By Youngian
No idea if this Rolex watch controversy even exists. Its a peculiar and laboured take on ‘lefties envy success’ articles they’ve been running for 50 years.
Can I hear a smug dog whistle in the subtext? Towards Mail readers who’d rather save a spare £10K for a rainy day to buy a conservatory. Unlike vulgar plebs who flash the cash and can’t manage money.
JAN MOIR: I hate this sour resentment at working class women who dare to enjoy their success

Other people's wealth is a source of universal fascination — and sometimes envy.

Very often envy. Envy, envy, envy! Especially at this time of year.

Especially if that wealthy person is a woman who dares to express her good fortune via the designer semaphore of a nice watch or a good handbag or a pair of get-me shoes or some stonking diamonds.

Particularly if she comes from humble roots and has bloomed into wealth somewhere along the garden path of life.

So my sympathies this week to Education Secretary Gillian Keegan (pictured) who has had to defend herself for daring to wear a £10,000 Rolex. The watch was a gift from her husband, she had to explain. She will treasure it forever, she added, apologetically.

She has worked hard all her life, inherited nothing, made it on her own, come on guys, give me a break. But none of this was enough to placate the Left, who seemed to be suggesting Gillian should have done the decent thing and sold her watch to buy every schoolchild in Britain a new pencil and a Sherbet Dip Dab.

So awful, this seething contempt for the done-wells and better-offs. So embittering, this inability to let others enjoy their greater good fortune. This kind of sour resentment, which seems to be on the increase, does nobody any favours — on a national or personal level.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... ccess.html
By satnav
The real story behind the Rolex watch is that it was bought by Gillian Keegan's husband who seems to have made an awful lots of money out of government contracts. In the good old days people might regard a minister's spouse making money from government contracts as a shade corrupt but these days it is the new normal.
By Rosvanian
satnav wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:24 am The real story behind the Rolex watch is that it was bought by Gillian Keegan's husband who seems to have made an awful lots of money out of government contracts. In the good old days people might regard a minister's spouse making money from government contracts as a shade corrupt but these days it is the new normal.
It's the sheer brass neck of Moir and her like that boils my blood. The entire business model of the DM is to generate resentment yet here she is, accusing others of fostering resentment. I despise her on a cellular level.
Watchman, Youngian liked this
By Andy McDandy
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... n-lab.html

Jan figures that the Tories are going to get rinsed in the Covid enquiry. Better shelve it and move on then. No sense talking about upsetting things.

Deplorable.
Watchman liked this
By Abernathy
Andy McDandy wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:22 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... n-lab.html

Jan figures that the Tories are going to get rinsed in the Covid enquiry. Better shelve it and move on then. No sense talking about upsetting things.

Deplorable.
In one sense, she's right. The Covid-19 enquiry is going to confirm officially the grotesque corruption and incompetence at the heart of Johnson's government, Johnson himself, and of course Sunak in the way they ran this country during the pandemic that'll make the privileges committee report into Johnson read like Noddy's adventures in Toyland.

I'm all but certain it was a significant factor in Johnson's decision to bale out before the first batch of shit really hit the fan.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]