By Youngian
Telegraph owner on verge of administration as talks break down

Lloyds Banking Group has come to blows with Press Acquisitions, the company controlled by the Barclay family that owns the newspapers’ parent company, Telegraph Media Group (TMG), over around £65 million in loans.

According to Times reports, the bank is prepared to call in a restructuring advisory group and appoint insolvency practitioners “within days” as the situation unravels. https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... wn-350233/

Ha ha, indeed. The paper has always been an ideological loss leader for the Barclays to gain influence and shift the nation’s direction. Now they’ve done that and their gamble was a disaster, any further money for the Torygraph would be sunk cost fallacy.*

* Business term for sinking dead money into a failing project you’re emotionally attached to. But pretending to investors its about long term returns.
By Watchman
When visiting a foreign city or country, I work on the principle that I want to explore and see the sights, not spend all my time stuck in a soulless building
Oboogie liked this
By Bones McCoy
Watchman wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:29 pm When visiting a foreign city or country, I work on the principle that I want to explore and see the sights, not spend all my time stuck in a soulless building
I was going to post something similar.

Imagine your holiday.
We flew to Texas and spent all day in malls identical o the ones in Kentucky.
By Andy McDandy
They all have that "I am very clever actually" look, don't they?
In September 2022, Heath welcomed the mini-budget submitted by the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer, Kwasi Kwarteng, with unbridled enthusiasm. In a front page commentary in The Daily Telegraph, Heath wrote:

This was the best Budget I have ever heard a British Chancellor deliver, by a massive margin. The tax cuts were so huge and bold, the language so extraordinary, that at times, listening to Kwasi Kwarteng, I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming, that I hadn’t been transported to a distant land that actually believed in the economics of Milton Friedman and F A Hayek.

The budget was one of the primary factors which triggered a financial crisis in the UK. The chancellor was fired three weeks later and his tax cuts were withdrawn, followed six days later by the resignation of Prime Minister Liz Truss.
By Youngian
Baffling as to why a commercial publisher would pay £600m for this loss making shit heap.
The German media giant which publishes Die Welt, one of Europe's leading newspapers, has joined the race to buy The Daily Telegraph and its Sunday sister title.

Sky News can exclusively reveal that Axel Springer has registered its interest in acquiring the British broadsheets. https://news.sky.com/story/german-media ... n-12973041
By Boiler
Guardian piece on Sir Paul Marshall, one of the front-runners.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... -telegraph

Marshall, who is worth £680m according to the Sunday Times Rich List, already has a public record for transformational zeal in the education system that is equalled only by his campaigning enthusiasm for Britain’s future outside Europe. One of his fans is Baroness Morgan, a former chair of Ofsted and one-time political secretary to Tony Blair. As adviser to Marshall’s academy schools chain, Ark, she has praised his “single-minded obsession” with changing the lives of poor children through education, adding that he “commits brain, time and money to making that happen”.

It is an unexpected testimonial from Sally Morgan for a Brexiter Tory party donor, but then there are plenty of complicating factors for those who may want to portray Marshall as a single-note, rightwing disruptor, with little understanding of journalism. For one thing, he worked for a while as a backroom adviser to the Liberal Democrats, even standing unsuccessfully for a parliamentary seat in 1987, and for another thing, his sister is Penny Marshall, the admired and experienced ITV news correspondent. He also chairs the independent thinktank CentreForum and his son, Winston, was a member of the voguish folk band Mumford & Sons.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]