:sunglasses: 28.1 % :pray: 14 % :laughing: 33.3 % 🧥 1.8 % :cry: 14 % :🤗 7 % :poo: 1.8 %
By Youngian
So Roman emperors sounded more like Italians than British Shakespearean actors bringing some gravitas to a tacky expensive epic. Gore Vidal, who script wrote one of those Hollywood Roman epics, noted the Brits likes to play Greeks to America’s imperial Rome in real life as well as on screen. ‘The British should know better than indulging in such foolishness,’ Vidal concluded.

On a similar line I heard that there was no association between pirates and West Country accents before Robert Newton played Long John Silver in the 1950s.
By MisterMuncher
I remember when Fallout New Vegas* came out, a few people got very irritable that the Caesar's Legion** faction in-game were pronouncing Caesar with a hard "c", and various other entirely historically correct but unusual pronunciations rather than the ones they were used to. Generally, the sort of people who like to tell you how very clever they are

*Post-apocalyptic video game, very retro-futuristic in aesthetic, with a good few hours of anyone's time.
**For a game that tended towards shares of grey for factional mortality, having no truly angelic or evil groups in-timeline (beyond random raiders, who were at best just canon fodder anyway), the Legion were a rare example of a genuinely evil faction with no real motivation beyond terror and dominance.
By Malcolm Armsteen
It's complicated...

Off the top of my head:

There are modern evolutions of dead languages (eg Italian from Vulgar Latin). Using the patterns which have been established in that language (or group of languages) vowel and consonant shifts can be established (the Great Vowel Shift, Grimm's Law et al).

This is also relevant to the Champolleon's translation of the Rosetta Stone by comparison with modern Coptic which gave him the phonetic values of hieroglyphs, given the known IE shifts and Grimm.

By transcription into a known contemporary language (the translation of Cicero into Greek gives [kikero] so we know that in Classical Latin the 'c' was a hard consonant.

By comparison with the donor language in the case of loan words (though this is much more in evidence in Modern English (RP)).

Onomatopoeia. The sounds made by animals and things do not change over time, so even if the symbols for the phonemes of those words no longer match (for example, if transcribed from Ancient Greek cats go 'fif' not 'wow' we have a phonetic value for those words in antiquity.
By Cyclist
Malcolm has the brief version.

It's *very* complicated... and utterly fascinating. Stephen Oppenheimer goes into the reconstruction of dead languages and the (as yet inaccurate, but improving) dating of language shifts and splits in some depth in his excellent book "The Origins of the British - a genetic detective story", which I am about 3/4 of the way through, and my mind is thoroughly boggled!

https://www.bradshawfoundation.com/brit ... ritish.php
By Boiler
MisterMuncher wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:53 am I remember when Fallout New Vegas* came out, a few people got very irritable that the Caesar's Legion** faction in-game were pronouncing Caesar with a hard "c", and various other entirely historically correct but unusual pronunciations rather than the ones they were used to.
Certainly in modern Italian, c followed by a would render the 'C' hard: if followed by e or i it's pronounced as though there's an h between the two letters, but to harden it you write an h between them - see the Italian spelling of kilogramme, made necessary because the Italian alphabet doesn't have a k in it...
By MisterMuncher
Which is why my teeth itch when a few folk of my acquaintance talk about their "Bee-an-chee" bikes.

And yanks who shorten Campagnolo to "campy".
By Boiler
kreuzberger wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:35 pm Brushetta, that's the one that tips me over the edge. [/i]
I have an almost-irresistible urge to punch the lights out of anyone who says that in my earshot - and especially when they try and tell me I'm wrong.

Okay, I only got a grade C for my O-level Italian, but... :evil:
kreuzberger liked this
By kreuzberger
Without a doubt!

My Italian is self-taught, having had a wee but and ben in rural Liguria where no speaka da lingo is just not a viable option if you want to get something fixed or wriggle out of totally fictitious fine from the Commune.

It is about at that middling O-level standard but I learned it on the spot from native speakers although I have been dug up in restaurants too for the hard SHKH sound, invariably by some snotty little twat who has never been within a thousand miles of Naples. I am somewhat milder in my reactions these days and find that a brief Kreuzberg death-stare is probably enough.

It wasn't always the case.
By Crabcakes
kreuzberger wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:35 pm Brushetta, that's the one that tips me over the edge. That and fucking lar-taay

Those deeply irritating Galbani commercials on LBC actually make a good point.
What I can't bear is people (often Americans, but increasingly UK foodies as well) who are talking in a perfectly normal way and then when they discuss Italian food a hardcore accent appears from nowhere. For example I was listening to a podcast the other day and as an aside they mentioned risotto. Only the person who mentioned it pronounced it Ahrrrrrrrrizzoh-toh, as if pronouncing it in such an absurd way gives him special insight into a pile of damp rice.

I suspect if he asks for an espresso it sounds like he's in the process of biting his own tongue off.
Oboogie, kreuzberger, Boiler and 1 others liked this
By Bones McCoy
Crabcakes wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:00 pm
kreuzberger wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:35 pm Brushetta, that's the one that tips me over the edge. That and fucking lar-taay

What I can't bear is people (often Americans, but increasingly UK foodies as well) who are talking in a perfectly normal way and then when they discuss Italian food a hardcore accent appears from nowhere. For example I was listening to a podcast the other day and as an aside they mentioned risotto. Only the person who mentioned it pronounced it Ahrrrrrrrrizzoh-toh, as if pronouncing it in such an absurd way gives him special insight into a pile of damp rice.

I suspect if he asks for an espresso it sounds like he's in the process of biting his own tongue off.
Meekro-wavvie
By kreuzberger
Crabcakes wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:00 pm

By MisterMuncher
I had a head chef who did the heavy Italian accent thing.

Once he had a brigade over-pronouncing everything in suitable native accents it started to slip away. Haggis may have been the turning point.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]