:pray: 16.7 % :laughing: 83.3 %
By Boiler
Well, this had to be added, so...

In just over 18 months time the BBC will be 100 years old: how long will it last after that?

My own view has already been picked up on in other quarters: if the country ever gets FTTP* to every household I can see a big drive to turn off all the TV transmitters on some financial/'green' codswallop and drive everyone to TV over IP - this in turn will push the BBC into being funded on a subscription model. I can imagine radio remaining free and "over the air" as it has a role to play during difficult times such as flooding or very poor weather - plus of course, reception in motor vehicles.

This of course assumes that by then, Johnson and his merry band, aided by Dacre at OFCOM, haven't just shut it down.

*Fibre To The Premises.
By Bones McCoy
I'm inclined to think the tories will treat the BBC as they do the NHS.

As a student firebrand I was convinced that Thatcher would close down the NHS to save money.
Now I see that the NHS is a useful tax sink, into which ministers, families and donors can dip at will.
Why would anybody abolish such a convenient income stream?

Returning to the BBC, the deal s somewhat different.
The BBC serves as a useful publicity sink, into which ministers, media allies, suitably aligned edgelords and disruptors can dip at will.
The government needs only to maintain control through suitable senior appointments and threat levels.
Why would anybody abolish such a convenient publicity stream?
Nigredo, zuriblue liked this
By Bones McCoy
Boiler wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:02 am Well, this had to be added, so...

In just over 18 months time the BBC will be 100 years old: how long will it last after that?

My own view has already been picked up on in other quarters: if the country ever gets FTTP* to every household I can see a big drive to turn off all the TV transmitters on some financial/'green' codswallop and drive everyone to TV over IP - this in turn will push the BBC into being funded on a subscription model. I can imagine radio remaining free and "over the air" as it has a role to play during difficult times such as flooding or very poor weather - plus of course, reception in motor vehicles.

This of course assumes that by then, Johnson and his merry band, aided by Dacre at OFCOM, haven't just shut it down.

*Fibre To The Premises.
<Shakes fist at sky, and gives it the full Shatner treatment> THAAAA-THCER!!

How Thatcher killed the UK's superfast broadband before it even existed

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/world ... 90-1224784
By MisterMuncher
My struggle (ha!) with Grimes is that he's so often completely wrong about everything in spectacularly obvious ways that I can't work out if he's entirely real, and if he genuinely is that light up top, engaging with him starts to feel like bullying.
Youngian, Oboogie liked this
By The Red Arrow
I can dig that, Munchie. When we were kids, my smaller brother and I were often put into boxing gloves and ordered to duke it out for the amusement of our elders. My brother would gleefully windmill blows around my guarded head as he laughed fit to burst. This would go on for some minutes until I'd had enough and simply twatted him arse over head with one punch before wandering off in search of a less irritating and guilt-laden activity. That's how I'd feel about taking Grimes out (intellectually, of course).
By Bones McCoy
MisterMuncher wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:18 pm My struggle (ha!) with Grimes is that he's so often completely wrong about everything in spectacularly obvious ways that I can't work out if he's entirely real, and if he genuinely is that light up top, engaging with him starts to feel like bullying.
You only have to look at a couple of Gov't ministers to see that a thriving intellect is no asset in Politics.
By Youngian
MisterMuncher wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:18 pm My struggle (ha!) with Grimes is that he's so often completely wrong about everything in spectacularly obvious ways that I can't work out if he's entirely real, and if he genuinely is that light up top, engaging with him starts to feel like bullying.
On the whole Brexiters are keeping their traps shut about stuff they were wrong about (everything) which is refreshing.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]