:pray: 16.7 % :laughing: 83.3 %
By Malcolm Armsteen
There is a fundamental fallacy in thinking of monolithic public opinions; they are a spectrum.

Theb Tories are following a 'wedge' strategy*. They know that opinions on the Stop The Boats issue are a spectrum. Their strategy is to cause opposition between those who support them (quite a large number) and those who oppose them (possible the majority). That will bolster, increase and solidify their support, possibly up to the magic 40%, whereas those strongly opposed would never support them anyway.

*copyright Lynton Crosby
Dalem Lake liked this
By Yug
Just to cap it off

The BBC has apologised for the failure to properly scrutinise claims made by Nadine Dorries on a radio show, capping a day of controversies for the corporation.

The broadcaster said in a statement on Friday that “there should have been more challenge” when the former culture secretary and Boris Johnson loyalist made allegations about Sue Gray on Radio 4’s World at One.

Dorries had suggested that the report by the former civil servant on lockdown-breaking parties in Downing Street during Johnson’s premiership was discredited after her decision to become chief of staff for the Labour leader, Keir Starmer.

She described the ex-mandarin as a “personal friend of Keir Starmer, someone who has been in discussion over who knows what period of time … about taking the role as his chief of staff, with the primary objective of taking down the Tory government”.

The former cabinet minister went on to allege that there may have been political motivations in the findings Gray reached over the lockdown investigation.

The comments went unchallenged, but Starmer clarified in an interview with LBC that Gray was “not a friend” and is “not in the same social circles” as him.

In a statement on Friday, the BBC said it had received complaints from listeners who felt Dorries was allowed to make “inaccurate and biased” claims...

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-sue-gray
Hard not to believe they're not in the Tories' pocket when you hear they're giving Dorries' lies a free pass.
By Oboogie
kreuzberger wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:34 pm Peoples anger is understandable, as is their current inability to separate BBC, the institution from BBC, the Tory mouthpiece. That will subside in the coming days but Richard Sharp’s gig, which was already increasingly untenable, needs to be torched.

A fish rots etc etc.
I doubt the Tories are about to sack Sharp, why would they? They've only just appointed him and he's off to a flying start fulfilling his task. They'll more likely give him a knighthood.
By The Weeping Angel
Look at Twitter, read the Tweets about Lineker.
Now count the Tweets attacking the BBC.
Then count the Tweets attacking the Tories for their assault on the BBC - if you can find any.
I see they've now got 'Jimmy Saville' trending along with attacks on the BBC and Starmer for 'letting Saville get away with it'.
The Tories think they've won, it remains to be seen if they are right.

Yeah they think they've won. The Tories think a lot of thing it doesn't mean that they're right.
Last edited by The Weeping Angel on Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By The Weeping Angel
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:10 pm I agree with that. As I understand it, the charter is in place to 2027, and they have to win a general election to do anything directly. Of course they have their proxies there but they’re more under scrutiny than ever.

Btw,TWA, can you cut off some of the quote text in that last post? Cheers
I've taken care of that particular problem Tubbs.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
By Oboogie
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:15 pm Tim Davie now making a distinction between people who appear on programmes, like Brady and Sugar. And people seen as something called “pan BBC” people, like Lineker.

I’m not sure this is going to hold, you know.
WTF, according to Davie, is a "pan BBC" person? What is MOTD if not a programme - just like the ones Brady and Sugar appear on?
Dalem Lake liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
Oboogie wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:48 pm e this is going to hold, you know.
WTF, according to Davie, is a "pan BBC" person? What is MOTD if not a programme - just like the ones Brady and Sugar appear on?
[/quote]

Well indeed. He doesn't seem that confident himself.
Tim Davie says he is listening to feedback about how editorial guidelines are applied to different BBC staff.

The director-general told the BBC there are questions about how they apply to freelancers within the organisation.

When asked if he would remove other presenters such as Lord Sugar, Chris Packham or Karren Brady who also give their opinions on social media, he said: “the current guidelines as they exist today... do draw distinction between those people who are seen as pan-BBC figures... that are different to those appearing on programmes. We can debate that.”

“I am in listening mode. I want to make sure that going forward we have a workable solution.”
Sounds like he's admitting the guidelines aren't very clear, and that he expects to get Lineker to sign something "going forward" that is much clearer about what he's not allowed to do.

I'm not sure that would be a particularly acceptable solution, Mr Davie may not be as clever as he thinks he is.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]