:pray: 50 % :laughing: 25 % :cry: 12.5 % :🤗 12.5 %
By safe_timber_man
I'm disappointed in James O’Brien, to be honest. I'm not expecting him to throw his career away in protest and there's possibly some NDA's at play(?) but today he very clearly implied she's gone because of her listening figures. That just does not stack up and I can't help but think he's trying to gaslight his audience. It all seems very out of character. If you can't talk about it, fine, but don't do that, James. Can't quite work out what he meant when talking about respecting her right to not talk about it - from what I know about her, she absolutely would not choose to stay silent on this, especially considering the support she's getting.
kreuzberger liked this
By Yug
safe_timber_man wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:39 pm Very much looking forward to spending General Election night on Mailwatch - it's going to be our Super Bowl!
Nah mate. It'll be much more entertaining than that.

Hello. Nice to see you.
safe_timber_man liked this
By Abernathy
From the Mandrake column in this week’s New European :
Just before Christmas, LBC was celebrating Sangita Myska being named radio presenter of the year in the prestigious Asian Media Awards. The judges praised her for “reaching out to people of all backgrounds and cultures, helping to tackle misconceptions and ignorance on all sides… and bringing a balanced perspective to discussions.”

The popular presenter’s career at the station came to an abrupt end earlier this month after what had seemed a brief and relatively unremarkable exchange, on her final weekend show, with the Israeli government spokesman Avi Hyman. She put to him that Iran had stated that its drone attack on Israel had been a “retaliatory strike” after Israel had hit its consulate in Syria. Hyman responded that it was “an outrageous framing of the reality”, claiming that Iran’s property had not been recognised as a diplomatic mission. It had been extensively reported that it was and Sir Richard Dalton, a former British diplomat in Iran who had been on Myska’s show earlier, had not disputed that it was.

A fellow presenter at LBC tells me on condition of anonymity: “There is shock about what has happened, and the assumption is it was a consequence of the Hyman interview, and, if that is the case, then who is going to be next? Colleagues like James O’Brien have been much more critical of Israel over Gaza. Sangita had built up a real rapport with her listeners and was one of the few we have with an impeccable broadcasting pedigree, after 20 years at the BBC.”

Myska was pulling in an average of 500,000 listeners for her afternoon shows on Saturday and Sunday – up 34.4% since she took over the slots in September 2022 – and a Change.org petition calling for LBC to reinstate her has reached 20,000 signatures. Politicians such as John McDonnell, Dawn Butler and Meral Hussein-Ece have expressed dismay at her disappearance.

The hapless Ali Miraj, a former Tory activist with no journalistic background, was brought in to stand in for Myska, only to be bombarded with questions from listeners asking where she was. Two who managed to get on air to actually ask the question were hastily cut off.

LBC is owned by Global Media, where the founder and executive president is Ashley Tabor-King, who picked up a CBE in the New Year’s Honours.
By davidjay
kreuzberger wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:48 pm
Oboogie wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:41 pm Welcome back Safe Timber
Agreed!

OT, I remember LBC binning the execrable Maajid Nawaz for Covid denial and/or dangerous antivax moon-howling - also an editorial rather than ranting-influenced measure.
The difference was that he'd been going increasingly off his head for a long while.
Oboogie liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]