:sunglasses: 28.1 % :pray: 14 % :laughing: 33.3 % 🧥 1.8 % :cry: 14 % :🤗 7 % :poo: 1.8 %
By Abernathy
So sorry to hear that Amess has died. The awful circumstances of this murder are so similar to and re-kindle such horrible memories of 5 years ago, when the dreadful news of the murder of dear Jo Cox broke. The shock, the waiting to hear if she was okay, eventually the grim news that she was gone. All so similar to what has happened to David Amess today.

Questions need to be asked. Not irrelevant is the question of the toxic cynicism and antipathy that we've seen develop, and be encouraged, about and towards our elected representatives.
Last edited by Abernathy on Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Abernathy
The Weeping Angel wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:17 pm We also need to look at MP's security as well.
Well, the problem is that we already *have* looked at security measures for MPs, particularly at constituency surgeries, following the attacks not only on Jo Cox, but also on Stephen Timms, Nigel Jones, and others.

I know for a fact that Jess Phillips, for instance, has had extra security measures installed at her home because of death threats . There is without doubt a balance to be struck between keeping our elected representatives safe, and ensuring that access to them remains open and readily available. I don't think it is realistic, or desirable, to have our MPs constantly cocooned in permanently draconian security protection measures that actively restrict the vital work that must entail contact with constituents.

We do need to look seriously and urgently at the causes and factors involved in the toxic and cynical attitudes to our elected representatives , and those in news media who promote and encourage them - and can lead to tragedies such as this.
Andy McDandy liked this
By mattomac
Everyone has a role to play in a functioning society, too many don't seem able to play their roles anymore or don't want too.

Very few go into politics to give themselves something for nothing but the attitude of that is everywhere. I wouldn't wish this on Donald Trump and he is an example of someone who did but then he is also one of those stirring this attitude up to the max, the media, other elected people, society in general all play a part in where we ended up 5 years ago with Jo and where we have ended up today with David Amess.

And it's utterly horrific and depressing, yes your views should be challenged and I probably didn't agree with David Amess on much but I agreed on one thing, he had the right to be a politician who should have been free from violence and death

My thoughts with his family and friends.

Oh and if you see anyone speaking there branes on this, point out they are an idiot and block them and encourage others to do so, we don't need to give stupidity it's oxygen.

I sadly know this is going come from some on the far left.
By Crabcakes
Apparently a 25-year-old man has been arrested. Obviously this is an absolutely appalling event, but what worries me now is who this man is. Because with a cruel home secretary like Patel and a shameless opportunist in Johnson, I dread to think what they might use a tragedy like this to force through in the knowledge that any opposition will be presented as endorsing murder.
By Malcolm Armsteen
Time for a moment of quiet reflection.

And perhaps other parties will consider not contesting the election of Sir David's successor.

That way the murderer does not win.
kreuzberger, Oboogie, Boiler and 1 others liked this
By kreuzberger
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:17 pm Time for a moment of quiet reflection.

And perhaps other parties will consider not contesting the election of Sir David's successor.

That way the murderer does not win.
Indeed, I think that most sane people would welcome that as a gesture of real solidarity.

(Not the Vote Leave mob who ramped up their spend while Jo Cox was still warm or the maniac who was last week calling for Labour MPs to be bombed, obviously.)
Boiler liked this
By The All New KevS
Crabcakes wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:35 pm Apparently a 25-year-old man has been arrested. Obviously this is an absolutely appalling event, but what worries me now is who this man is. Because with a cruel home secretary like Patel and a shameless opportunist in Johnson, I dread to think what they might use a tragedy like this to force through in the knowledge that any opposition will be presented as endorsing murder.
GBeebies (yes, I know) are reporting that the perpetrator is a Somali national. If so, prepare for the discourse to plunge to new depths.
By Son Of Hand
Back in 1984, property developers were trying to tear up the countryside around my town. I was only 16 at the time, but I felt very strongly about this and so was our MP, who had only been in the job for a year. My mate Kevin and I visited him at a Saturday surgery - not to be political (neither of us are Tory and never will be), but to thank him
for taking that stand. He was surprised and delighted to receive a visit from teenage constituents.

We met a few times over the next decades. He supported the fundraising of our local hospice, a cause with which my mother was involved. She once asked him if he remembered her son, and he did, and was really interested in how I was doing. I wrote to encourage his animal rights work, and we last met at the official opening of the hospice.

He became a bit of a tit when he got his safe seat, and was fully taken in by that 'cake' business, but he was always a constituency MP, with no interest in the trappings of power. Compared with the current lot in charge, Amess was a gem.

Feeling exhausted by this news.
By Malcolm Armsteen
The All New KevS wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:43 pm
Crabcakes wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:35 pm Apparently a 25-year-old man has been arrested. Obviously this is an absolutely appalling event, but what worries me now is who this man is. Because with a cruel home secretary like Patel and a shameless opportunist in Johnson, I dread to think what they might use a tragedy like this to force through in the knowledge that any opposition will be presented as endorsing murder.
GBeebies (yes, I know) are reporting that the perpetrator is a Somali national. If so, prepare for the discourse to plunge to new depths.
So is The Mail.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]