:sunglasses: 42.9 % :laughing: 57.1 %
By Andy McDandy
https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/

In which he hates young people, resents his education, and whines about vaguely naughty jokes on the radio. And gets decidedly personal about Tony Blair.
By Youngian
For, as somebody once said, the main purpose of a university education is to teach a man to disagree with his father, and our universities have certainly achieved that successfully.

Somebody?
What would be worse for Peter, his kids coming home from uni as ranting Trots or ‘but on the other hand, dad’ complete with stats?
You may grow out of the former as Peter did and replace it with another ideology. The latter is a gift for life for those who understood the purpose of higher education.
By Rosvanian
Sad to say that having been a robust advocate for higher education since my own university days 40 years ago ( first in my family blah, blah), my enthusiasm had gradually ebbed away following an eye opening period working in the sector but mainly my daughter's woeful experience of university during the pandemic. Frankly, it was a disgrace.
By Crabcakes
Killer Whale wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:08 am Does anyone else get the impression that we are being set up for a huge reduction in university provision so that the state can once more afford fully to subsidise middle class higher education?
I suspect it's much more a double-edged sword shafting: reduce university provision, increase cost of attendance.

Bingo: university becomes exclusive to the children of the upper class/rich people again (bar a few token bursaries). Mid-level wages can be pushed down to reflect the academic 'lackings' of the workforce. Senior level jobs can be dished out to the chums you make while at uni/family friends, and wages can be pushed up to reflect elite status.

I suspect Hitch would be well up for that - nothing he likes more than making himself (falsely) appear more intelligent by making life more difficult for others.
By Bones McCoy
Crabcakes wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:47 pm
Killer Whale wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:08 am Does anyone else get the impression that we are being set up for a huge reduction in university provision so that the state can once more afford fully to subsidise middle class higher education?
I suspect it's much more a double-edged sword shafting: reduce university provision, increase cost of attendance.

Bingo: university becomes exclusive to the children of the upper class/rich people again (bar a few token bursaries). Mid-level wages can be pushed down to reflect the academic 'lackings' of the workforce. Senior level jobs can be dished out to the chums you make while at uni/family friends, and wages can be pushed up to reflect elite status.

I suspect Hitch would be well up for that - nothing he likes more than making himself (falsely) appear more intelligent by making life more difficult for others.
Sounds like neo-feudalism.
By Andy McDandy
https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/

This week, why some shoplifting presages the coming apocalypse, Peter gets upset that he can't do the maths questions on University Challenge, did homophobia cause some murders (no), and how he'd have done Oppenheimer better than Chris Nolan. Unintentional comedy.
By Youngian
Maths and science questions are political correct, how does that work?

This happened did it? Perhaps it’s just some people who recognised Hitchens so tried to punk him.
Twice in recent weeks I have been used as cover by obvious shoplifters at Marks and Spencers. The thieves have suddenly fallen into step with me as I have walked out of the store with my legal purchases. The alarm buzzers sound, but shop staff cannot be sure which person has set them off.
By Andy McDandy
I think he means that the questions aren't all about his chosen fields of study: reciting poems by rote, naming (by which we mean proper names, none of that Beijing or Mumbai nonsense) world cities, and colouring in countries on the map without going over the lines.

His utter snobbery over STEM is really pitiful.
By MisterMuncher
Also, without sounding too fucking big headed, I limped on as far as a chemistry and mathematics A-Levels (in 1999, so in Hitchensland probably less knowledge than he had in his primary 3 storytime) before not really pursuing science or mathematics in any academic fashion and can usually manage a decent hit-rate on UC STEM questions, so his contention that they aren't "general knowledge" is fucking shaky at best.
By Youngian
Would he rather have seen people in the 40s portrayed as modern liberal PC wokes?
I see the embarrassing BBC attempt to rewrite the history of World War Two ‘World on Fire’ is back for a second series. In this odd drama, British people are rather often portrayed as bigots of one kind or another.
By Bones McCoy
Youngian wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:36 pm Would he rather have seen people in the 40s portrayed as modern liberal PC wokes?
I see the embarrassing BBC attempt to rewrite the history of World War Two ‘World on Fire’ is back for a second series. In this odd drama, British people are rather often portrayed as bigots of one kind or another.
Back then we were all Antifa.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]