:sunglasses: 100 %
By Killer Whale
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ne-dorries
It’s only a few weeks since the newspaper splashed on Nadine Dorries’ claims that a shadowy confidant of Sunak had murdered his ex-girlfriend’s brother’s rabbit; coverage of the Covid inquiry has seemed largely motivated by keeping Boris Johnson out of it. For many Mail staffers, the urgent question is not whether the Tory right is remotely serious about the next election, but why the Mail has allowed itself to be the vessel for their furies.
By Abernathy
I've been reading the Mail's editorial today, so you don't have to. Nevertheless, it's worth a read, because

a. "Know thine enemy"

and

b. to have a bit of a laugh at the sheer delusional desperation of it, and more particularly, the phenomenal gullibility of the credulous saps that will read this crap and swallow every word of it.

Read on . . .
The coming months will concentrate the minds of voters as never before. In the long years between major, decisive elections, we may all ponder on wider and deeper aspects of life and politics.

Indeed, there is often not much more we can do because the opinion polls tell us there is little chance of change, and nowadays they are mostly right.

But every so often, most recently in 1964, 1979, 1997 and 2010, the country begins to think seriously about deep change. The existing Government struggles, whatever it does. The Opposition prospers, whatever it says. Much later, voters may regret having taken part in these sometimes illogical swings of opinion.

Conservative patriots concerned about maintaining a healthy economy and a free society must have regretted the advent of the Harold Wilson Labour government in 1964, which plunged the country into economic turmoil, failed to challenge union power and did grave damage to the education system and to policing, from which we still suffer.

Many may also wonder if they were mis-sold a moderate and responsible government in 1997, when what they got was a high-spending, highly radical Cabinet bent on constitutional revolution at home and war abroad.

Yet on both occasions Labour’s return to power was portrayed as inevitable. Interestingly, when the October 1964 election actually came round, Wilson only just managed to scrape a majority of four. Which goes to show that dedicated and well-aimed campaigning can affect what seems to be the inevitable.

How sensible it is, then, for Rishi Sunak to warn – in his exclusive interview with Glen Owen in today’s Mail on Sunday – that those who just want to let off some anti-government steam at the coming poll may end up presenting Downing Street to Sir Keir Starmer.

Sir Keir’s political DNA (and that of his party) inclines them to more and higher taxes, weakness on immigration, politically correct bossiness in all aspects of life and, if they feel strong enough, a desire to manoeuvre us back into the orbit of Brussels.

So in the months remaining to Mr Sunak before the election, he and his colleagues have an opportunity to work, inch by inch, against the widespread but in fact baseless belief that a Starmer government is inevitable.

Last week’s small but significant cut in National Insurance gave the Tories an instant bounce in the polls after a long period of flatlining or worse. Now his readiness to talk of further relaxation of the tax burden – particularly the punitive ‘higher rate’ which was originally aimed at the super-rich and now targets the middle classes – is an encouraging sign of an awakening will to win.

His pledge that, ‘This is the start of a journey. We will do more when we can because I want to cut taxes, reward hard work, grow the economy and do so in a way that is responsible’ is immensely valuable.

Those who might be tempted to think of deserting the Tories, by the populist charm of Nigel Farage, should bear in mind that Mr Farage and his friends in the Reform party have no chance of office, and can achieve nothing except a Labour victory.

Mr Farage, as he forces down the private parts of various creatures in I’m A Celebrity, can comfort himself as he does so by remembering the enormous fee he will pocket when it is all over.

There will be no such comfort for the people of this country while they undergo the ordeal of a Starmer government, which – if voters are fool enough to agree to such a thing – will last a great deal longer than the former Ukip leader’s culinary ordeal.
By Youngian
Where’s Dacre’s trade mark triumphalism? that characterised getting Brexit done and the new dawn for Britain he heralded under May, Johnson, Truss and err well maybe not Sunak who’s the end of the line. Nothing to show for 13 years. The rest of us are as sad as Dacre but at least we bare no responsibility for this tragedy.
By Watchman
Abernathy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:49 pm I've been reading the Mail's editorial today, so you don't have to. Nevertheless, it's worth a read, because

a. "Know thine enemy"

and

b. to have a bit of a laugh at the sheer delusional desperation of it, and more particularly, the phenomenal gullibility of the credulous saps that will read this crap and swallow every word of it.

Read on . . .

His pledge that, ‘This is the start of a journey. We will do more when we can because I want to cut taxes, reward hard work, grow the economy and do so in a way that is responsible’ is immensely valuable.
There’s that phrase that really pisses me off, “reward hard work”…..the only person who can reward your hard work is your employer, although this group of twats have a different interpretation to hard work than the rest of us
By Rosvanian
Youngian wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:17 pm Where’s Dacre’s trade mark triumphalism? that characterised getting Brexit done and the new dawn for Britain he heralded under May, Johnson, Truss and err well maybe not Sunak who’s the end of the line. Nothing to show for 13 years. The rest of us are as sad as Dacre but at least we bare no responsibility for this tragedy.
No triumphalism but my god, the arrogance, the sense of entitlement, the absolute, utter contempt for the wider public.
Spoonman liked this
By Andy McDandy
The tone reminds me of Stuart Maconie#s brilliant filleting of Enoch Powell's infamous speech. In two words he absolutely nailed the arrogance, the classical references, the faux-intellectualism, the essential sadness of a man addressing a half empty meeting room in Wolverhampton as if it were Gettysburg (or Nuremberg).

Pathetic hauteur.
Dalem Lake liked this
By MisterMuncher
I like to remember that where i live now was Powell's constituency when I was born and now, it's a solid Sinn Fein seat. Not out of any particular love of the Sinners, but because the rotten oul cunt would spin in his grave.
Malcolm Armsteen liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]