:sunglasses: 27.6 % :pray: 13.8 % :laughing: 34.5 % 🧥 1.7 % :cry: 13.8 % :🤗 6.9 % :poo: 1.7 %
By Yug
satnav wrote:Apparently the plan is to set up a royal commission after the election to consider the finer detail. So this is actually a pipedream rather than a serious policy proposal.
And is counterproductive in that it now has the retired colonels and their ilk out in the shires discussing how stupid the Tories are.
Oboogie liked this
By Bones McCoy
satnav wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:05 am Apparently the plan is to set up a royal commission after the election to consider the finer detail. So this is actually a pipedream rather than a serious policy proposal.
Party of government demonstrate they can't conduct a simple election campaign.
Then go on to demonstrate they can't brainstorm a policy.

If this were a challenge featuring a mob of Hoorays on the Apprentice it would be entertaining.
These people are in charge of our lives and our nation.
By Yug
Talk of military service has always gone down well with the people who won't have to do it. 500 years ago Erasmus said "Dulce bellum inexpertis", and he was only rehashing something Plato had said over 1500 years before that.
By Malcolm Armsteen
The omnishambles continues.
CCHQ has compiled a list of Tory MPs who are - shall we say - sub par in performance. OK.
They have then emailed the list - which allegedly includes details of a wife's medical condition - to all candidates.

Seems that this plays to the growing sense that this campaign is purely in the hands of Ricki and his SPADs, a group that seems to have been recruited on their connections rather than their talent.

Perhaps they should have given the job to a couple of 18 year olds on National Service...
Arrowhead liked this
By Abernathy
Birmingham City Council is looking for a new Chief Executive and the strong rumour is that
Street is in the frame for it, if not the favourite for the job. It has its challenges, for sure, but it pays a damn sight better than an MP's salary. I'm sure Andy is eyeing it up.
By Samanfur
Youngian wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:36 am
Yug wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:45 am A big argument against it comes from the armed forces themselves. They don't want to be wasting their time and resources nannying surly teenagers who don't really want to be there.
Conscripts are handy as cannon fodder to keep your hardened professional soldiers alive. Project Fear you say? Yeh I’ll give you Project Fear while canvassing young parents on the doorstep. But there’s always community service so your kids can be treated like criminals at the weekends.
There was a woman at Sunak's press conference in Stoke this morning asking if the scheme could be extended to older people, for example, prisoners and ex prisoners, because her two sons're in their twenties and thirties, in her words "more brawn than brains", and would have benefited from it.

Suspected translation: both are dumb as a bag of hammers, both have done time in one of HM's holiday camps, and could someone please babysit them and actually see if they could do something useful?

Sunak was non-commital.

I don't doubt that the organisations involved would be just as thrilled with a bunch of recalcitrant prisoners as a bunch of surly teenagers, even without the potential safeguarding issues.
Andy McDandy liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
Samanfur wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:35 pm
There was a woman at Sunak's press conference in Stoke this morning asking if the scheme could be extended to older people, for example, prisoners and ex prisoners, because her two sons're in their twenties and thirties, in her words "more brawn than brains", and would have benefited from it.

Suspected translation: both are dumb as a bag of hammers, both have done time in one of HM's holiday camps, and could someone please babysit them and actually see if they could do something useful?

Sunak was non-commital.

I don't doubt that the organisations involved would be just as thrilled with a bunch of recalcitrant prisoners as a bunch of surly teenagers, even without the potential safeguarding issues.
They already do a fair bit of that. A bloke I knew at university joined the army, and one time I saw him he was joking about how he was spending too much time in court with soldiers who'd been nudged towards the army by judges, but had carried on committing crimes. Another time I saw him he was more positive about what you could achieve in time. So I guess it works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. This was some time before the big MOD cuts.

I doubt the army wants many more young offenders heading their way though.
By davidjay
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 2:05 pm
Samanfur wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:35 pm

Sunak was non-commital.

They already do a fair bit of that. A bloke I knew at university joined the army, and one time I saw him he was joking about how he was spending too much time in court with soldiers who'd been nudged towards the army by judges, but had carried on committing crimes. Another time I saw him he was more positive about what you could achieve in time. So I guess it works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. This was some time before the big MOD cuts.

I doubt the army wants many more young offenders heading their way though.
You could say the same about every form of rehabilitation. Sometimes the carrot works and sometimes the stick.
By Oboogie
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:13 pm
Youngian wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:11 pm We’ve reached peak Tory, a former army colonel who now writes in the Telegraph about the need for ungrateful young layabouts to do national service.
Furlough? They were at primary school.
Using the estimates Malcolm posted earlier (Royal Commission etc), if this policy were ever implemented, it wouldn't be for at least six years so the first cohort are currently twelve. Today's eighteen year olds would be in the clear.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]