:laughing: 100 %
By Abernathy
A thread for discussing the slightly less farcical than the Coronation pantomime that will unfold on Saturday.

Last year, the contest was won by Ukraine, on a massive sympathy vote (because let’s be honest, the Ukrainian song was utter pish) because of Putin’s brutal aggression.

A year later, and Putin’s atrocities in Ukraine are still grimly continuing.

Given this, will the massive sympathy vote for this year’s pish Ukrainian song be reprised? Or will we just be back to other petty political point-scoring?

“I don’t give a flying fuck” is a valid answer.
By Abernathy
I’ve realised that the main thing that’s getting right on my tits about Eurovision is the totally over the top coverage being afforded it by the BBC. Specifically, it’s fully grown, adult human beings behaving like fucking toddlers that have over-dosed on kia-ora. These supposedly mature individuals are apparently “super excited” about the fucking Eurovision, and “can’t wait”. They’re all but pissing their fucking underpants. I’m left feeling distinctly underwhelmed about the thing, and possibly even somewhat embarassed for these ridiculous twats. It also reflects the incestuous nature of these dickheads. For example, they all refer effortlessly to that annual dancing shit show as “Strictly” - and most of them have fucking been on it, too.

It’s infantile, preposterous crap.I almost want my licence fee back.
By Youngian
Abernathy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:53 pm I’ve realised that the main thing that’s getting right on my tits about Eurovision is the totally over the top coverage being afforded it by the BBC. Specifically, it’s fully grown, adult human beings behaving like fucking toddlers that have over-dosed on kia-ora. These supposedly mature individuals are apparently “super excited” about the fucking Eurovision, and “can’t wait”. They’re all but pissing their fucking underpants. I’m left feeling distinctly underwhelmed about the thing, and possibly even somewhat embarassed for these ridiculous twats. It also reflects the incestuous nature of these dickheads. For example, they all refer effortlessly to that annual dancing shit show as “Strictly” - and most of them have fucking been on it, too.

Reads like the comment section of the Irish Times.

Despite regional bloc voting I remember this Latvian entry bombing with their neighbours but got top marks from UK and Ireland.
Last edited by Youngian on Fri May 12, 2023 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Oboogie
Abernathy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:53 pm I’ve realised that the main thing that’s getting right on my tits about Eurovision is the totally over the top coverage being afforded it by the BBC. Specifically, it’s fully grown, adult human beings behaving like fucking toddlers that have over-dosed on kia-ora. These supposedly mature individuals are apparently “super excited” about the fucking Eurovision, and “can’t wait”. They’re all but pissing their fucking underpants. I’m left feeling distinctly underwhelmed about the thing, and possibly even somewhat embarassed for these ridiculous twats. It also reflects the incestuous nature of these dickheads. For example, they all refer effortlessly to that annual dancing shit show as “Strictly” - and most of them have fucking been on it, too.

I don't understand why you put yourself through it. I've not watched Eurovision since I was a child. I decided then there was nothing for me there and that would have been in the early 70s.
By Abernathy
Oboogie wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:35 pm I don't understand why you put yourself through it. I've not watched Eurovision since I was a child. I decided then there was nothing for me there and that would have been in the early 70s.
I don’t “put myself through it”. But it’s there, and like all the elements of popular culture, particularly those propagated by the national broadcaster, it’s fair game for comment, especially of the jaundiced kind.

Do you also tell people to “just scroll on”, and say “if you’ve nothing to hide, you’ve nothing to fear” ?
By Oboogie
Abernathy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:01 pm
I don’t “put myself through it”. But it’s there, and like all the elements of popular culture, particularly those propagated by the national broadcaster, it’s fair game for comment, especially of the jaundiced kind.

Do you also tell people to “just scroll on”, and say “if you’ve nothing to hide, you’ve nothing to fear” ?
Of course not and nor did I say that to you - why would you have anything to fear from Eurovision?
No. I am merely making the observation that I find it puzzling that you allow Eurovision to annoy you, which it clearly does.
It doesn't annoy me because I don't watch it or any of the associated coverage so it's only through social media comments such as yours that I know of it.
You posted your comments in a forum of which I'm a member, they intrigued me, so I replied to them.
That's how forums work.
Are you telling me that I should have scrolled on instead?
By soulboy
Much debate about avoiding Eurovision content but, if you found yourself channel hopping this week, it was inescapable.

Bargain Hunt Eurovision Special
Pointless Celebrities Eurovision Special
Hit List Eurovision Special

The list goes on. Cheryl Baker hasn't been as busy in years. I half expected her to pop up in Monty Don's garden.
By Abernathy
Been watching Detectorists on the Iplayer all night to avoid the europish, but I dipped in a minute ago just for shits and giggles. I know why The songs mostly don’t excite or interest me.

Too much bombastic shrieking. They all do it. Hannah Waddingham’s causing my hormones to bubble, mind.
Last edited by Abernathy on Sat May 13, 2023 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By kreuzberger
Abernathy wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:12 pm Been watching Detectorists on the Iplayer all night to avoid the europish, but I dipped in a minute ago just for shits and giggles. I know why The songs mostly don’t excite or interest me.

Too much bombastic shrieking. They all do it. Hannah Waddingham’s causing my hormones to bubble, mind.
Amid all the performative screaming queenery and the barely intelligible northern slappers, the nonsense which gets my goat the most is the wild claims that "creativity" is at the heart of what is being churned out.

It isn't, of course. The whole reason behind said pish was to demonstrate the technical ability of the engineers to deliver synchronised, mass broadcasting. Moreover, force-feeding that formulaic racket in to autotune software is the very antithesis of creativity. Null points.
Watchman liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]