:sunglasses: 16.7 % :laughing: 83.3 %
By Bones McCoy
MisterMuncher wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:38 am Metal that doesn't at least nod at it's inherent campiness and ridiculousness is irredeemable pish. This is mostly why British and European death metal shites from a great height on the American equivalent.
That was the genius of Lowestoft's finest - The Darkness.

At a time when metal had withdrawn / been banished form the public space.
Along come these guys with Van Halen hair, Queen style guitar riffs and high camp presentation.
Almost a massive nostalgia act, but original enough, and competent enough to maintain their own identity.

Motorhead were another example who avoided the cookie cutter "Just another metal band" image.

But a wee tip of the hat to Slade - who shocked the rock world when they played Donnington, and Status Quo who just carry on regardless.

Outside the UK you see something similar with the Finnish and Italian Eurovision winners.
By Andy McDandy
Some great bands from Germany and the former eastern bloc, and Scandinavia. Powerwolf are great - they did a song called Demons are a Girl's Best Friend. There's also Turisas, who did an excellent cover of Ra Ra Rasputin. Even Rammstein, despite their image, know how to have fun (see the Mein Land or Amerika videos for examples).

Also, seems to be a Scottish thing but there's Pirate Metal which is quite fun. Check out Alestorm or Rumahoy.
By Spoonman
Andy McDandy wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:36 am Even Rammstein, despite their image, know how to have fun (see the Mein Land or Amerika videos for examples).
A common theme in many Rammstein videos is keyboard player Flake being the comic relief in a self deprecating way. I think the band know not to take themselves far too seriously and several interviews I've read of them often point out that they enjoy the (occasionally OTT) theatre of their concerts.

OTOH, I don't know enough to consider myself knowledgeable on the heavy metal genre, but the comparison of European & American acts is a good one in my estimation. For example I've been told that 'muricas Manowar take what they do very, very seriously, even to the point as to completely miss how homoerotic they often appear (the Anthology compilation album being a great example).

By MisterMuncher
Spoonman wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:30 pm
Andy McDandy wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:36 am Even Rammstein, despite their image, know how to have fun (see the Mein Land or Amerika videos for examples).
A common theme in many Rammstein videos is keyboard player Flake being the comic relief in a self deprecating way. I think the band know not to take themselves far too seriously and several interviews I've read of them often point out that they enjoy the (occasionally OTT) theatre of their concerts.

OTOH, I don't know enough to consider myself knowledgeable on the heavy metal genre, but the comparison of European & American acts is a good one in my estimation. For example I've been told that 'muricas Manowar take what they do very, very seriously, even to the point as to completely miss how homoerotic they often appear (the Anthology compilation album being a great example).

Manowar are painfully serious. It's part of what makes them absolutely fucking turgid, which is no mean feat given they're working in a sub-genre of metal that's really all about big, anthemic tunes. For contrast you get euro bands writing songs about rendering stolen corpses into solvents for sniffing that are fucking hilarious.
By MisterMuncher
Mr Dickinson, and his band Iron Maiden are known for songs that allude variously to history and legend. By comparison, these Swedish gentlemen make it plain such allusions are pretty simplistic, a bit Boy's Own and nowhere near as heavy going as they should or could be, resembling Ms. King's more sedate, placid pop-folk.
By Yug
It should be mentioned that Iron Maiden, several of whose albums I possess, are musicians, not teachers. Their songs were written for entertainment purposes, not as history lessons. Simplistic is fine as they're not intended to instruct.
By Malcolm Armsteen
MisterMuncher wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:39 pm Mr Dickinson, and his band Iron Maiden are known for songs that allude variously to history and legend. By comparison, these Swedish gentlemen make it plain such allusions are pretty simplistic, a bit Boy's Own and nowhere near as heavy going as they should or could be, resembling Ms. King's more sedate, placid pop-folk.
Thank you.
By Watchman
Rosvanian wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:06 pm Enough heavy metal. Let's get on to the prog bands where the lyrical fun really starts. Close to the Edge anyone?
Close To The Edge I could just about take, but by the the time they got to Tales From Topographic Ocean…..I was out
By Rosvanian
Bones McCoy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:25 pm
Rosvanian wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:06 pm Enough heavy metal. Let's get on to the prog bands where the lyrical fun really starts. Close to the Edge anyone?
I get up.
I get down.

James Brown wants his lyrics back.
The thing with Anderson's lyrics is that I really, really WANT them to mean something. Someone, somewhere must have cracked Siberian Khatru.
By Youngian
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:02 pm
MisterMuncher wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:39 pm Mr Dickinson, and his band Iron Maiden are known for songs that allude variously to history and legend. By comparison, these Swedish gentlemen make it plain such allusions are pretty simplistic, a bit Boy's Own and nowhere near as heavy going as they should or could be, resembling Ms. King's more sedate, placid pop-folk.
Thank you.
Songs devoid of any emotion and not even ballads charting the deeds of a heroic individual.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]