By Youngian
‘Distinct characters’ unaffected by the redundancies
The Daily Mail has announced plans to make some of its journalists’ jobs redundant, as the newspaper struggles with declining print readership and the increased cost of paper.
The newspaper’s editor, Ted Verity, said his plan would lead to staff working across the print Daily Mail, its sister title the Mail on Sunday and MailOnline.
Until very recently the three outlets have had distinct identities with different teams and little sharing of resources. In many cases journalists from the different outlets would be competing against each other for stories, despite all working for the same parent company.
Staff at the Mail on Sunday are expecting to bear most of the job losses. Verity said the weekend newspaper would retain its “distinct characters, columnists and senior staff” but hinted that more junior roles are at risk. https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... p-declines

Rising cost of paper sounds like a tall story but energy costs increasing and supply problems have made it so
Pulp friction: Why paper has become a huge headache for publishers https://pressgazette.co.uk/media-audien ... ces-risen/
By Andy McDandy
It's pretty clear many papers have staff just watching daytime TV and waiting for something to happen that can be written up and padded out with a few quotes from X (formerly known as Twitter). Most of the politics is press releases telling us what is due to happen later that day, or follow-ups to ongoing things invariably ending with "[public figure] was contacted for comment".

That last one seems to have gained a lot of traction in recent years - I guess the idea is to imply that the sleb in question is obviously bang to rights because why else would they be refusing to answer questions? And hey, we tried - see it says there that we tried to contact them.
By Watchman
Something I’ve noticed more recently is a writing style that resembles a cheap novel e.g. “the bespectacled senior servant, with neatly trimmed hair, and a comprehensive knowledge of orchids”
By Youngian
Watchman wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:01 pm Something I’ve noticed more recently is a writing style that resembles a cheap novel e.g. “the bespectacled senior servant, with neatly trimmed hair, and a comprehensive knowledge of orchids”
Like this odd first paragraph from the Indy. Are Marxist soft furnishings unchintzy? Or maybe Marxists all like hard chairs because Lenin did.
John McDonnell, the grandfatherly revolutionary with a taste in soft furnishings more chintz than Marx, is at his most soothing as he appeals for the rehabilitation of his old comrade Jeremy Corbyn.
By Andy McDandy
Stephen Fry has an anecdote about turning up to an interview in biker jacket, helmet and boots, and a rock band t-shirt underneath, then reading the finished article starting "Tweedy Stephen Fry...".
By Crabcakes
Watchman wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:01 pm Something I’ve noticed more recently is a writing style that resembles a cheap novel e.g. “the bespectacled senior servant, with neatly trimmed hair, and a comprehensive knowledge of orchids”
It’s all padding - the dead giveaway of a shit writer who doesn’t know the difference between writing about someone/thing and simply describing them/it. Bonus points for needlessly flowery language - and let me be clear I like flowery language when cleverly used or amusing, just not when it’s there purely to pump up the word count.
By Andy McDandy
From Robert Hutton's "Romps, Tots and Boffins - the Strange Language of News":
Good style precluides the repetition of a word in the same sentence, or ideally in the same paragraph. But sometimes there just isn't an obvious synonym. Luckily, journalists are kings of the 'elegant variation'. As in this gem:

"Clarke, known as 'two pizzas' because he once scoffed a pair of the tasty Italian meals in one sitting..."
Friday quiz time what do the following all mean?

The popular microblogging social network
The secretive Stalinist state
The windswept South Atlantic archipelago
The yellowy metal
The yellowy colour
By Bones McCoy
I'll give it a go:

The popular microblogging social network - That'll be Twitter or X
The secretive Stalinist state - "The Commie Terrorist Khan's" London (That's a guess).
The windswept South Atlantic archipelago - The Falkland Islands or perhaps South Georgia and the South Sandwich group.
The yellowy metal - Gold.
The yellowy colour - Old Gold, as worn by the Wolverhampton Wanderers.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]