By Abernathy
Pretty sure we’ve discussed the nature of “celebrity” before, but I note that, in a dread sign of the approaching autumn, the BBC has begun to announce the names of the alleged “celebrities” who will be participating in the bewilderingly popular “Strictly Come Dancing” programme, known, somehow, to those in the know, as well as those not in the know, simply as “Strictly”.

The latest glamourous name? The celebrated Eddie Kadi. Who? I hear you intone in unison. You’re not alone. The Yorkshire Post, not necessarily in the grand tradition of Yorkshire curmudgeonliness , shares your bewilderment:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/tv/ ... e-27468340

I had thought the settled definition of “celebrity” was “somebody that has been on the telly”, but it now seems to have gone well beyond that.

Apparently, Eddie is a DJ. Like Jimmy Savile. Though not, I hope, in every way. :|
By Watchman
The view from Mrs Watch, with occasional input from me
Mrs Watch is a total devotee of SCD, this is enhanced by the fact she had dancing lesson in her early teens, (and then she met me, but that's a different story!), and understands the techniques and what all the moves and different dances are, plus she loves the costumes and all the sparkly stuff, So when she's watching it on a Saturday night, I may be in the room from time to time, which leads me to my take on the "celebrity" aspect; I've not heard of probably 90% of those appearing, but my view on that, all celebrities nowadays aren't just on the television, and I get the BBC want to appeal to a wider demographic than the original Come Dancing generation, and steer away from those who are all over the television and offer nothing new, (the likes of Gregg Wallace, Eammon Holmes) in fact what I have picked up on is that those who's faces are "more well know" tend to have fragile egos, expect to be treated as celebrities, and don't necessarily accept comments/criticism, whereas the younger unknowns get into the process, put the effort in and generally come across as more personable
By Abernathy
Nowhere else to put this, so. . .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66526446

If Bernstein hadn’t happened to be Jewish, would anybody be even slightly bothered about Bradley Cooper (who?) portraying him in a biopic wearing a prosthetic hooter ?
Attachments
IMG_2095.jpeg
IMG_2095.jpeg (41.43 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
By Abernathy
Oboogie wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:10 pm Will "prosthetic hooters" one day be regarded in the same way as blacking up?
Never mind one day, it seems to be so currently, to judge by this hoo-hah. But ily if you're portraying someone Jewish. Gentiles with massive conks seem to get a pass.
Oboogie liked this
By Oboogie
Abernathy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:47 am
Oboogie wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:10 pm Will "prosthetic hooters" one day be regarded in the same way as blacking up?
Never mind one day, it seems to be so currently, to judge by this hoo-hah. But ily if you're portraying someone Jewish. Gentiles with massive conks seem to get a pass.
As do prosthetic Hooters...but that's another story.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]