:sunglasses: 41 % :pray: 8.6 % :laughing: 29.5 % 🧥 4.8 % :cry: 12.4 % :🤗 3.8 %
By Youngian
Crabcakes wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:51 am He looks like he’s a de-aged Ronnie Barker about to deliver one of his absurd government information style monologues.

“Good evening. I am a member of the Conservative and Unionist New Team Squad, though I have been strongly advised to suggest you not try and abbreviate this as it may make your eyes water.”
Uncanny, I didn’t see your post before writing the same conclusion :lol:
Crabcakes liked this
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:48 am Words fail...
Image.jpeg
I really struggle to understand young Tories. I always thought that younger people were supposed to be, you know, politically idealistic. Concerned about changing things for the better and improving things for fellow human beings, like.

One very cursory glance at its record in government over the last 14 years is enough to tell you that the party of these specimens' choice has absolutely bugger all to do with any of that improving stuff.

So, what's the attraction? What's going on ?
Abernathy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:35 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:48 am Words fail...
Image.jpeg
I really struggle to understand young Tories. I always thought that younger people were supposed to be, you know, politically idealistic. Concerned about changing things for the better and improving things for fellow human beings, like.

One very cursory glance at its record in government over the last 14 years is enough to tell you that the party of these specimens' choice has absolutely bugger all to do with any of that improving stuff.

So, what's the attraction? What's going on ?
A strong whiff of "The seat's been in the family for generations".
By davidjay
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:03 pm There aren't very many young Tories now. Even in 2010, there were quite a lot- IPSOS found 18-24s had the Tories only 1 point behind Labour and level with the Lib Dems.
Back then I recall seeing a story that said the Tories were seen by the youth as the party of aspiration. Without wanting to give him too much praise, I wonder if the one thing Corbyn did get right was to engage with them.
Abernathy liked this
I'd give Corbyn some credit too, though Brexit and house prices have surely done most of the work.

In 2010, I suppose a bunch of people who'd only seen Labour governments could easily think governing was easy and somebody else could do better. But the Tory score was only 30, same as the Lib Dem score.
All governments in power after a certain point get stale. By 2010, Brown's definitely was. At that point, a replacement is inevitable.

That said, this government went very stale very quickly. Probably the tuition fees u-turn was the first big sign. By 2012 they were launching the first shots in the culture war, accusing Blackadder of being unpatriotic in its take on WW1.
davidjay wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:55 pm Without wanting to give him too much praise, I wonder if the one thing Corbyn did get right was to engage with them(young people)
That's become somewhat mythical, and I'm not at all sure that it's actually true. Perhaps I'm ajust too much of an old cynic, but the young people that I engaged with as an organiser in the 2017 and 2019 elections that were enthusiastic about Corbyn had (IMO) one defining characteristic in common - that of egregious naivete. That said, most of the older Corbynites had that in common, too.
Oboogie liked this
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nda-policy

I've been a bit remiss in keeping up with Marina Hyde. Here's a good'un from last week:
Bonhams is holding a current auction of various props from The Crown, with the replica No 10 door they built for the series estimated at £30,000. And according to the Mail, Boris Johnson has only gone and put in a hefty bid for it. Surely this can’t be true? If it is, it honestly has to be one of the most pathetic things I’ve ever read. If only Johnson could have been given the big toy door some time in the 1990s, allowing him to play to his heart’s content and sparing the rest of us no end of grief.
Well, quite.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the other hand, that Johson can afford casually to spaff thirty grand on a fucking TV show prop speaks volumes of the corruption in public office that enabled him to accumulate obscene wealth.

By the way, I wonder whether Sunak got rid of that bloody awful interior decor that Johnson and his latest wife had commisioned with dodgy donor cash ?
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:19 am I'd give Corbyn some credit too, though Brexit and house prices have surely done most of the work.

In 2010, I suppose a bunch of people who'd only seen Labour governments could easily think governing was easy and somebody else could do better. But the Tory score was only 30, same as the Lib Dem score.
I remember towards the end of the Brown administration twentysomethings talking about three or four holidays a year, whether to get a BMW or an Audi and intending to vote Tory because "this government's done nothing for me."
Not at all. I’m sure Kreuzie’s lad’s false 10 Downing Street door is of the best quality and well worth thirty grand. I wa just observing how sickening it is that someone like Johnson is able casually to lay out thirty grand of his ill-gotten gains to buy it on a vanity-driven whim.
Bones McCoy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:33 pm Johnson brags he'd happily do national service.
Says the man whom hid in a fridge from a breakfast TV interviewer. :lol:

Anyone nowadays that still doesn't think Alex isn't full of shit needs to be sent to the local Homebase and told to ask a member of staff for a long stand.
mattomac liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]